1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

attn. kernel users p3 vs. bekits

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by marcogiudice, Jun 2, 2010.

1. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

i need everyones expriencewith kernels, whats working better for as in lower temps and better battery life..
    bekits run alittle cooler then p3 but has horrible battery life
    p3 runs a tad warmer but has double battery life compared to bekits
    as i know rom mean alot also! so im on ud's new era 1.45
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

hi Marco,

There is no single commonality with these kernels. Some run excellent on one ROM and won't boot on another. Some people can't boot with a certain speed/voltage/kernel while others can.

Chevy's, P3, Bekit are all FANTASTIC kernels and there are WAY too many variables for an overall rating of them.

As an example. For me running Bekits kernel on Ultimate Droid gave me good temps/battery life. I upgraded to New Era and P3's ran much better for me. I can't boot up on Darkedge with a Bekit or a P3 but Chevy's purr like a kitten.

So it really is trial an error. What works for me may or may not work for you and vice versa.

Bottom line though is that they all make AWESOME kernels but unfortunately there is a wildy varying experience among users.
  3. marcogiudice

marcogiudice New Member

hey ck, i totally agree with you on that one, i guess your right! so let me ask you this was is considered good battery life for you 8-10 hrs, 12-15 or 15-24 with normal to heavy use, cuz right now im only get 8-10hr.. when i use to get 15+ hrs with p3 on new era 1.25 with heavy use and game playing.. and i read your thing about the rom your useing now that was the best for battery liffe,
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  4. mcapozzi

mcapozzi New Member

I guess I don't understand why at a given clock speed/voltage, would one kernel use less power than another?

If both kernels are doing the same amount of background processing, and are running at the same voltage/speed, I don't get why one would consume less power than the others.

There are only SO many tweaks you can do to a kernel.

I wish there would be some serious benchmarking to see what the ACTUAL differences are between the kernels. If you look on these forums every kernel is faster/cooler/more energy efficient than the others.

-Mike
  5. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Marco I can EASILY get a 15 hour day on one charge under heavy use and still have 30% at the end of the day.
  6. mrdroid

mrdroid New Member

15hr? I'm using JRummy Remix .8 w/bekit 1ghz and I easily get 48hr between charges. I get 50% drain/day. Most used apps being My Tracks, Music and Email.
  7. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

The thing is the definition of low/moderate/heavy use varies wildly from person to person. What is considered heavy to one person, can be considered very light to another. I play SNES, Dungeon Hunter, check emails, surf the web, get on FML, read Funny Jokes, Text, make a few calls, install some new rom/kernel/theme, check the weather, check craigslist, use PhoneMyPC etc. According to Battery left a full charge gets me just under 10 hours, which, with all that i do on my phone, i consider great battery life.
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Kernels are so easy to flash, why not just try each one and see which works best with your particular phone?
  9. obededom

obededom New Member

^^^ very good post, exactly...my phone likes p3, burns up on bekit. One of my clients is exactly opposite
  10. spilt

spilt New Member