AT&T Refuses to Share How it Calculates Capped Bandwidth Usage

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

This news isn't directly Verizon related at all, but we thought it worth reporting just as industry intel. AT&T may be inaccurately measuring data cap usage. What makes it even worse is they refuse to share how they arrive with their calculations. An AT&T customer began to suspect that he was being capped unfairly regarding his data usage. Here's a quote with the details,

What is really perplexing about this issue is that it is not really new. In fact, the source of this article contacted AT&T about this same issue last year. Here's a quote with the gist of what happened then,

So much for AT&T's promise to become more transparent for their customers. Do any of you have similar experiences with them?

Source: DSLReports
  2. stillwaiting

stillwaiting New Member

30246599.jpg seems to fit
    2 people like this.
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'm glad I stuck with Charter for my internet and didn't go to UVerse when I got their TV service. I've had nothing but good luck with Charter and no plans on changing.

Also, is droidforums.net mostly a Verizon Android site? I mean, back in they day, Verizon had, for the most part, all the Android phones. But AT&T is now a major player as is most of the smaller service providers.
  4. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

Overall, in the past we concentrated mostly on Verizon because Big Red was (and still is) the only carrier to get actual "Droid" branded devices. However, as you pointed out the industry has changed since we started, so we are now slowly widening our focus to be more all-inclusive of all things Android. Of course, our first love here at DroidForums.net is still the OG Droid, but that doesn't mean we can't get excited about all the other new tech that Android brings us. ;)
    2 people like this.
  5. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

glad I'm on comcast... I'm really tired of this kind of garbage with these companies though.

Occupy AT&T?
  6. kocuba

kocuba New Member

For the past 18 months or so when I go to check my usage I get this:

7. jayman350

jayman350 New Member

i don't think i have ever heard of anyone write/say/think that.... i hate comcast for so many of their business practices (kind of like how i almost never get a bill for the same amount twice), but i have not heard anything about their caps (i'm pretty sure i have a 250GB threshold, but i don't know what happens if i go over)
  8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Couldn't AT&T be dinging you for "idle" capacity? In other words, you don't get data transfers at constant rates. If your throughput drops from 10mbps to 6mbps, for a few seconds, can something else really slip in there or, in fact, iss what you're using or sold really a constant 10mbps from AT&T's perspective?

In other words, your modem measuring 70-80% of what AT&T does is really indicative of how efficiently you're using your bandwidth. So you reserved a peak of 10mbps when you began the download, but you actually only averaged 7-8mbps. But from AT&T's perspective you demanded 10mbps and what is "reserved" is what is used - you don't get a credit for unused bandwidth due to inefficiency of your download.

Just a thought. I'm sure that's mostly all wrong.
  9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

On a related note, are people really surprised that you ditch your cable service and go data crazy with youtube and netflix and the cable companies don't just ignore what's happening to their bottom line?
  10. xeene

xeene Well-Known Member

it's 300gb, they've raised the cap a few months ago. they don't do anything if you go over the cap as i've done it several times over the past few years.
  11. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

Devices measure it in bytes sent/received, it doesn't "guess" your usage by assuming you are downloading at a certain speed.

My guess is that AT&T just rounds up. Say you download 2.59GB one day, they may round that up to 3GB at the end of the day.
  12. jseah

jseah New Member

Actually since data uploads and downloads comes in bursts/packets, I would think that the rounding up happens at much smaller increments (i.e. you click on a hyperlink in a web page, it downloads the new web page and the size of that new web page downloaded is rounded up and counts as one "session"). If they are rounding up to the nearest MB, you could get screwed if you are just downloading 15 kb and they "charge" you 1 MB.