AT&T really dropped rhe Android ball

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Kinda saw thus coming when it was announced they dumped Google for Yahoo. Not only did they do this but they loaded the Moto Backflip with ten proprietary unremovable apps and they locked the ability to add non market apps. Personally I think this is a black eye for Android in general. Not gonna give a very good impression to first time Android buyers.

M

Matth3w

I think people that have AT&T don't have very good impressions of cell phone service in general when they buy from that horrid company...so...I don't think this will really hurt the Android.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kinda saw thus coming when it was announced they dumped Google for Yahoo. Not only did they do this but they loaded the Moto Backflip with ten proprietary unremovable apps and they locked the ability to add non market apps. Personally I think this is a black eye for Android in general. Not gonna give a very good impression to first time Android buyers.

Moto Backflip, Android.....Am I just confused or what? The only Android phone I know of that Motorola has produced is the Droid. And that's on Verizon not AT&T.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
here is an article on it.

Motorola Backflip on AT&T: Not the Full Android Experience

Related Quotes Symbol Price Change ^DJUSS 466.75 +1.45 ^IXIC 2,340.76 +8.55 ^IXK 1,166.74 +7.22
b

JR Raphael, PC World Jr Raphael, Pc World – Mon Mar 8, 6:19 pm ET
AT&T may have opened its arms to Android with the release of Motorola's Backflip, but it isn't exactly embracing the platform's open nature.
The Motorola Backflip, officially available on AT&T as of Sunday, marks AT&T's first foray into Android territory. Featuring a unique back-flipping QWERTY keypad and back-of-display touchpad, the Backflip has a form factor unlike most Android phones. But it also has some software differences that set it apart -- and not in a good way.
Motorola Backflip: Android, Minus the Openness
Much of Android's appeal stems from its open and highly customizable nature: Compared to Apple's notoriously closed approach, Google's operating system allows you to install any applications you want without needing your manufacturer's blessing. This is a core principle of what makes Android what it is; in many ways, it's the anti-iPhone.
The Motorola Backflip, however, seems to take a step back from this concept. The option to install unofficial applications -- that is, apps found outside of the official Android Market -- is mysteriously missing from the device; the "Unknown sources" setting is simply not present on the "Applications" menu, where it'd normally be found. After seeing this mentioned at an Android developer forum this afternoon, I was able to confirm it directly with a Backflip demo unit. The Backflip's "Applications" menu has only four lines instead of the typical five.
(There is a backdoor way you can install unofficial apps without the standard menu-driven option, but it's a relatively complex process involving the Android software development kit. Most casual users aren't going to be aware of it and likely wouldn't want to mess with it.)
In addition to the external app restrictions, AT&T has preloaded the Backflip with a dozen of its own apps that can't be removed without using that same backdoor hack.
AT&T's Backflip Restrictions
Why the Backflip restricts the full Android experience isn't completely clear. AT&T representatives were unable to elaborate on the situation, and Motorola's reps weren't immediately able to provide an answer. Google's Android team told me that since the Backflip isn't actually a Google-branded product, they wouldn't be able to provide any insight into the software modification decisions.
Thankfully, Motorola's official support forums offer a couple of clues. Someone posted a message Monday morning asking about the missing non-Market app setting in the Backflip device. A user whose account was labeled as a "MOTO XPRT" responded with the following message:
"This is a known issue, and I will report back when I find something out."
Several hours later, he followed up with this:
"Looks like AT&T turned it off. Don't know what to say about that..."
And shortly thereafter:
"Not going into pointing fingers here, but all other current Moto Android phones (Droid - VZW, Cliq - Tmo, Devour - VZW) have this feature installed."
One logical theory is that the move could be designed to limit the use of apps that allow tethering, something AT&T has long frowned upon with Apple's mobile technology. While limited tethering options do exist within the official Android Market, AT&T could conceivably place restrictions on those downloads. The numerous tethering options available outside of the Android Market, however, would be completely out of AT&T's control.
Control is something we typically discuss when looking at Apple's mobile products. It's a damn shame to see Android being tainted with that same restrictive mindset.
JR Raphael is a PCWorld contributing editor and, according to a quiz he recently took, a partial Android fanboy. He's on Facebook; come say hello.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't know all those other phones were moto. I must live in a cave.:unsure:

bronx finest

Reaction score
I'm sure Apple's stronghold had a lot to do with this.

As well as other carriers desperation for other smartphones, while the iPhone tears up the market.

I've heard that the AT&T Android (1-2) devices are being "unGooglefied" for lack of a better word. Go figure.

kristoff125

Reaction score
I'm sure Apple's stronghold had a lot to do with this.

As well as other carriers desperation for other smartphones, while the iPhone tears up the market.

I've heard that the AT&T Android (1-2) devices are being "unGooglefied" for lack of a better word. Go figure.

The flagship AT&T phone is the iPhone, and since Apple has been at war with Google, lately, it figures the carrier holding the iPhone will fight any competition, but try to appear a viable company for carrying multiple platforms.

ntrddragn

Reaction score
its no surprise to me. Isnt there a few anti vzw/droid commecial from att? And a few iphone commercial that dissed the droid and vzw also? If they carry a full blown version of the droid, then what are they going to do with those commercials? They cant make fun of it anymore, right?

diverbelow

Reaction score
I am really glad that I did not stay with AT&T. What sucks is that anyone not familiar with an android phone and this is their first android phone, will think to themselves, what is the hype with these phones. My Backflip is horrible, and the apps are not that interesting.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And Google's market share will take a big hit cause of AT&T limitations...

Grabraham

Reaction score
I dunno I think that in general people (non-phone geek people) think of the Driod as a representation of what Andriod is/can be. And hopefully it will be seen as ATT limitation not a Motorola/Andriod issue. If I were to take carrier imposed limitations as representing phone manufacturers I would not have bought the Driod. - My Moto Q had a perfectly functioning GPS chip in it that Verizon crippled unless I wanted to pay $$/month for their Navigator service.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
AT&T crippling of devices is nothing new. They've been doing it for years and it's very common for people 'in the know' to buy the AT&Ts unlocked counterpart (normally from overseas) and use it. This is VERY common with Nokia devices as they are effectively crippled because of AT&T's BS practices. I used HTCs and the only reason I stayed for so long was the ability to flash custom ROMs because the stock ROMs were filled with bloatware and limitations.

On another note we should not take for granted the abilities and freedoms Motorola and VZW have given us with the Droid.

As stated in another thread the world version of our phone, the Milestone has a locked boot-loader that can NOT be unlocked/opened. Even he Nexus is not 'open' because in order to unlock the boot-loader you have to forfeit you warranty as you ESN info is recorded during the unlocking process. Also the Eris has yet to be unlocked as well.:icon_ devil:

cisco0910

Reaction score
They claim there doing it because of wifi tethering. Wifi tethering would really but at&t's network in a log jam. All backflip owners gotta do is wait for someone to root it then there golden

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe AT&T won't offer a 'full capability' Android device as long as they're in ties with Apple and that other device?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe AT&T won't offer a 'full capability' Android device as long as they're in ties with Apple and that other device?

I've felt this has made common sense for some time. Just like I was certain that Verizon would not be selling the iPhone. They've made their bed with Apple, and they are going to sleep in it.