Audio Output sounds compressed

taxinyc

Reaction score
Is it just me? Does your razr have the same quality as an ipod through the headphones jack? Sounds compresses- less dynamic range.

Hope mine is ok. Past 14 days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

garywojdan81

Reaction score
Mine sounds fine & is comparable to the output of the wolfson chip in the fascinate with voodoo sound. Headphones can determine alot as well. I finally got a good set & have been amazed at the difference.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Is it just me? Does your razr have the same quality as an ipod through the headphones jack? Sounds compresses- less dynamic range.

Hope mine is ok. Past 14 days.

The fact is, the audio processor in the Droid RAZR is comparable, if not superior to the one in the iPhone. If you are used to the sound characteristics of the iPhone, and then listen to a Droid, you may get the impression that the Droid sounds flat, dull, lifeless, compressed, or less vibrant. This is unfortunately due not to any lack of accurate reproduction of sound by the Droid, but instead to the artificial "enhancements" that the iPhone makes to its audio reproduction in order to make it sound more alive. It's not much different to the untrained ear than boosting the treble and bass on your home receiver, or perhaps doing some boosting and cutting of levels on an equalizer.

The output of the Droids can be "enhanced" as well, but you would benefit from listening to it in its raw (read "flat")) form for a while, to acclimate yourself to what the audio sounds like without such artificial manipulation. If you ever get to hear the audio of a well engineered recording on some top audiophile equipment, where it is being played without any enhancement, you would understand what it it's to hear a flat frequency response. This is the way the engineer in the studio intended it to sound, and once you are acclimated to uncolored audio, you'll appreciate it more.

There are a couple preset enhancements to the audio on the Droid RAZR, which I recommend you deactivate, but it's your call. If you go to settings/sound/media audio effects, and choose either "wired stereo speakers" or"phone speaker" you'll see the options and what had been preset at the factory. For me, I've disabled the effects on both wired and phone speakers, but again, it's a personal preference. You may wish to play around with the settings and equalizer. You might find once you do, that you actually like the Droid's sound better.

OP
taxinyc

taxinyc

Reaction score
It doesn't sound bad really but definitely different. I hear things more pronounced when it used to be subtle.

Ipods must really tweak their sound.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It doesn't sound bad really but definitely different. I hear things more pronounced when it used to be subtle.

Ipods must really tweak their sound.

iPods and iPhones, in fact they do. This is because their market demographic, at least based on their own studies, prefers audio enhancement to a flat frequency response. I personally prefer flat, and if I want any enhancement I will do it by way of the equipment I use rather than by waveform manipulation or Digital Signal Processing (DSP).

OP
taxinyc

taxinyc

Reaction score
Learn something everyday. Thanks FK.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Learn something everyday. Thanks FK.

Here's a really easy to read article that talks about just this subject. It specifically mentions the Wolfson chips used in earlier iPods and iPhones, but not in the iPhone 4 or iPad, however rumor has it that the iPhone 5 and future iterations are going back to the Wolfson technology.

Which iPod has the best quality audio?