AT&T has iPhone until 2012

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
:clap: Here's to AT&T keeping the iPhone......forever!

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Umm... PA Semi? Agnilux? This is important why? All they did was buy up some talent. You do realize how ARM licensing works, right? If not here is the breakdown. ARM Holdings does not sell chips, it sells manufacturing licenses. TI, Qualcomm, PA Semi, Agnilux and just about everyone + dog that makes an ARM SoC has a manufacturing license. This means they can make and improve on the architecture however they like. So now that Apple owns PA Semi they can manufacture their own ARM SoC to use and sell to the public. No more, no less.
I can appreciate what you're saying, but do you really think Apple won't be a viable presence in the smartphone market within a year or two? "Game over for Apple" is a pretty definitive statement. Jobs is aggressively buying talent and IP because he knows iPhone dominance is threatened. He may be a control freak, but he's no dummy; sooner or later he will start taking risks to differentiate the iPhone from Android phones.

No doubt that Android will constantly be leap-frogging phones through the next few years; I also believe the iPhone 4G will be more susceptible to the effects of Moore's Law since they only release one phone per year. But many people who purchase smartphones are not aware of the differences between open-source vs. proprietary, advancement of ARM SoCs, etc. This will become more apparent as smartphones become ubiquitous.

Average consumers know Apple to be the Mercedes-Benz of the computer products market. It's the same reason why one million people bought a $500-700 iPad in the first month when it has the functionality of a crippled laptop. Apple's not going away anytime soon.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I wouldn't say game over as in no more apple but within the next 12 to 18 months they will relegated to last in market share. Apple has been relying too much on gullible consumers and advertising and that is changing in a hurry although from seeing the ipad and what is to be the next iphone, apple hasn't changed at all. That is what will cause apple to fall.

tktouch12

Reaction score
that is great news, honestly because then i wont be jealous of it.. i love the droid, but if my friends had an iphone i would be jealous of the apps at times. now, i cant be jealous. also, someone said when verizon gets off cdma, is that ever going to happen? i wish we had sim cards, but is that even slightly realistic?

issues636

Reaction score
I wish it was indefinate. Keep the iphone off the vz network. I used to want an iPhone,>>got Droid,>>Now, I do not want an iPhone. They can keep it. I'm not any fan boy. I just have a serious Jones for good gadget and since they made me Jones so hard during their 'exclusivity' that I got an ipodtouch to sedate myself, they can keep the iphizzle now. An Oc'd and themed Droid on a good network is the fix and I can tether the touch whenever need be.

i'm actually an apple "fanboy" if you wanna call it that. i have most apple products, because, like google has been doing, i like the fact that all apple products sync with each other. the one thing i DON'T like about my droid is the fact that i can't sync my photos with Aperture to my droid. i really want an iphone, have been waiting for a while. i have yet to root my droid, don't really see the need to. but once froyo comes out, if i can tether my droid to my itouch to give me wifi access anywhere, those iphone thoughts are going right out the door. i'm still gonna be a little disappointed about not being able to sync my droid with Aperture, but if i can get on the internet with my itouch without having to be near my router, that'll pretty much make up for it.

tylerdurdin

Reaction score
wow..... there was not one correct opinion or piece of info in this entire old thread.