ATT strikes the droid back

DroidFan

Reaction score
My boyfriend has an ATT Blackberry... I (of course) the Droid...

I can't tell you how many times we'll get on our respective phones to look something up and he can't access his web browser while I'm surfing away... we've experienced this in California and different parts of the East Coast... go figure.

mightybrick

Reaction score
Surfing on the web and making a voice call at the sametime is great, if you have enough coverage for it: there's a map for that. :)

taypotts

Reaction score
[video=youtube;939dTZ1nb2s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=939dTZ1nb2s[/video]

I like this one cause it's like the guy didn't have service and then all of the sudden got like one little 3G bar.. hahahaha!

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm not biased at all, the Droid is my first smart phone, so I don't have enough experience with smart phones to even be bias, but that voice he uses for the commercials and the poorly written material just seems detrimental to his career and to the validity of ATT if anything. We all know that ATT has very poor 3G coverage.

I had a relative from Washington come down for Christmas with her Iphone and I had a lot of fun playing on it and thought it was very polished, as it should, but try connecting to the internet via the 3G network and it was nearly impossible.

We had a lot of fun making fun of each other because of the rival phones, but even she said she was impressed with how well the droid/verizon network did when we were traveling around the state, even in backwoods "grandma" area. On the way home it was raining like hell and we needed GPS directions to get home and she couldn't get her GPS to work because of no network, but mine popped right up and guided us home in a hellish storm.

The proof is in the pudding I say.

Reaction score
Come on lighten up on luke. If att came and dropped a big piece of change on you to get on tv and drop a couple of phones you not gonna do it. I am not that loyal to any phone, if att said here is a check and its not made of rubber........Im dropping all kinds of phones :motdroidvert:, :droideris:,:blackberry:, razrs.....they are dropping faster then ______ hiltons _____ at an allstar game.

If my career was in the tank I would sell out too! :icon_ banana: Sorry, never been a fan of him, too easy to ream on people when you know they make more money than you and you don't really care for them!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
i guess having never had a smartphone before droid im not too experienced but how often does anyone really feel the need to use a data connection while on the phone? i dont see how this is really a big issue at all.

Not very often. It was nice when I lived in Charlotte (which has a large 3g coverage area) but didn't really miss it the last 3 yrs (Knoxville had virtually no 3g coverage and Nashville was spotty at best). So yeah, for 95% of people it's not really an issue.

And to the other poster about 'iPhone 3G is pretty fast' I think that has far more to do with Safari than the network or the phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i guess having never had a smartphone before droid im not too experienced but how often does anyone really feel the need to use a data connection while on the phone? i dont see how this is really a big issue at all.

Not very often. It was nice when I lived in Charlotte (which has a large 3g coverage area) but didn't really miss it the last 3 yrs (Knoxville had virtually no 3g coverage and Nashville was spotty at best). So yeah, for 95% of people it's not really an issue.

And to the other poster about 'iPhone 3G is pretty fast' I think that has far more to do with Safari than the network or the phone.

True to a point, but apps like espn radio and nfl superfan was crisp.....and kept up flawlessly. The iphone on att network has its flaws with speed and its ability to maintain 3g coverage but it is because of att not the phone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
True to a point, but apps like espn radio and nfl superfan was crisp.....and kept up flawlessly. The iphone on att network has its flaws with speed and its ability to maintain 3g coverage but it is because of att not the phone.

Yep, all comes down to 1) network availability and capability and 2) app utilization. The iPhone has its points but I think far more than the phone it's because companies have supported it and spent a LOT of time and resources to make their apps utilize the iPhones full potential. This has (or had) yet to be seen on any other device which is why it 'seems' so impressive. And for the rest of the people (a large 5) of iPhone users that don't have 3G coverage even the less than perfect(ed) apps of the droid SCREEM compared to most of the iPhones I've compared it to (seeing as the small 3G coverage area here is not really fast even when you have a full 3G signal). But then I know of many areas (Charlotte used to be one) were Verizon's coverage is far better. So that's definitely something people should consider when/if they really try to compare these phones.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love the Droid and would never be on AT&T or get an IPhone but if they paid me to do commercials I would in a second. Also I'm pretty sure Luke Wilson needs the money.

Hi let me look that up for you on my phone - please wait while I set you down for a few minutes and browse the internet.

or.

I'll call you back.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Yep, all comes down to 1) network availability and capability and 2) app utilization. The iPhone has its points but I think far more than the phone it's because companies have supported it and spent a LOT of time and resources to make their apps utilize the iPhones full potential. This has (or had) yet to be seen on any other device which is why it 'seems' so impressive. And for the rest of the people (a large 5) of iPhone users that don't have 3G coverage even the less than perfect(ed) apps of the droid SCREEM compared to most of the iPhones I've compared it to (seeing as the small 3G coverage area here is not really fast even when you have a full 3G signal). But then I know of many areas (Charlotte used to be one) were Verizon's coverage is far better. So that's definitely something people should consider when/if they really try to compare these phones.

Good point. Hopefully with the growth in the android market due to at&t picking up phones and the other android phones set to release in the spring, it will bring interest from developers. With that said what interest me about the droid is that its not just apps. I was done playing around with my iphone after 3 days. (really a day) all i could do was move apps around and that seemed cool then. I spent so much time on the itunes market because apps were the only thing that made the phone fun.
The droid is more then that, i had this thing since nov and I am still finding new things out about my phone. The apps are a plus and if the big named apps are added to flash and what the droid already offers, it will blow apple away even if iphone comes to verizon. You still going to have people buying the iphone for looks, but that is starting to decline. I am starting to see more and more droids every day.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good point. Hopefully with the growth in the android market due to at&t picking up phones and the other android phones set to release in the spring, it will bring interest from developers. With that said what interest me about the droid is that its not just apps. I was done playing around with my iphone after 3 days. (really a day) all i could do was move apps around and that seemed cool then. I spent so much time on the itunes market because apps were the only thing that made the phone fun.
The droid is more then that, i had this thing since nov and I am still finding new things out about my phone. The apps are a plus and if the big named apps are added to flash and what the droid already offers, it will blow apple away even if iphone comes to verizon. You still going to have people buying the iphone for looks, but that is starting to decline. I am starting to see more and more droids every day.

Yeah, agreed there. I've only had it for two weeks and I have a huge list of things I've seen and want to do but haven't got to yet. Waiting for the official 2.1 update before I do some of it. Have you seen this yet:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...lacement-app-seeter-home-public-beta-out.html
It's awesome.

Engadget's gear of CES 2010 -- Engadget

Read the bottom part nexus one att part. Check it out I laughed the entire time.

ROFL!!!!
WOW, that is great, give it up for AT&T :clap:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, agreed there. I've only had it for two weeks and I have a huge list of things I've seen and want to do but haven't got to yet. Waiting for the official 2.1 update before I do some of it. Have you seen this yet:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...lacement-app-seeter-home-public-beta-out.html
It's awesome.

Just looked at it, again i am amaze what you can do with this phone and its not even rooted, you have to jailbreak an iphone to do what we can do out of the box. I sent my dad my iphone and for him he wants simplicity... i want something that i wont master in a day.

Honestly having the two phones side by side (Nexus and Droid) the Droid looks like the upgraded version of the Nexus. If I did not know better I'd pick the Droid as the more expensive better model.

Engadget's gear of CES 2010 -- Engadget

Read the bottom part nexus one att part. Check it out I laughed the entire time.

You have to look that the nexus has just been released there are going to be problems just like the droid had. All the people who dropped the droid and went nexus because it was the coolest thing on the block and the droid had too many "problems" are going to face the same issues with the nexus. Its the rose colored glasses syndrom.

ATT performed as bad as the patriots last weekend

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You haven't seen nothing yet. Wait till you see their other commercial touching on that same subject ( talking and browsing)

He's on the phone and he sets it down to look something up on the net. The webpage shows up rather quickly ( this is important ) and he passes the info onto the person on the other end.

What phone is he using? A blackberry : )

Most of us know that blackberries render pages VERY quickly.

That commercial made me chuckle.

Yep, that's the one where he has a buddy on a game show and he's doing the phone a friend bit. I noticed it was a blackberry too and I thought, geeze, what BS. Do they think we don't notice?