ATTN: Stop hosting files on mediafire and rapidshare - details inside

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by stonedoubt, Jun 26, 2010.

1. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sick of people using these stupid services that charge for premium downloads and make you wait for x amount of seconds before allowing download. I have created a file hosting site specifically for android projects and you can link directly to the file. All you have to do to upload is register and you can even pull files from other servers.

Android Philes

Here is an example link

Flash Player for Android
    com.adobe.flashplayer-1.apk

2. compywiz

compywiz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not meant to start anything... but how can you say you're sick of the sites that make you wait for x amount of seconds before allowing download, then when I click your sample link it says "Please Wait 5 more second(s) to download." then even makes you type in a captcha.

It's great that you're doing this, but your advertisement is slightly contradicting.

3. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try it again... I didn't realize it was doing that until I tried to download from my phone... it must set a cookie or something... it should be fixed now. It was still better than 45 seconds or whatever :)

I just tried it from 2 different browsers and my phone and it doesn't redirect to my site or require a wait time... it just downloads the file.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  4. craighwk

craighwk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes that's the price you pay for free hosting. It's annoying, but considering the alternatives, I'll deal with it.

There are always ways of getting around the download wait time.

5. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously? A minute isn't that bad.. Free is free.

6. jrodizkool01

jrodizkool01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you about rapidshare since it's slow and sucks but mediafire doesn't have any wait times and the download is extremely fast so I don't see why there is a problem with it.

7. hwanhunglo

hwanhunglo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I host files on rapidshare and I see your point, but I have a rapidshare account so that's why I use it. That being said, I haven't stumbled onto any links on this forum for roms and such that are on rapidshare. Most just download directly so I don't think it's a big enough deal to get all worked up about.

8. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are links to applications hosted on multiple sites like megaupload, etc. I would rather see direct links... so that is why I created this site...

9. Riddick

Riddick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The good thing about using something like rapidshare is that you know it's going to be there and the website wont just disappear one day. The wait time isn't bad at all, they do it for advertising reasons (to show their ads and for incentive to buy a premium account), bandwidth isn't free.

10. jroc

jroc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I was gonna say the same thing about mediafire. There is no wait time, and the downloads are fast. No captcha either. Its one of the easiest ones to use. Its not as fast at what you're doing tho stonedoubt....lol Direct link.....I like it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  11. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +2
    The flash apk came right down. I agree with a bigger site having a bigger chance of being available. There also is an advantage to a dev maintaining their own files, in case it needs to be pulled and fixed for some reason. I'd rather go after the file repository the dev uses, even if it is a bit slower, for that reason. People use those other services because the price is right and the ease of use isn't bad. But great gesture Stonedoubt. I'm sure some will take you up on your offer.

12. droidman101

droidman101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, can you enable it to let us upload from our droids? That'd be awesome, I hate dropbox.

13. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0

You better have some serious cash burning a hole in your pocket or some serious connections / hookups because, there is a reason people use those.... sites that make you wait.

from what I think I heard someone mention about rom manager on #koush irc. even 1 of the popular roms can hit multi TB's / day on new release... let a lone all of them. unless you have a few hundred terabytes available then sites that use timers will be the way of things.

or it could have been all of them together.. don't remember. I do remember the range total was multi TBs

I wonder what the total bandwidth used for mydroidworld was for that froyo release craze!? lots of big tech news blogs and sites posted about it they had massive traffic 0_o

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  14. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I am a professional web developer and have run my own business for almost 10 years... I have had the dedicated server that this site is hosted on for over 5 years... no worries about the site disappearing anytime soon. :)

15. stonedoubt

stonedoubt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll plan an app for that... In am busy with some other projects at the moment but it's doable and not that difficult to make.