Attempting to root, not having any luck

OP
L
Reaction score
OP please stop. Take the time to read up FIRST. I know you are excited but I spent many nights helping people unbrick their phones and 95% was because they missed a step or did not read. We, the rescue squad, will not tell you to search .

#1 I am not excited........ I am scared to death that I may wind up running this thing over with my car just so I can send it to assurion cause I screwed something up.

#2 I did read, and than read, and than read, and than read a little bit more. One post tells you one thing, one post tells you another, one person had good luck, one person got a $500 paperweight for their troubles. Someone told me to google it, I googled it and what I read and tried to apply did not work.

#3 I am asking for a little bit of guidance, not for your first born.

#4, everyone is sending me links and videos to different sites and different processes, I just want the one that works.

03civicdx

Reaction score
Dude, I told you read the sticky!!! Thats the one I used. Worked no problem. That's why I said read that one. You must be a fast reader or just careless. I wanted to root the day I got my x2 2 weeks ago. I just rooted it last night. I read up for 2 weeks to make sure I was comfortable with doing it. I did the same thing when I first rooted my D1 way back when.
AGAIN READ THE STICKY UP THERE!! I WORKS IF YOU READ IT AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
#1 I am not excited........ I am scared to death that I may wind up running this thing over with my car just so I can send it to assurion cause I screwed something up.

#2 I did read, and than read, and than read, and than read a little bit more. One post tells you one thing, one post tells you another, one person had good luck, one person got a $500 paperweight for their troubles. Someone told me to google it, I googled it and what I read and tried to apply did not work.

#3 I am asking for a little bit of guidance, not for your first born.

#4, everyone is sending me links and videos to different sites and different processes, I just want the one that works.

I understand being afraid. But that is why I want you to take your time and lets get organized. I posted the thread to get the files and you saw the video. The newer droids have locked bootloaders for a reason. Trust me I have bricked my fair share of devices and most of my bricks were a result of me jumping the gun or missing something. Now you have a dx2 right. If so lets make sure you get the right stuff, because if that rsdlite program would have started the program then you would have a brick phone right now.

OP
L
Reaction score
I downloaded 7zip but I am unsure how to use it, it gives me a file manager and a help file but it does not explain how to unzip the file. All of my zipped files automatically have the winzip option, can I use winzip instead?

Alucard103

Reaction score
Yea pc747 is right. I kinda didn't want to tell you but you almost hard bricked your phone using those files. You can use the link civic posted. My link was form a different forum that explains the same process with different words. So just read up and you will understand it eventually. Consider your self lucky, most people would have a bricked phone by now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I use winrar...but basically you want to unzip the folder so you can extract the files. Folders are zipped so to try to reduce the chances of th file being corrupted and to help with time it take to download and upload files.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yea pc747 is right. I kinda didn't want to tell you but you almost hard bricked your phone using those files. You can use the link civic posted. My link was form a different forum that explains the same process with different words. So just read up and you will understand it eventually. Consider your self lucky, most people would have a bricked phone by now.

The files I used said they were for the DX2, how was I supposed to know? Dude told me to google it and I did. I am glad I didn't brick it, and just want to get it to work the way it should work without all of the extra crap they try to give you with it.

OP
L
Reaction score
I use winrar...but basically you want to unzip the folder so you can extract the files. Folders are zipped so to try to reduce the chances of th file being corrupted and to help with time it take to download and upload files.

I understand the part about unzipping the files, but it appears to me that the 7zip program is to compress files and zip them, not unzip them. The help section doesn't state anything about unzipping a file.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah winrar will do the same and I prefer it. But yes lets make sure we are getting you the right files. Thats why I suggest people take their time. Sometimes in a rush some one post the wrong stuff, I have done it...I have posted d2 for d2 global people and had to fix it asap.

Alucard103

Reaction score
The files I used said they were for the DX2, how was I supposed to know? Dude told me to google it and I did. I am glad I didn't brick it, and just want to get it to work the way it should work without all of the extra crap they try to give you with it.

haha... the files were for the droid X to sbf to 2.2 froyo(droid X 2.2). It is a bit misleading to someone not used to reading version numbers next to phone models.
oh and if you have 7zip installed then you should be able to right-click the file select 7zip and extract.

03civicdx

Reaction score
Winrar works for some but not others for some reason. That's why I used 7zip like the thread op said just to be safe. I too prefer winrar myself. 7zip was uninstalled as soon as I was done.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
L
Reaction score
haha... the files were for the droid X to sbf to 2.2 froyo(droid X 2.2). It is a bit misleading to someone not used to reading version numbers next to phone models.
oh and if you have 7zip installed then you should be able to right-click the file select 7zip and extract.

I tried right clicking, than searched other programs and 7zip wasn't even listed. Maybe it is my computer (ASUS G71GX X64 Windows 7 Ultimate)