AT&T May Tap Cyanogen for a Non-Android Smartphone [Rumor]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-store-logo-stone.jpg

We aren't sure what to make of this one? Supposedly, AT&T is considering investing in a completely new smartphone which will not use the direct Android OS. The rumor-mill is suggesting that AT&T is hiring Cyanogen to create a version of their Android-forked CyanogenOS. The intel indicates that AT&T is doing this because Google has been trying to assert more control over the Android OS going forward.

If this turns out to be true, we can't help but think of it as a misplay here at HQ. Amazon once tried to do the same thing, and that went swimmingly didn't it? Also, Samsung has false started several times with Tizen based smartphones to no success either. Why would AT&T be able to succeed where those others have failed?

Source: Investors.com

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If this is true congrats to CM. No matter how one may feel about the person, company, or ROM, to go from ROM to a phone with your own software sponsored by a carrier and bloatware is coming up in the world.

Personally I would not purchase it. But I wish them the best of luck no matter how Amazon fire like that phone seems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If they market it properly, they might be alright. They'll need to stress that it's a version of Android though IMO. The average consumer knows at least the "Droid" name, so mentioning Android when advertising this device may help with recognition, but I don't know that the average person cares about CM or what it is or offers over stock Android. All they might know is their choice is basically iPhone or Android phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think they going to play the game of not calling it android but calling it an att phone (ie like the old phones in the past running symbian). With it being att and made by zte it is basically their low cost (bottom of the barrel price) that they don't have to maintain while getting people on an agreement for the cheap. The gravy is they will be able to swap out android apps with the apps they want without having to worry about Google. So make way for Bing, att navigator, and all the att apps you can stand.
How long before Vzw have their own?

This is not the phone for geeks it's the phone for those wanting a smart phone for cheap. This will be the phone that they sell for basically nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

kinfolk248

Reaction score
Phone for cheap, aren't those called windows phone??
And all Google has to do is squeeze Andy a little more to cut out this copycat, and make ppl use Google services (android). But wth do I know, I'm just a good old boy...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Google will continue to allow people to make their own version of Android. That very notion is what helped build Android to where it is at now. So if any one on this thread want to build their own rom from source Google will provide the source and tools.

But if you want Google's version with access to GP&S then you are going to have to abide by their rules.

At the end of the day people will choose Google because it works. As awesome of a job the CM crew do with their Roms, there is a reason people (including crackflashers) chose Google. The cream rose to the top.