ATTENTION Those With WifiTether Issues

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ChevyNo1, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    For anyone having issues with wifi, specifically all appears well on the phone, but nothing can see your network ...

If you have not gone into the settings of the wifi tether app, do so and change anything, ie. the channel to 7. Then restart tether, and your network should become visible.

The reason is when the app is first run, it is not populating the prefs file unless you change a setting. Don't know why, guessing it's a 2.x bug with this app. But this should get you going.

This is why my patcher app worked for quite a few of you, as part of the patch I supplied a default prefs file and it worked right away without having to go into settings.

This may not fix everyone's problem, but I can guarantee it will fix a few. To verify I re-installed the sholes 1.0 again on top of a virginoem 2.0.1. Started tether, rebooted, started again, everything looked correct on the phone, but no network. Stopped tether. Changed channel to 7. Started tether. Network was visible.

2. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can be a witness to this post. My solution was to just change my ssid in settings then it worked perfectly.

3. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    DNS issues anyone? I can connect to the tether but cant browse anything.

4. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    I have seen that before ... sometimes, just disconnecting the client, stopping/restarting tether and then reconnecting client did the trick.

Also I've noticed that access control seems to break the connection in the new sholes ROM ... I've had to disable AC, disconnect the client, stop tether, restart, connect the client, then restart AC, then it's good. If I shut the phone down and restart, same thing over again. If you don't use AC, then no issues.

5. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL Chevy. Again I concur. I had issues so turned it off. However I did notice that when AC was on and I connected it defaults to no access. If you check the box next to the connected device then reconnect it worked for me.

6. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Ha ha thanks for backing me up blake! ;)

I think that has worked before for me as well, but not all the time ... I'll try it again

7. pinesal

pinesal Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, this didn't solve my problem. What can I do to determin what is wrong? I installed the latest roms that was suppose to have everything ready to go but nothing. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the laptop?

8. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    what do you see when you enter:

adb shell /data/data/android.tether/bin/iwconfig tiwlan0

9. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What exactly is it that is happening to you? When you say problem are you referring to the network being connected but wont browse any sites?

10. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - Ive tried several times -- can complete the authentication (open network) but can never resolve dns addresses!!! What should the ip of the gateway be? I have 192.168.2.254

11. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ok when you click start tethering BUT before you connect any computers click on menu and choose "show log". Everything should say done in green letters and nothing can fail. DNSmasq and the mac address are really important. Let us know what it says..

12. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to post a screen shot but the damn new Sholes ROM 1.0.1 -- definitely something wrong with it. Major slowdown after awhile and the MT browser seems to be the very old variant with the slow text entry (which I believe has been fixed in more recent releases). To make my whining just stop I'll just tell you the bottom line -- no errors were seen in the log. dnsmasg setup was the last line!!

Search tags for this page
ac-disable wifi tether
error 618 port not tethering blackberry three
what is transmit power on wireless tether

wifi tether ac disabled

wifi tether error failed transmit power
wifi tether setting transmit power error
wireless tether ac disabled
wireless tether set transmit power
wireless tether transmit power