Attempting to root Droid and use cyanogen

kingrahat

Reaction score
Hello,

I tried to root using the superoneclick method described here: How To: Root Your Android Phone (SuperOneClick Method) | TheUnlockr

The first time I did it, it gave me the waiting for device message and then didnt do anything. I simply ran it again and it appeared to work. The superuser app showed up in my apps list.

I then downloaded the cyanogen mod from here: Motorola Droid - CyanogenMod Forum

I manually copied and pasted the file on to my sd card in the root directory.

I downloaded rom manager, and used the rom manager feature to back up. It rebooted, and appeared to use some sort of bootloading type screen to backup without problems.

I flashed clockworkmod twice in a row out of paranoia, then selected reboot into recovery mode. the phone simply rebooted without doing anything else.

Then I clicked install rom from sd card and the phone rebooted into the yellow triangle with exclamation point. I pushed the volume and power buttons until my phone simply booted up normally, but did not install cyanogen or do anything else.

What am I doing wrong and what should I do to get cyanogen on my phone?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you do not have a custom recovery. If you are rooted click rom managet and click flash clockwork recovery.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Hmmm, something seems strange here. Ultimately pc747 is correct. Use the option in Rom Manager to flash alternate recovery (near the bottom) and then flash CWRecovery again. If you get a flash success message within a few seconds, you should be golden.

What gets me is that you seem to have reported that you made a backup with rom manager and then flashed CWRecovery twice. That is an incorrect sequence of events as you MUST flash CWRecovery FIRST before rom manager will be able to make a backup.

In any event try the method above to get CWRecovery on your phone and then go from there. Also, make SURE you also flash the gapps portion of the rom as well, otherwise you'll be back here saying "Where's all my apps and the Market?"

good luck

OP
K

kingrahat

Reaction score
thank you both, you were right. once i flashed spr recovery and then clockwork again it worked.