AT&T Logo on the Nexus 6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I didn't see a way around the boot logo. Only Apple has that kind of pull.

If the bootloader isn't locked there will always be a way later to rid yourself of the boot animation and sound.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well folks, looks like reports are coming in. The logo is indeed there, as well as a boot logo and the At&t jingle. Mine should be here today and I can confirm, but it seems real.

What are your thoughts?

Looks like they didn't touch the OS, just the logo partition of the phone Moto gives carriers access to.

Sent from my Nexus 5
I say down with the deathstar

I'm actually interested to see the Verizon nexus now. If att did that I can imagine what Verizon would do. I expect Verizon 4g LTE to be either covering the entire back over top the nexus or Verizon some how got Google to remove the nexus from the back and allow Verizon to put Verizon 4GLTE in its place. As well as in the front. Would not be surprised if Verizon asked for the version Motorola was going to put out before giving it to Google and they call it the Droid Turbo Maxx and it just be the nexus 6 in red and black with a locked bootloader and Verizon apps all over it.

As much as I am taking junk about Verizon it would not surprise me if they sold it as is straight from the play store in blue and white in both 32 and 64 GB models.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Correct.. Confirmed stamp and boot logo in separate partition.. Flashing Google factory image will not rid of it.. But there will be ways down the road I'm sure of it.. Let us know when you get it..

M8 tap'd

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct.. Confirmed stamp and boot logo in separate partition.. Flashing Google factory image will not rid of it.. But there will be ways down the road I'm sure of it.. Let us know when you get it..

M8 tap'd
Honestly I'm rarely at the boot screen any way. It is not like the old droid days where you had to reboot almost every other day. The last time I was at the boot screen was when I rebooted for lollipop installation and before that I easily went a month or two before seeing the boot up screen. The principle I wished carriers would leave android be just like they do the iPhone (don't see att boot logo on the iPhone or death Star on back). But in the grand scheme as long as I can unlock the bootloader I'm not going to let that make or break my decision.

What irony that I left Verizon because of them tampering with the nexus only to have att doing the same thing.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah like you @pc747 , rebooting rarely happens, and down the road with root I am sure we can modify or flash something to get rid of it. It does hurt my principles, but hard to let that bring me to returning it to an At&t store tonight.

Again, as long as At&t does not slow down updates, and the bootloader is not messed with. Wish we could get confirmation on that before I open it up when it does arrive. Course, the slowing down of updates is something we won't see until it is too late anyway.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah like you @pc747 , rebooting rarely happens, and down the road with root I am sure we can modify or flash something to get rid of it. It does hurt my principles, but hard to let that bring me to returning it to an At&t store tonight.

Again, as long as At&t does not slow down updates, and the bootloader is not messed with. Wish we could get confirmation on that before I open it up when it does arrive. Course, the slowing down of updates is something we won't see until it is too late anyway.
Doesn't matter we can just flash the factory images. My last two updates I updated it myself instead of waiting on Google.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Doesn't matter we can just flash the factory images. My last two updates I updated it myself instead of waiting on Google.

That is true. So if we have unlockable bootloader, we can flash factory images. Even if we don't have unlocked bootloader, we can flash the OTA zips when available?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Still not seeing a big deal here...

There won't be as long as the bootloader isn't locked down, they didn't touch the OS which is what I was concerned about. No bloatware, and boot logo can always be changed later I am sure.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Well, there she is. Logo on the back is nothing to me, the boot logo itself is actually really fast and not cumbersome. It was however extremely loud, front facing speakers are not messing around.

There were some fingerprints on the front screen cover, guessing from the tech that At&t'd up my phone. The only thing I noticed, and I am being knit picky here, is there is some scuffing on the back that is not coming off.

This could be from rushed manufacturing, or mishandling by the tech that was working with the phone before sending it out. Again, I am OCD, so most probably wouldn't even notice, and this thing is going in a case right away, so inconsequential I suppose.

XKHJ6NA.jpg

Update: Got through the initial login process and did find two At&t apps installed, both were removable though. 'At&t Live' and the 'My At&t' app. Take that for what you will. Any other questions or concerns I can investigate those. Assuming the commands are the same, I can try and unlock the bootloader to make sure it can, and then re-lock it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, there she is. Logo on the back is nothing to me, the boot logo itself is actually really fast and not cumbersome. It was however extremely loud, front facing speakers are not messing around.

There were some fingerprints on the front screen cover, guessing from the tech that At&t'd up my phone. The only thing I noticed, and I am being knit picky here, is there is some scuffing on the back that is not coming off.

This could be from rushed manufacturing, or mishandling by the tech that was working with the phone before sending it out. Again, I am OCD, so most probably wouldn't even notice, and this thing is going in a case right away, so inconsequential I suppose.

XKHJ6NA.jpg

Update: Got through the initial login process and did find two At&t apps installed, both were removable though. 'At&t Live' and the 'My At&t' app. Take that for what you will. Any other questions or concerns I can investigate those. Assuming the commands are the same, I can try and unlock the bootloader to make sure it can, and then re-lock it.
At least it appears to be more of a ghost image than a shockingly white deathstar.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Update 2: Even with all volumes all the way down, the boot sound is incredibly loud and I am getting terrible looks from my office mates. The speakers are nice, but At&t is abusing them with their boot sound.

I know, someone will find a way to change that, but don't expect to be able to reboot your phone anywhere quiet for awhile. Also, bootloader is un-lockable, and re-lockable.

creaky

Reaction score
Update 2: Even with all volumes all the way down, the boot sound is incredibly loud and I am getting terrible looks from my office mates. The speakers are nice, but At&t is abusing them with their boot sound.

I know, someone will find a way to change that, but don't expect to be able to reboot your phone anywhere quiet for awhile. Also, bootloader is un-lockable, and re-lockable.

Last bit is music to my ears. Thanks for the update.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I just got back from T-Mobile.. Phone is slick I like the feel.. Only thing how's that screen @Sydman? Whites were a little off not sure if bc in store... Speakers were good... Couldn't text camera with big claws around phone lol...

M8 tap'd

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Phone feels great, the back is slick and a finger print magnet, but case will go on it. I don't think it is too big, but I have big hands. Speakers seem great, will be interesting to hear some music on it.

That review from MKBHD did say the white were sort of salmon color in low settings, I think I can confirm that, when the brightness is higher, you don't see it.