At the FINAL point of hopelessness...

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Currently on CleanROM DE(whatever Scott's last update was). Running Nova launcher, fully themed and app swapped like a mofo(AOSP MMS, Settings, Email, etc).

pmgreen

Reaction score
I was reading on another site there is a tool that seems to automate most of the rooting/unlocking but I don't understand the difference. By chance would you know?
Appreciate your help again

wildride89

Reaction score
It's the auto unlocker in xda site. You still have to have your drivers right etc. Go on their site and try it out

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was reading on another site there is a tool that seems to automate most of the rooting/unlocking but I don't understand the difference. By chance would you know?
Appreciate your help again

This is actually what I posted a few posts up. Rooting gives you superuser(administrator/root) access to the phone. However most phones now have an e-lock that prevents tampering with system files required for rooting. HTC has a lock that can be unlocked via one of their online tools(HTCDev.com). Motorola however does not, their bootloader will only boot factory partitions(think of it like DRM). In either case the security measures need to be "defeated" in order to allow rooting. In the HTC world we call it unlocking. Unlocking precedes every possible "root"-like activity because unlocking allows those system files to be moved/overwritten/changed.

The "automatic" tool you're referring to is built on a series of interactions with the phone where you feed it things like your unlock key and it sends the required strings to the phone. It's really just a fancy script when it boils down.

pmgreen

Reaction score
Thanks going to try it this weekend.. hopefully don't come back with an expensive doorstop.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks going to try it this weekend.. hopefully don't come back with an expensive doorstop.

As long as you stick to HTC Unlock, it's IMPOSSIBLE to brick your Rezound. Ok, maybe not impossible, but really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hard

pmgreen

Reaction score
Mr Smith -- I'm stuck at this part ...
When your phone reboots, choose the “Recovery” option. This will bring you into Amon Ra. Use the volume up/down keys to choose the “Developer Menu”, and press the power button to accept
When the phone reboots I see recovery but not the Developer Menu.
if I reboot again I get a weird green circle then a phone with red danger sign. Any thoughts?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mr Smith -- I'm stuck at this part ... When the phone reboots I see recovery but not the Developer Menu.
if I reboot again I get a weird green circle then a phone with red danger sign. Any thoughts?

What did you do leading up to this?

pmgreen

Reaction score
I unlocked used the htc site/token.. downloaded and coped recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img to the same Android fold as the other folders.
CMD: c:\Android\Fastboot flash recovery recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img
After the reboots but I don't see the recovery option. If I restart I see the recovery menu, move down to select it, hit power.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you grab quickboot from the market you can reboot into recovery mode. Or power down then power up holding power and volume down. That will get you into HBOOT, then choose recovery in HBOOT.

pmgreen

Reaction score
Is there a specific quickboot? Tried two but both said the phone had to be rooted.
I tried using 3.15-gnm.img but ran into the same issue

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Crap I forgot about that. Then yeah you want to go with the other option(power off, power on holding power + volume down) to get into HBOOT, then choose recovery and press power. This will get you into AmonRa.

pmgreen

Reaction score
When I reboot into recovery I get this weird green swirl for a few seconds.. then a what looks like a phone with a red signal. Got the confirmation from HTCdev that the phone is unlocked. Should I try from the beginning including unlocking? The phone is working (like a sys restore).

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh ok, I think you may need to reflash recovery. Delete the file you downloaded for Amon Ra then download the img file again. Then flash recovery in HBOOT again. You should be able to go right from there into recovery just to make sure. So steps:

Re-download AmonRa img file
Reboot your phone into HBOOT
Plug into your PC
fastboot flash recovery amonra......img
Make sure the output says that the partition has been successfully written(post a screenshot if you're not sure)
Volume down to recovery press power.