AT&T Trying to buy T-Mobile!

wattnxt

Reaction score
Just found out that the number 2 service provider in the US is trying to buy out T-Mobile.

AT&T claims that buying T-Mobile will fix their service shortages in areas and increase competition. Give me strength...

If the big A was so competitive and innovative, why were they the first to charge for and lock down data for tethering...data purchased but (you can't use it for THAT). Pay more for less bandwidth, and able to lose the iPhone because their network made few to no upgrades since they purchased the majority of their existing infrastucture from Cingular.

AT&T has never innovated anything. They have bought other innovative companies and their innovations and customers. Soon after, quashing the innovation, and raising fees and increasing restrictions.

This move would put the big A as the nations largest carrier, and make Sprint third by neearly two to one. Not good. Considering this: T-mobile and Sprint are the last companies that will have unlimited data plans after the June VZW tiered plans are introduced.

Is this the trend we want to support? Does anyone here believe that if ATT becomes the biggest that their lockdowns and lack of innovation will suddenly turn 180 degrees? ATT is telling the FCC exactly that, and in their own statement, called consumer and Sprint objections to the purchase underwhelming and unconvincing. Now THERE is the ATT we all know, '**** (self edit) the customer, we're AT&T'.

Regardless of how you feel, post up on AT&T facebook page, and or Sprint's Facebook/Twitter pages. They and the FCC deserve to hear our thoughts on the matter. After all, if the big A is telling the FCC that this is for the customer, don't you think they should actually ask them? Oh yeah, this is AT&T we're talking about...they don't care what the customer thinks.

Thanks.
I will post the info link in a separate post below.

Sent from my Droid1, Stable 1.2Ghz, Peter Alfonso v2 LV kernel, CM7.0.3, Zepplinrox Supercharged, Gingerbread 2.3.3 phone using DroidForums.

BlueSami

Reaction score
Just found out that the number 2 service provider in the US is trying to buy out T-Mobile.

AT&T claims that buying T-Mobile will fix their service shortages in areas and increase competition. Give me strength...

If the big A was so competitive and innovative, why were they the first to charge for and lock down data for tethering...data purchased but (you can't use it for THAT). Pay more for less bandwidth, and able to lose the iPhone because their network made few to no upgrades since they purchased the majority of their existing infrastucture from Cingular.

AT&T has never innovated anything. They have bought other innovative companies and their innovations and customers. Soon after, quashing the innovation, and raising fees and increasing restrictions.

This move would put the big A as the nations largest carrier, and make Sprint third by neearly two to one. Not good. Considering this: T-mobile and Sprint are the last companies that will have unlimited data plans after the June VZW tiered plans are introduced.

Is this the trend we want to support? Does anyone here believe that if ATT becomes the biggest that their lockdowns and lack of innovation will suddenly turn 180 degrees? ATT is telling the FCC exactly that, and in their own statement, called consumer and Sprint objections to the purchase underwhelming and unconvincing. Now THERE is the ATT we all know, '**** (self edit) the customer, we're AT&T'.

Regardless of how you feel, post up on AT&T facebook page, and or Sprint's Facebook/Twitter pages. They and the FCC deserve to hear our thoughts on the matter. After all, if the big A is telling the FCC that this is for the customer, don't you think they should actually ask them? Oh yeah, this is AT&T we're talking about...they don't care what the customer thinks.

Thanks.
I will post the info link in a separate post below.

Sent from my Droid1, Stable 1.2Ghz, Peter Alfonso v2 LV kernel, CM7.0.3, Zepplinrox Supercharged, Gingerbread 2.3.3 phone using DroidForums.

lol Welcome to 3 weeks ago! glad you could join us!

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
this is defiantly old news this has been going on for over a year but the FCC just approved the purchase within the last 6 weeks or so so i assume the actual purchase and changeover will take place in the next 6 months or so.

Dwyndal

Reaction score
Yes it's old news but honestly i'm happy for AT&T it's a wise choice and move why spend building and borrowing towers from others when you can just purchase someone who is not doing that great in the US market, this puts Tmobile to focus back home in Europe, they will need new set ups too with all the new 4g movement not just here.

I feel bad for sprint, but they will make due, they have done well just suck in my area. Guess their digital lines highway was not a bright idea, why go under when you should have gone up and out haha

As for capped data and tethering, it's already coming from Verizon as i heard they are now sending out messages of cease and or pay with some getting their plans changed. Though, IIRC the message have been more from iphone users versus android. I believe some android apps has been able to hide the tethering use but still when you use a lot of data they have to know something is up

so who knows what this venture will bring all of us, i'm just waiting for nationwide wimax so i can just use wifi and get off the network...don't' pinch me, i don't want to wake up yet ma' just 5 more minutes.

xan

Reaction score
how much longer til we have ma bell owning everything again?

Yay "free market" capitalism!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
wo, am i time traveling?

lol but really this is pretty old news, about 4-5weeks ago if not more

stonecaster

Reaction score
I think its a great idea!!! Look at how well the merger worked out for Sprint / Nextel!????
LMAO

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
since they purchased the majority of their existing infrastucture from Cingular.
at&t didn't purchase from Cingular. at&t is just a rebranded SBC. Cingular was a joint venture of SBC and Bellsouth. SBC/at&t fully owned Cingular (and rebranded Cingular under at&t as well) once it acquired BellSouth.

Never. at&t isn't Ma Bell. at&t is a rebranded SBC. SBC acquired AT&T (Ma Bell).

OP
wattnxt

wattnxt

Reaction score
since they purchased the majority of their existing infrastucture from Cingular.
at&t didn't purchase from Cingular. at&t is just a rebranded SBC. Cingular was a joint venture of SBC and Bellsouth. SBC/at&t fully owned Cingular (and rebranded Cingular under at&t as well) once it acquired BellSouth.

Never. at&t isn't Ma Bell. at&t is a rebranded SBC. SBC acquired AT&T (Ma Bell).

I rest my case... they took a joint venture, SBC/BellSouth...(aka, not all ATTs investment-Bellsouth put capital in), bought out the partner (aquired BellSouth, it wasn't free...they bought BellSouth), and rebranded Cingular as ATT.

Yes, they owned an interest in Cingular, but it was not completely ATTs. If ATT had owned the whole venture from day one, that would be a different story; they didn't. Cingular was still a purchased asset clumped into ATT. BellSouth put far more into that venture than SBC. SBC being a joint venture with Yahoo also.

If you really want to go back, BellSouth was a breakout from Lucent, which was a company spawned from the original breakup of ATT. So in a way, you're right, it always was part ATT. But before it was broken up, it was the largest Monopoly in US history so there really wasn't much Ma Bell didn't own at least a part of somehow. 3 steps to Ma Bell??

Bottom line is, ATT isn't innovating anything. And there have been very few improvements since ATT took the wheel of all these companies. Imagine the netwok ATT would have if they spent that 39 billion on network upgrades instead...

Not that ATT will listen, why should they. It's worked in their favor so far. My point was more to the fact that the big A is trying to sell this purchase to the FCC as a fix to their customer complaints of network brownouts, and unfixed dead spots. It's more sad that the FCC is so blind they can't see that. ATTs purchase/innovation/service improvement history speaks for itself. Every purchase...nothing changed but profit margins.

This will be the beginning of a long haul of high priced, low innovation wireless industry. A and V aren't pushing the unlimited everything envelope, that's only Sprint and T-mo. Yes others too, but not big enough to get A and Vs attention.

I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look promising if the final sale is approved.

Good luck to us all.