ATT Note 3 on Verizon?

kir2010

Reaction score
Can you use the ATT Note 3 on Verizon? I was wondering because I thought about buying my buddy's old one due to all the issues I've had with my iPhone. Any information will be helpful thank you.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to tell you, no you can't. AT&T uses GSM & Verizon uses CDMA, so you can use an AT&T branded device on Verizons network. :(

tap'n

OP
kir2010

kir2010

Reaction score
Ok thats what I thought I just wanted to double check

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KaChow

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to tell you, no you can't. AT&T uses GSM & Verizon uses CDMA, so you can use an AT&T branded device on Verizons network. :(

tap'n

This is not entirely accurate. There certainly would not be any benefit of Sprint trying to purchase T-Mobile if they could not integrate their network in some capacity. Of course Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM, but if you look close enough in the internal settings of the device there are controls in Verizon devices that work with GSM, for instance look at the Service Mode, I spent some time analyzing the Band 4 LTE earlier with the Note 3 when it going mainstream, but the frequencies are similar in terms of GSM's band structure and frequencies. This is a good place to start...

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I was talking generally speaking. You can't simply take an AT&T branded Note 3 into Verizon and have them activate it for you on their network. That was what the OP was asking.
Thanks for the input though. :)

tap'n

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is not entirely accurate. There certainly would not be any benefit of Sprint trying to purchase T-Mobile if they could not integrate their network in some capacity. Of course Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM, but if you look close enough in the internal settings of the device there are controls in Verizon devices that work with GSM, for instance look at the Service Mode, I spent some time analyzing the Band 4 LTE earlier with the Note 3 when it going mainstream, but the frequencies are similar in terms of GSM's band structure and frequencies. This is a good place to start...

good write up on note 2 forums about that. first time I have read it and am impressed. Good work.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
plus phones now days that release on multiple carriers are built with all the radios the software settings is what dictate what network it works on. It would not be cost effective for samsung to have a factory that has different lines for the same device. They are going to keep it simple build it and use software. For me the nexus 5 was a big eye opener on this. I was concerned with warranty info so I asked google about buying the sprint version to use on att, I was told that they are all the same phone the settings are what make it work on the network. Also with GSM networks like att you are going to have to give them your imei in order for lte to work. I took my att sim out of my note 2 and put it in to my nexus 5 when I first bought it and even though my settings were right it would not go above hspa+. Went to the att corporate store and the loaded the phone imei on my account and after a reboot lte worked.

KaChow

Reaction score
Exactly, this is what I'm talking about and it is the same thing the settings are there in the phone. All that is needed is a SIM card.

View attachment 70978

Here it is these are all the GSM standard frequencies that are on my Verizon Note 3

View attachment 70979

and there is even LTE as well...

View attachment 70980

I think when it comes to changing carriers, the sales people at the carriers are more interested in selling you a new phone rather than you buying opening a new account and asking for SIM card. These devices are easily interchangeable between carriers and it doesn't matter what the device is, my previous Razr Maxx HD I had it running on T-Mobile of course it was hacked, but none-the-less a pretty much exclusive Verizon device running T-Mobile was different.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Of course if you ROOT the device you have this option available to you with many devices. But, if you're simply talking about taking a stock AT&T device into Verizon, it's not going work. Other carriers are more easily interchangeable without root.... Verizon, not so much.

tap'n

OP
kir2010

kir2010

Reaction score
I meant even with rooting. I know just stock from switching from on carrier to another you can't

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Going from Verizon to AT&T is more easily achievable, (although you'll be lucky to get a good 4G connection, if you get one at all) but AT&T to Verizon, is going to be difficult even with root & regardless of a sim change.

tap'n

OP
kir2010

kir2010

Reaction score
Think its worth the try? Last time I talked to him he was just going to give me the phone

KaChow

Reaction score
Going from Verizon to AT&T is more easily achievable, (although you'll be lucky to get a good 4G connection, if you get one at all) but AT&T to Verizon, is going to be difficult even with root & regardless of a sim change.

tap'n
I happen to agree with cr6 here. The codes that I used in the link that I provided in my earlier post were proprietary to Verizon settings on Samsung's Note 3, it's possible they could be transferable to other Samsung Verizon devices, but I do know that the codes did not work on other Note 3's with non-Verizon carriers.

Think its worth the try? Last time I talked to him he was just going to give me the phone

If you're getting the device for free then by all means go ahead and try it out. It will take some time and research as you will need to find out how to access the "Servicemode". But start with a search... GL!

BTW... You don't need to have Root to change the Radio. You need Root to change the System. For those of you without Root on Verizon with a Note 3 you can Enter *#0011# and enter Service Mode to find out if you are in Band 4 (1700 Frequency) LTE coverage or Band 13 (700 Frequency).

Last edited: