AT&T Pushes Out a Bloatware Infested Update to Samsung Galaxy S5 That is NOT Lollipop

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To me that definition would include the dialer and messaging apps along with the gallery and others that are core components. Granted I do not use my stock versions of them but my mind sees those not being there or removable as a hindrance to sales and user satisfaction because of the inevitable dummies deleting their core apps by accident or intentionally trying to free up RAM without aftermarket replacements already onboard.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I think you're taking that a step too far. Either that, or I land somewhere in between the two definitions. I see bloat as New2u does. All the extra junk from the carrier (if not the manufacturer as well).

Obviously, the dialer is necessary for the device to function as a phone and the gallery is necessary to view the pictures when the device is used as a camera. For that matter, the camera app is also necessary to use the hardware.

I guess maybe I lean more towards your view if you paint it with such a broad brush. The things like VZW Navigator and etc that cost money to actually use are most definitely bloat, but other things like Cloud Storage (I get so much free space with my plan), evernote (has free functionality, but also a premium price for added features), and others, while they don't necessarily cost anything to use, are definitely unwanted apps taking up valuable space that could be taken up by apps that I'd actually use.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you're taking that a step too far. Either that, or I land somewhere in between the two definitions. I see bloat as New2u does. All the extra junk from the carrier (if not the manufacturer as well).

Obviously, the dialer is necessary for the device to function as a phone and the gallery is necessary to view the pictures when the device is used as a camera. For that matter, the camera app is also necessary to use the hardware.

I guess maybe I lean more towards your view if you paint it with such a broad brush. The thinks like VZW Navigator and etc that cost money to actually use are most definitely bloat, but other things like Cloud Storage (I get so much free space with my plan), evernote (has free functionality, but also a premium price for added features), and others, while they don't necessarily cost anything to use, are definitely unwanted apps taking up valuable space that could be taken up by apps that I'd actually use.
This was very true in the days where our dedicated app space was in the mega bytes but now it's not as big of a deal. Granted I don't justify the increase in dedicated app storage space as reason to add more "optional" things (I'm on AT&T who make Verizon additions look like a nexus in comparison) .
As we've discussed before, it'd be really nice if phones and tablets came bare bones with the ability to customize what we want. What some call bloatware others call essential. What some loathe about a system ui others can't tout its benefits and beauty enough. Android was initially about choice and needs to return to its roots while progressing forward instead of becoming a clone controlled by manufacturers and carriers.
Google probably has enough money to buy a controlling interest of every major carrier on the planet. There's no need to be a red headed step child to them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I think Google's heading in the right direction. Seems to me like they're being smart about it and moving slow though.

Their latest stipulations for oems if they want to have access to gapps and the play store weren't just limited to making sure "powered by android" was on the boot screen. They also stipulated that more core apps from those oems have to be offered as standalone downloads. Will this fix our woes right away? Not at all, but as I said, I think it's a step in the right direction for getting some of the clutter out of the way.

I see your point with the amount of space that these devices come with these days, but I still argue that, no matter how much space my device has, I should be able to allocate that space as I see fit and not have something taking up even the tiniest percentage of it when that something is an app/service that I will never use.

We've also got another step in the right direction by being allowed to "turn off" many of these apps that I personally consider to be bloat, so I think there's hope for the future.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Bloatware to me would be non-system related apps that cannot be deleted. Flipboard, navigation apps, etc.

Either way though since I am no longer an AT&T customer the spare S5 that we have cannot access their servers for the OTA which leaves only Kies being able to move the phone up to 4.4.4. IF they authorize the firmware to be available through Kies.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Google's heading in the right direction. Seems to me like they're being smart about it and moving slow though.

Their latest stipulations for oems if they want to have access to gapps and the play store weren't just limited to making sure "powered by android" was on the boot screen. They also stipulated that more core apps from those oems have to be offered as standalone downloads. Will this fix our woes right away? Not at all, but as I said, I think it's a step in the right direction for getting some of the clutter out of the way.

I see your point with the amount of space that these devices come with these days, but I still argue that, no matter how much space my device has, I should be able to allocate that space as I see fit and not have something taking up even the tiniest percentage of it when that something is an app/service that I will never use.

We've also got another step in the right direction by being allowed to "turn off" many of these apps that I personally consider to be bloat, so I think there's hope for the future.
If I had my way my phone would come with a generic ui and the only apps onboard would be ones to stores to get the rest. Play for all, Samsung for Samsung, HTC for HTC, etc.
A generic phone app,a generic messaging app and that's about it onboard for "core" apps, not even a generic browser or music player.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
They have this device called an iPhone.....that's pretty "generic"....IDK, might be worth looking into. LOL!
All kidding aside, it's never really bothered me. IMO Nexus devices are TOO vanilla for my tastes. Overall the average consumer doesn't prefer plain vanilla Android. If they did, Nexus would be the best selling device for the past 6+ years.
Personally I'd rather have too many options than none at all.
But at least we have a multitude of options across dozens of manufacturers.
While I agree, it does suck to have all this bloat take up valuable space, it's not like we don't have a choice to go with a device that comes stock with 32gig or higher of internal storage. (Or go with a device that provides external SD storage)
Their fact is we have more choices than we've ever had, yet we still find reasons to complain. I guess it's just human nature. Has Android spoiled it's users by giving them TOO many options, and is this a contributing factor in the iPhone's continued success? Makes ya wonder....

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
You may actually be on to something. Aside from the options when it comes to what a device has or doesn't have, the extra customization options with the Homescreen & multitude of third party apps is a bit much for some people. Where ios got it right for the basic user is the simplicity.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may actually be on to something. Aside from the options when it comes to what a device has or doesn't have, the extra customization options with the Homescreen & multitude of third party apps is a bit much for some people. Where ios got it right for the basic user is the simplicity.

Then let 'em get an iPhone :D
If ios let me change my defaults on SO many built in core apps I'd have never gotten my Tab 10.1
Again that's why I'd want manufacturer specific stores. They could tweak Chrome, or whatever, to their specific devices and it'd end the fragmentation nightmare for Android developers who do a great job of taking their wares and making them work on devices with countless over writes and several os versions of Android since Andy isn't like ios in that they push the ability for newer to everybody.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Again that's why I'd want manufacturer specific stores. They could tweak Chrome, or whatever, to their specific devices and it'd end the fragmentation nightmare for Android developers who do a great job of taking their wares and making them work on devices with countless over writes and several os versions of Android since
It's simply not cost effective. Doing this would dramatically increase the cost on our devices, and with the majority of consumers buying "on contact" as it is, I just don't see this ever coming to fruition. (Good idea though!)

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
To me, that sounds more fragmented. And how do I know whether I can download chrome from the Google store, or if I have to get it from the Samsung store?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To me, that sounds more fragmented. And how do I know whether I can download chrome from the Google store, or if I have to get it from the Samsung store?

Play would be for books, music, etc. Apps on manufacturers store.
Yes more possible fragmentation BUT the developers would have the choice which to support and which to not. If the device sucks or the manufacturer does a poor job of their device, the developer isn't hog tied to them while trying to make a do all for everybody as it is now. It'd light a fire under the manufacturers who readily abandon their stuff after a year (cough Samsung cough) in far too many instances and they'd have to do a better job with their bloatware if they want it to actually be used.
As far as higher cost, a lot of what we pay for now is embedded software (aka to some as bloatware) such as S Note , Dropbox, Evernote, etc so in theory it could actually reduce cost with the buyer paying for software after the device purchase.
I know I'm living in a fantasy that'll see individual tv channel purchase vs bundles come to fruition before bare bones devices. The ship is too far from the port and humans are too deevolved to be willing to learn how to make their own truly unique device.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You cannot use iOS and Simple in the same sentence anymore. It's just as complicated as Android now. They've even copped a problem Samsung had recently with firmwares being to large to install on their best devices without deleting stuff.

It would be simple for Google to make optional software a sideload. They won't do it though. It's like they are scared to make skins and bloat optional.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You cannot use iOS and Simple in the same sentence anymore. It's just as complicated as Android now. They've even copped a problem Samsung had recently with firmwares being to large to install on their best devices without deleting stuff.

It would be simple for Google to make optional software a sideload. They won't do it though. It's like they are scared to make skins and bloat optional.
Is there any way I can triple like your post?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4