AT&T Vehicle WiFi Hotspot

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
mobley_car_wifi_ZTE.jpg

For those who may not have the latest vehicle with a wifi hotspot included, AT&T do not want to leave you out as they (through ZTE) will offer an OBD II port device that will provide an in-vehicle hotspot. As if AT&T was not making enough off of data and tethering services, what better way to squeeze more money out of customers....(correction) provide for customer convenience than to make sure customers can access their network in car. If you are interested in signing up check out the AT&T site where you can expect to pay $100 for the device (full price), $10 device fee, $20 for 1 GB of data, and $30 for 3 GB of data.

Sources: AT&T’S FIRST VEHICLE WI-FI HOTSPOT, THE ZTE MOBLEY, AVAILABLE SEPT. 11 via The AT&T / ZTE Mobley Is An LTE Hotspot For Your Car, Works Via OBD-II Port

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Um...so it plugs into your pcm data port..obd2..so roughly anything 94 on..I wouldn't allow OnStar in my vehicle..sure as heck not this..I'll go make my tinfoil hat now..

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Um...so it plugs into your pcm data port..obd2..so roughly anything 94 on..I wouldn't allow OnStar in my vehicle..sure as heck not this..I'll go make my tinfoil hat now..

Agree, there is no way I am plugging anything like that in my OBD port. What's to keep someone from taking my data (ie speeds) and sending that information somewhere?

Can you imagine getting a ticket in the mail for speeding and like, wait I was not pulled over or even seen a hint of a trooper. Yet you have an envelope full of speeding tickets and a bill from At&t for wifi usage. I am not saying it will happen but I do not want to hear that it can, especially since you know it has access to internet.

HoydickPAL.jpg

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There's that and the possibility of hacking ..tracking, new mail to your home or email...we see you have 200k on your 2014, would you like a loan for a new car?

Come to Larry's brakes..we'll get your body module abs code taken care of

In need of an oil change..here's a 3$ off if you come to slickys....

Heellllllll nooooo!!!

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some cars already have black boxes installed. And the insurance companies want you to install even more garbage to "supposedly" lower your rates. I call it nanny state.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Some cars already have black boxes installed. And the insurance companies want you to install even more garbage to "supposedly" lower your rates. I call it nanny state.

Progressive Auto Insurance - An Introduction

^tried that once and will never do it again. What they consider hard braking is not realistic. You brake the way they want you to brake then be prepared to get a bunch of horns and angry looks.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Now that most plans have tethering, I don't understand the point of adding ANOTHER device to your plan....just increase your data and tether.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Now that most plans have tethering, I don't understand the point of adding ANOTHER device to your plan....just increase your data and tether.

Be interesting to see how many people they are able to hook with this. And if AT&T is successful then you know Verizon will not be far behind with their own version, especially with 5G around the corner. The more they can nickel and dime people the better their share prices look.

jplemt

Reaction score
Verizon has had a couple of different models that do this for a while now. Made by Delphi. We looked into them at work for diagnostic notifications on the fleet, in vehicle Wi-Fi, and avl type features. Never went any further.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
It never ceases to amaze me how dependent people are becoming to being hooked to the internet.... really it wasn't all that long ago that when you wanted to talk to someone you paged them, waited for them to get home or to a pay phone and call you back.

Now we are so dependant we have to have Internet in our cars....

My big question is why not use the data connection already on your phone? Why pay more money for an in car connection.... Or am I missing how/where it pulls a signal from?

Note 4tified

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how dependent people are becoming to being hooked to the internet.... really it wasn't all that long ago that when you wanted to talk to someone you paged them, waited for them to get home or to a pay phone and call you back.

My big question is why not use the data connection already on your phone? Why pay more money for an in car connection.... Or am I missing how/where it pulls a signal from?

Note 4tified

Because we are in a capitalistic society with an elitist mindset. Think about it.

When Satellite TV (Directv) first came out almost 15+ years ago it was crazy expensive yet people would finance it through Sears just to say they have what their friends don't have. It is literally like that with everything whether it be Directv, Sirius Radio, Flat screens, etc. People pay a premium to have it first even if it is full of bugs or issues. Wait a few years later and those same companies are literally giving their stuff away at a discount. Even with smart phones, we are seeing low cost companies like Blu(Blu Announces The New Pure XL: 6" QHD Display, 3GB RAM, 64GB Storage, NFC, 2GHz Octa-Core Processor, Fingerprint Reader, And More For $350) make phones with specs that would be considered premium nearly a year and a half ago.

Don't get me wrong I am not going to tell anyone what to do with their money. If you want to be first in line to get the next gadget and you have the money then get it. I was one of the first in line for LTE with the HTC Thunderbolt (bugs and all). Compared to what I paid for the T-Bolt Blu offers devices at half the price and better specs. If companies can capitalize on people wanting to pay more for status then so be it. I hope I can come up with an invention that people are willing to shell out money for.

Last edited by a moderator:

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a sucker born every day. In my case, I'll just turn on wifi hotspot with my unlimited data and no throttling thanks to Verizon!

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
There is a sucker born every day. In my case, I'll just turn on wifi hotspot with my unlimited data and no throttling thanks to Verizon!
Exactly.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Note 4tified
It uses the ATT cellular network, essentially it's a phone minus the speaker and Mic. Or more accurately it's similar to the stand alone Wi-Fi hotspots that the carriers sell at the stores. It would require its own data plan, so you're paying for a data plan that you'll only use while in the car.

The fact that it plugs into your OBD2 port is mostly (we hope only), to have access to the 12V power source. In reality though it then has access to everything that the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) module has access to, including as mentioned things such as mileage, speed, rate of acceleration, rate of breaking, the engine diagnostics, and God knows what else. It may even have access to the GPS and could monitor and track your every move, sending it to who knows who.

Don the tinfoil hats before using.

Last edited: