AT&T says VZW's first LTE device will be a "fat brick"

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I found this pretty amusing.

It's pretty clear these 2 really dislike one another : )

Verizon and AT&T are getting all hot and bothered over the forthcoming LTE battle -- a battle which much like the current map wars, you can expect to grow weary of in about two minutes. According to a report in the Wall Street Journal today, both carriers have put reps in the limelight for a volley of tough talk.

For starters, AT&T's CTO John Donovan claimed that Verizon was jumping the gun with its first-on-the-scene LTE rollout, suggesting initial devices are "going to drain the battery like crazy, and [they're] going to be a fat brick," noting that "2012 will be the time when you'll have decent handsets." Donovan lumped on the hits by also saying that "Anyone who says their network is ready for the iPhone -- or the broader mobile data explosion that AT&T has experienced -- is being naive." Of course, Big Red didn't just sit there and take it -- spokesman Jim Gerace fired back that "No matter how much our competitors talk, it's not going to slow us down," though he offered no further comment on the insults' stride-breaking potential.

Both parties were mum on just how fleeced the consumer would be getting once the LTE pricing plans are announced, of course.

source: Wall Street Journal
Article: Endgadget

joker402

Reaction score
i think they are refering to the droid since alot of people say its as heavy as a brick but they forget that the droid is just a hair thicker than the iphone but was the worlds slimmest touch screen with keybroard.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
So am I right in assuming the price for data usage will probably be going way up when LTE is implimented?

it will be the end of unlimited data plans ... (except for a high high premium)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
at one time verizon was at&t. Verizon was formed from the Bell companies that was owned in part by at&t...a government allowed monopoly.
I think it is just good rivalry nothing any diff from pepsi/coke, mcds/bk, or directv/dish.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
at one time verizon was at&t. Verizon was formed from the Bell companies that was owned in part by at&t...a government allowed monopoly.
I think it is just good rivalry nothing any diff from pepsi/coke, mcds/bk, or directv/dish.

all is in good fun, until the patent lawsuits start flying (see: Apple)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

all is in good fun, until the patent lawsuits start flying (see: Apple)

yeah but that is between apple and htc. Att has both htc and an apple devices.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm prepared to love a "fat brick" if it performs!!

AT&T is not doing itself any favors lately. I was a died-in-the-wool AT&T user for well over 10 years. Their misleading Luke Wilson ads made me want to puke!! Perhaps the most dishonest ad campaign I've ever seen (discounting ALL political candidate ads). I mean, did they sit around a table and say, "Hey I've got an idea. Let's go after the stupid people!!"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm prepared to love a "fat brick" if it performs!!

AT&T is not doing itself any favors lately. I was a died-in-the-wool AT&T user for well over 10 years. Their misleading Luke Wilson ads made me want to puke!! Perhaps the most dishonest ad campaign I've ever seen (discounting ALL political candidate ads). I mean, did they sit around a table and say, "Hey I've got an idea. Let's go after the stupid people!!"

That was why Luke wilson was the perfect candidate. How many smart people actually pay to watch his movies.

joker402

Reaction score
^^^^he has movies? last movie i seen him in was blue streak and last show was on that 70's show as kelso's brother