At wit's end... any ideas appreciated. (How to re-root phone despite broken pwr but?)

Autarkh

Reaction score
So I've managed back myself into a bit of a corner.

Until a few hours ago, I had a Droid 1 that, apart from a malfunctioning power button, had been working perfectly since being rooted over a year ago. I installed Simply Stunning 5.6 last Friday (after a complete reset) and had been manually reloading my apps, when I noticed that ls wasn't working properly in terminal emulator (even when I was root). Same thing with chmod.

I decided to run the fix permissions script from ChevyNo1's tools.

Unfortunately, it kept crashing, leading me to believe that the installation had somehow become corrupted. I reinstalled the ROM, but the phone got stuck in a persistent boot loop. I tried reinstalling SS again repeatedly to no avail.

Eventually, I was able to get it to boot by loading the stock ROM suggested in this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...oop-ive-tried-everything-i-can-think-fix.html

But this wiped out SPRecovery, and I've lost root privileges.

I'd simply re-root the phone, but since my power button is broken, I can't get access to bootloader debugging mode to reload SPRecovery with RSDLite. While I can get into the stock recovery by hitting "x" followed by "+vol" and "camera," it refuses to run root update.zip crack because it is, of course, unsigned. I also can't use ADB because I can't mount /system as rw.

I'm getting a new phone soon, but I need this one to hold out for another month or so.

Any ideas for a workaround? Or am I SOL?

Thanks!

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can reroot with SuperOneClick 1.6 or 1.7 I believe. Give it a google! The newer ones don't have the right exploit. From there you can install Rom Manager and flash recovery.

OP
A

Autarkh

Reaction score
Thanks!

That did the trick perfectly. I used SuperOneClick 2.1.1.

You saved me a ton of time and aggravation.

Last edited:

6bolt2g

Reaction score
If you plan on keeping the phone, eb@y had some ribbon cable assemblys for around $16. Just fixed my co-workers D1, it had the metal frame and all the external buttons including the keyboard on it. Granted its quite a bit of work, but it has all new buttons now.:icon_ lala:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That did the trick perfectly. I used SuperOneClick 2.1.1.

You saved me a ton of time and aggravation.

Glad you got going again! Just read up on your options regarding stock+root. Recovery will only work once on a reboot until you disable FRS.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.