At the end of my rope: HELP

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by NHKkyo, Jun 7, 2013.

1. NHKkyo

NHKkyo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    im going to try and make this a clear but as detaled as possible.

i recently purchased a motorola a855 droid 1 (trying to avoid paying $400+ for current gen phones) so i get it and i instantly see the difference between android versions.

so of course i do some research to see the most up to date OS that the droid 1 can handle (unfortunately its isn't 2.3 or higher to my knowledge) i see threads and posts

on how to update to 2.2 and i try it, it tells me to DL rom manger and all these other applications to install the update correctly but the problem occurs that all of these

apps are to advanced to work on my droid. at first i didn't know why this was then i looked at my own droids OS and see that its a 2.0. not alot said about 2.0 that i can

find. so i say to my self, "ill go one update at a time" and proceed to look for a 2.1 install and again the apps they want me to use are not working on my droid, i have it

successfully rooted and im running titanium backup but it crashes every time i try to back up anything. luckily the phone is new and nothings on it so what ever i have

to is cool. but im literally out of ideas in how i can update this thing to 2.2 so i can at least run better apps and have a smoother OS feel. so if anyone can help me

before i scrap this thing and try for a droid 2/3/x please do

yes i have tried to DL astro manager,i have rds lite,, my droid is rooted,apps barely run on it,my OS is 2.0,it cant find any updates through normal means,

HELP????

2. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Im sorry I dont have an answer for you, but I can give you personal experience. My first smart phone was a sub-standard phone. I didnt want to pay the money for it either. I hated it. Almost gave up on Android over it. I decided to get a new phone, and everything changed. Basically, you get what you pay for. If you're going to have an Android it might as well be a good one. You are going to use it everyday.

3. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    I had a similar experience to Mandy's. I upgraded a phone to my first Android phone and thought, oh what have I done? I decided it just wasn't my cup of tea so I returned it. Some time later I decided to give Android a second chance with a Galaxy S3 and I've never looked back. Getting the right phone makes all the difference.

I too don't have an answer for you, but welcome to the forum anyway!

4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    Honestly, I'd scrap it. The OG Droid is so far behind in today's mobile world it's like comparing a Ford Model T to the latest Ferrari. No matter how much tinkering you do, the OG Droid just doesn't have the power to run today's apps without a hiccup. You can continue to frustrate yourself and ruin your Android experience, but if you want a good experience you'll need to get more up to date hardware. Sites such as Swappa have great deals on used phones and fairly modern ones don't put a real hurtin on your wallet either.

In a matter of 4 short years, it's hard to imagine most of us started with that device and how far along Android has come since.