AT&T Practically Bribing Customers to Leave T-Mobile with Up to $450

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-death-star-tmobile.jpg

Is this a sign that T-Mobile's Uncarrier initiative has been drawing customers from other carriers? Very likely. AT&T just issued a press release revealing an aggressive new discount promotion designed to entice T-Mobile customers in a big way. In fact, with these numbers, you could almost argue that AT&T is bribing folks to leave T-Mobile. The offer involves up to $250 in trade-in on your current T-Mobile device. The promotion will also provide a $200 bonus incentive credit if you opt for a new AT&T Next plan or buy a device at full price. For folks able to take advantage of both offers this is where the potential $450 total savings comes in.

It's definitely a bold move on AT&T's part to say the least, but if the current T-Mobile rumors are true, it might be a smart strategic move for AT&T. Recent industry rumblings suggest that T-Mobile's next phase of their Uncarrier initiative involves the company buying other carriers' customers out of their current contract by paying the early termination fees for the customer. There are even hints that T-Mobile might be planning to unveil this new phase of their Uncarrier plan at CES next week.

If true, then it is likely this "special offer" from AT&T is simply a preemptive strike designed to catch T-Mobile off guard. Either way, it could set off a price war between carriers in 2014. In the end, consumers are the ones who gain the most from these massive maneuverings, so sit back and enjoy the show!

Here's a link to the full AT&T presser below for the details.

Source: PRNewswire

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Very interesting move on At&t's part....

sent from my Hot Galaxy Note 3 ;-)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This, at worst, costs AT&T no more than a regular subsidy to an existing subscriber. It is, again, a marketing gimmick designed to take advantage of people who can't do math.

So, hmmm, if you buy a $650 phone you can receive up to $450 in credits, for a net cost of $199?!? Not to mention AT&T can flip those phones if they choose for at least $50-$100, maybe more.

Meanwhile VZW will sit back and laugh because AT&T and TMo waste all their money on customer acquisition when they have a bigger problem with customer retention.

wilyums

Reaction score
We will know that TMo is making real waves when we see Big Red start to get uneasy. Too bad AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data packages I think you would see the masses run straight to them, including Verizon folks.

bsghs02

Reaction score
We will know that TMo is making real waves when we see Big Red start to get uneasy. Too bad AT&T doesn't offer unlimited data packages I think you would see the masses run straight to them, including Verizon folks.

I'd be on AT&T soooo fast if they had unlimited data again. Verizon's dead to me, been screwed too many times.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Droid Forums

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sounds like att is hurting by T-Mobile campaign. Can't say same for Verizon.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like att is hurting by T-Mobile campaign. Can't say same for Verizon.

Verizon will lose its dominance 1 paper cut at a time. As other carriers catch up/surpass in network coverage, Verizon will continue to act like it's the best coverage even once it isn't anymore. Notice the terminology of their commercials and AT&T commercials have switched to what the other used to say. Verizon now claims largest and AT&T now claims most reliable, opposite of their commercials in 2012.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

jamjr74

Reaction score
Verizon will lose its dominance 1 paper cut at a time. As other carriers catch up/surpass in network coverage, Verizon will continue to act like it's the best coverage even once it isn't anymore. Notice the terminology of their commercials and AT&T commercials have switched to what the other used to say. Verizon now claims largest and AT&T now claims most reliable, opposite of their commercials in 2012.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

I kinda agree with you the only problem is Verizon's coverage is so far superior to the other carriers and they know it. Why do you think T-Mobile has made all these "Un-Carrier" moves? It is the only way they can compete with Verizon and At&t. T-Mobile and Sprint may have more attractive plan options and unlimited data options but their service and coverage is sub par compared to Verizon and At&t. I really dont ever see them investing the money to have a compareable coverage either! I have tried T-Mobile and Sprint and always end up back with Verizon for coverage reasons and I have always had great experiences with their customer service as well unlike some I guess. I have never tried At&t but I assume their coverage is superior to T-Mobile and Sprint from word of mouth. Anyway The shake up in the carrier industry will only help all of us and I'm hoping it will make Verizon make some moves!

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If AT&T wanted to get back at T-Mobile, they should start offering:hail: unlimited data plans like T-Mobile, not only will T-Mobile "which will be crushed", but also Verizon:icon_ devil: will start losing their minds:icon_evil:, and customers:icon_ lala:, lol.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's the "they know it" that will be their downfall. AT&T is taking huge leaps to ease congestion in its almost as large as Verizons existing network, T-Mobile is quietly and slowly expanding off of main thoroughfares (though it'll take decades at the current pace to be relevant) and Sprint will eventually figure out how to stop shooting itself in the foot and become relevant as well.
I can't speak for other areas of the nation but in Virginia now Verizon is shutting down cells leftover from the Alltel days while AT&T is dissolving partnerships on other cells, creating congestion issues that weren't there a year ago in many areas. I have spoken at length with a gentleman at Verizon in charge of adding new cells and existing network coverage gaps while trying to find out why a cell in my home town (the only cell) went dark back in August. The closest cell to me now is over 4 miles away. Not cool with a local population of over 25k.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

jamjr74

Reaction score
I have never experienced any gaps in coverage in MA with Verizon. I would lose coverage quite frequently with t-mobile which is why I left. Well let's hope that things shake up and we can all save some dough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have never experienced any gaps in coverage in MA with Verizon. I would lose coverage quite frequently with t-mobile which is why I left. Well let's hope that things shake up and we can all save some dough.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Agreed. We need a good old price war. I'm month to month now, see no need to resign, gonna see if anything shakes out of this stuff between T-Mobile and AT&T that will lower my bill.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
LOL....two "stories" pop-up like clockwork about every 3-4 months:
1) TMo/Sprint is becoming relevant and going to force VZW/AT&T to change
2) VZW is ending unlimited

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Agreed. We need a good old price war. I'm month to month now, see no need to resign, gonna see if anything shakes out of this stuff between T-Mobile and AT&T that will lower my bill.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

Man a price war would be awesome! With the cost of my phone I shell out about $2000 to basically text people over my two year contract. My office land line and tablet do the rest. Man I hate paying that bill every month for texting!!