AT&T Plans to Add 50 New LTE Markets Before Year's End Totaling 420

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
attlte.jpeg

It looks like AT&T is rapidly catching up with Verizon when it comes to LTE markets covering their network. The company formerly known as "Ma Bell" will make a huge push and bring LTE to 50 new markets before the end of the year. This will bring their total up to 420 LTE markets covered. Here's a quote with some more of the details,

That will easily meet AT&T’s 2013 goal of 270 million people covered — it’s at 225 million today — putting it just 30 million people shy of completing its nationwide network. Verizon Wireless wrapped up its 4G rollout in June with 298 million people covered. AT&T expects to put the finishing touches on its LTE footprint by next summer. Both Sprint and T-Mobile have some catching up to do.

On Wednesday, AT&T’s new network will go live in Ruston, La.; New Bern, N.C.; State College, Pa.; Georgetown, S.C. and Jayuya, Puerto Rico. Here’s the full list of the 50 newly announced markets for the remainder of the year:

Fairbanks, Ark.; Dothan and Selma, Ala.; Redding, Calif.; Durango and Pueblo, Col.; Tifton and Waycross, Ga.; Kauai and The Big Island, Hawaii; Des Moines, Iowa; Twin Falls, Idaho; Lewiston, Idaho; Decatur, Kankakee-Bradley and Peoria, Ill., Paducah, Ken.; Alexandria and Lake Charles, La.; Lewiston-Auburn, Maine; Battle Creek and Jackson, Mich.; Joplin, Poplar Bluff and Rolla, Mo.; Brookhaven, McComb and Natchez, Miss.; Kalispell, Mon.; Greenville and Jacksonville, N.C.; Fargo, N.D.; Elmira and Utica-Rome, N.Y.; Portsmouth and Sandusky, Ohio; East Stroudsburg and Pottsville, Pa.; Abilene, Amarillo, Longview, Marshall, San Angelo and Tyler, Texas; Port Angeles, Wash.; Appleton, Fond du Lac and Oshkosh-Neenah, Wis.; Gillette and Sheridan, Wyo.

Source: GigaOM

jspradling7

Reaction score
I have AT&T for my Uverse TV and Internet at home. I shiver at the thought of dealing with them anymore than I already do. Verizon has their problems but they're ten times better at customer service and billing.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
att and verizon are on opposite sides of spectrum when it comes to customer service.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For covering 90% of the area VZW does, it certainly seem like a lot less.