AT&T Rollover Plan

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 7, 2015.

1. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,160

Ever since T-Mobile announced their new rollover data plan I knew it was a matter of time before AT&T followed. AT&T can not afford to get to far behind T-Mobile as it is easier for their customers to switch. Customers who are enrolled in the Mobile Share plan will be automatically enrolled.

Is there any chance we will see Verizon do the same thing?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    NO

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Man. I know it's highly improbable, but I'd sure love it if Big Red followed suit on this one. I've stayed well within my allotted data since I gave up unlimited, but it'd be great to have to worry even less after a few months of being under the cap.

• Like Like x 1
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,160
    I could see vzw doing something more watered down. They did do their own version of the jump plan. I could see their version being modeled similar to at&t's except they will probably make it for their higher tiered plans and maybe only a percent of it rolls over.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I'd even settled for a percentage of it.

Thinking about doing some wheelin' and dealin' with my plan anyway. The future Mrs. Kansas gets a discount through her employer, but her mom's gift to her and her sister has been to have them on her bill for years now.

But, I see that you get 10GB of shared data for like $110 a month, which isn't any worse than what I'm already paying for my 2GB +1GB promotional that will eventually end. I'm pretty sure their plan only gives her about 2 as well, so we'd both have more data to play with than we tend to use at present anyway.

So we might just be doing a real family plan and this won't matter as much to me, but if we decide it's not the best idea, I want some rollover even if I never use it up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. akhenax

akhenax Silver Member

Ratings:
    +503
    Err.....
    No.

It would be even better, if they brought Unlimited back.

My idea would be:
    6 Gigs of LTE and then throttle down to 3G speeds after, with no caps.

• Like Like x 2
  7. pc747

pc747 Administrator

Ratings:
    +6,160
    With vzw launching VoLTE, not happening. Days of unlimited data are long gone. For one people are already up in arms over vzw throttling unlimited data now so I do not see them revisiting that idea. The best you can hope for is a double data deal promotion with rollover data, which is what I have with ATT right now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Verizon never throttled my Unlimited data plan.

• Like Like x 1
  9. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Bandwidth costs money. Customers who are replacing their internet connections for their phones are the primary offenders. There is a point, even with the price paid per month being as high as it is, that the company loses money. Even if it does nothing to their bottom line, they are going to do what they can to keep everything green.

Sadly, consumers are the ones who are hurt the most.

Then again, no person should be using 100GB or more a month on their mobile device. But that is talk for another time.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    I have unlimited data and never went over 8 GB a month, but it's nice to know I have it when I need it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,714
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Not to reopen this can of worms, but unlimited isn't "gone" yet. We've all known for over well over a year that if you want to keep your unlimited, you'll have to pay retail. The way I see it is: taking a few months to save up the $6-7 hundred dollars, isn't any different than saving for a week or two to come up with $150-200 by purchasing "on contract".
    The fact is, we DO have a choice is all I'm saying. The majority of us don't "need" a new device the day it's released, and I think we've become spoiled by "on contract" pricing, which gives us a brand new device for $200 dollars or less. (often times MUCH less, if you wait a month or two....which most people do anyways) Hey, I'm all about getting the best possible deal and saving money when I can and I don't like parting with my hard earned money any more than the next guy, but IMO, if you can afford 200 down and a monthly bill for a voice/text/data plan, you can afford to save up to pay full price.
    We talk bad about Verizon like they don't give us a choice in the matter. They've simply changed the rules. You either change with them, or go without.
    So until they don't give us that option anymore, I'll save up for however long it takes to pay full retail and keep my unlimited for as long as I can.
    The fact is, unlimited means unlimited. It doesn't mean unlimited "up to" ___GB.
    If they want to throttle high data users, well that's another story, and personally I'm fine with it. Bandwidth is bandwidth, whether I use 100GB or Joe Schmo uses 10. The fact that they are making millions by charging people separately for texting plans that don't cost them a dime, well it is what it is. They aren't losing money on the few unlimited data users that are left, regardless of how much data they use.

S5 tap'n

• Like Like x 3
  12. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Without being too much of a tard: Unlimited means unlimited...data. You can have all the MBs and GBs you want. There is nothing about having unlimited speed. If this were the case, then I would have complained many moons ago.

So as consumers, what do we really want? Unlimited data? Unlimited speed?

Unlimited data is doable. Unlimited speed on a wireless network is silly, unrealistic and not going to happen. They may spend billions on spectrum and hundreds of millions on equipment, but wireless still has it's physical limitations.

And they aren't making millions, they are making billions. But after a certain point, it's all the same.

• Like Like x 3