Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
It uses the ATT cellular network, essentially it's a phone minus the speaker and Mic. Or more accurately it's similar to the stand alone Wi-Fi hotspots that the carriers sell at the stores. It would require its own data plan, so you're paying for a data plan that you'll only use while in the car.

The fact that it plugs into your OBD2 port is mostly (we hope only), to have access to the 12V power source. In reality though it then has access to everything that the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) module has access to, including as mentioned things such as mileage, speed, rate of acceleration, rate of breaking, the engine diagnostics, and God knows what else. It may even have access to the GPS and could monitor and track your every move, sending it to who knows who.

Don the tinfoil hats before using.
Not necessarily a gimme that just because it plugs in there means it can access that info. But with seeing a simple pin out for the device we can EASILY tell if it can access any info. If it's only connected to DC power and ground no info can be pulled.

If it is hooked to more it would be nothing to wire in a different dummy plug just for the device.

Note 4tified

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Not necessarily a gimme that just because it plugs in there means it can access that info. But with seeing a simple pin out for the device we can EASILY tell if it can access any info. If it's only connected to DC power and ground no info can be pulled.

If it is hooked to more it would be nothing to wire in a different dummy plug just for the device.

Note 4tified

Yeah. I'm aware of that but there was no site showing a pin out. I did find some info from pocketnow, and the "official" statement from the manufacturer...

" Update: Worried about possible security issues with an OBD-connected device? After all, this is the port that those little plug-in vehicle trackers insurance companies offer use to gather data about your driving habits. We reached out to ZTE to double-check just how Mobley makes use of the OBD-II interface and the company’s initial response indicates that it’s just using the port for power and to tell when the ignition is on – no access to driving data at all.

Update 2: Here’s a formal statement from ZTE:

The ZTE Mobley has no telematics interface with the OBD port and it cannot access any other pins outside of the power supply. Utilizing the OBD port delivers a semi-permanent solution that provides a more embedded Connected Car experience.

Source: AT&T

"
ZTE Mobley car WiFi hotspot has a smart way to get power without clutter | Pocketnow

Of course, if this device has a GPS it can still provide some of the same data over the web to whomever may be listening. Location, speed, direction, time, rate of acceleration and breaking, sudden impact our crash (by way of obvious rapid deceleration and trajectory change), are all available through GPS triangulation. Even without GPS, cell tower triangulation can provide fairly accurate data as well.

Not only that, but it can provide evidence that you were using a tablet or other large screen based device at a specific time and if you're the only one in the car and this is evidence that coincides with time and location of a crash it could be damning. Of course this is also available from your phone but you can turn your phone off. You'd have to either remember to remove this device, or just only plug it in when you need it to get the same level of control.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I could see companies buying into this for their fleets.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't know what reason you wouldn't want to just go with a MyFi hotspot. It would be more portable.
Other than battery life I totally agree but a car cord would suffice to help that I would think.
Do Apple phones have the ability to be used as a hot spot? Maybe they're geared toward iPhone users if not?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Other than battery life I totally agree but a car cord would suffice to help that I would think.
Do Apple phones have the ability to be used as a hot spot? Maybe they're geared toward iPhone users if not?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Yes, the iPhones have the hotspot feature built in as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, the iPhones have the hotspot feature built in as well.
Well I guess it's back to the old saying my mom used to say then? "A fool and their money soon part ways".
I had one of the portable mifi things before. They worked great but had about the same battery life as a Thunderbolt phone in weak signal area.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Well I guess it's back to the old saying my mom used to say then? "A fool and their money soon part ways".
I had one of the portable mifi things before. They worked great but had about the same battery life as a Thunderbolt phone in weak signal area.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

I had one as well back when it was cheaper to actually own one. Now that my plan includes unlimited on the phone and 7GB of free tethering I can't see the use for one.

I know at least three people that still have one and use it instead of using their phones. I guess there is a market for these somewhere.

thesolution

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung
I purchased the ZTE Mobley earlier this year prior to a travel vacation.
It has good range and speed. The only issue was that I wanted to plug it into the trailer
AC instead of having to go to the car every couple of hours to reset the Wi-Fi.
I found an AC adapter on eBay for $30. The adapter works great and the ZTE no longer
drains the car battery and go into protection mode.