AT&T is Trying to Bribe Their New DirectTV Customers to Switch Cell Carriers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-death-star-vader-tempting-the-dark-side.jpg

Besides wanting to get more spectrum and spread out into another industry, it looks like there was another ulterior motive for AT&T to buy DirectTV. They are now trying to bribe all of their new DirectTV customers to drop their current cellular carrier and switch to AT&T. The bribe is not insignificant either and amounts to about $500 USD per family member who switches.

Even though the ink is barely dry on the papers for AT&T's acquisition of DirectTV, AT&T already started offering $300 bill credits for every line that a customer brings to AT&T. They are also offering an additional $200 trade-in credit if you trade-in your old phone. To get the $300 credit, the customer is required to buy a new phone on AT&T Next as well. Here's a quote with a few more particulars,

“If a family of four with DirecTV or U-verse TV switches four lines from their current wireless carrier to AT&T, buys and activates a new smartphone on AT&T Next for each line and also trades in 4 eligible smartphones per line, they’ll get $2,000 in total credits.”

Oddly, they are offering something similar to their own U-Verse customers as well. Check out the source link if you want all of the details. What do you guys think of AT&T's move? Is it smart extra value for customers, a shameless way to bribe consumers, or a little of both?

Source: AT&T

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
This merger means that I'll be canceling my Directv account ... Been dabbling with cutting the cord for a while, and this seems to be as good as time as any!

G4'ed it!

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wow! I suppose Verizon could do the same thing with their FiOS. In the end, maybe this could be better for consumers. When you have the top carriers competing for your dime, that can translate to real bargains.

sent from my Note3, (currently, but soon to be??) using tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
$500 seems like a good deal, BUT you're only getting $200 on a trade-in and buying a new phone at (I assume) full retail. In other words, this LOOK like they are providing a subsidy to only new subscribers. If it wasn't for buying the phone and trading in your old one this would be a really good deal....but if my math is right you'll get $500 toward a new phone, or $100-$200 out-of-pocket to switch (unless you're already in the market for a new phone, in which case that $300 is real).

Otherwise, buy and activate an el-cheapo phone to trade-in so you can pawn your better phone for the $300-$400 it may still be worth.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Wow! I suppose Verizon could do the same thing with their FiOS. In the end, maybe this could be better for consumers. When you have the top carriers competing for your dime, that can translate to real bargains.

They could do this with their FIOS customers, however there is a far greater liklihood that a significant percentage of FIOS customers are already VZW customers as well. On the other hand, ATT and Direct TV had no relationship before, and there was no loyalty issue with Direct TV and another carrier so they do stand to reap a larger benefit IMHO.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This merger means that I'll be canceling my Directv account ... Been dabbling with cutting the cord for a while, and this seems to be as good as time as any!

G4'ed it!

I just signed up for DirecTV back in April or May. Not happy with this merger. I'm wondering if I can get out of my contract with them because of the merger.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What exactly is the problem with this merger? I had AT&T since they sold out to Cingular and then purchased it back again. I never had a single issue that whole time where I wasn't satisfied with their product or their customer service. The only reason why I am not with them now is because TMo costs far less and works just as well for me.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have had Direct TV for years now, AT&T home internet and Verizon cell phones. This is nothing new. They have been doing this and offering deals like this for years already.

Edit: I have looked into switching cell service to AT&T twice to consolidate my bills and save money and it was never much cheaper....so I stayed the same. Maybe this is different.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I just signed up for DirecTV back in April or May. Not happy with this merger. I'm wondering if I can get out of my contract with them because of the merger.

Highly unlikely, being that this merger doesn't negatively impact your current DirecTV subscription.
Being a former DirecTV subscriber, I know they take their contracts very seriously. I tried getting out of mine on a couple of occasions, only to end up paying quite the fee for breaking my contract. (but this was about 7 years ago)

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
They could do this with their FIOS customers, however there is a far greater liklihood that a significant percentage of FIOS customers are already VZW customers as well. On the other hand, ATT and Direct TV had no relationship before, and there was no loyalty issue with Direct TV and another carrier so they do stand to reap a larger benefit IMHO.
I wonder if FiOS already offers a "bundle" discount. It is something I always wanted to consider if only I had FiOS in my area.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wonder if FiOS already offers a "bundle" discount. It is something I always wanted to consider if only I had FiOS in my area.

Yes they do.
Also here, in non fios areas Verizon home offers a bundle with Direct TV for dsl capable areas while Verizon wireless offers bundles with Dish in areas that have neither fios nor dsl for Dish's satellite/internet combo.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jugga222

Reaction score
AT&T should be able to provide good service with all their resources, but...I have had fiber internet with them now for almost 2 years and they refuse to correct an apparent issue at one of the distributing hubs nearby...I pay for 18Gbit /s but sometime I can't even stream Netflix and speedof.me records kbit/s rates... Very unstable. Their TV service works great though through same "pipeline", but $6 on-demand movie is a rip-off!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk