AT&T has iPhone until 2012

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take a look at AT&T has iPhone exclusivity until 2012 - CNN.com

It was speculative before given the lack of independent confirmation, but now apparently Apple has gone on record to confirm that the original deal signed with AT&T for iPhone exclusivity back in 2007 was a five-year deal. That means at least some legal hoops would need jumping through if we're ever going to see that oft-rumored Verizon iPhone before 2012.

Kinda funny; AT&T's release of the iPhone is December 2012 and the Mayan calendar (and the Earth, some believe) ends in December 2012.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
I think this is good news for Android devotees. AT&T's data capacity is already strained, and they have a terrible reputation for dropped calls. iPhone exclusivity will only add to the stress (not to mention the iPad's data needs), further destroying AT&T's reputation. I happen to know someone who wants an iPhone 3G very badly, but refuses to hop onto AT&T.

This only cements Google's dominance in smartphone OS territory, as a Verizon iPhone would cannibalize sales of the Droid/Incredible, even though the new iPhone will decimate Android's sales numbers in the short term.

And that Mayan end-of-the-world thing is a load of BS. People really believe in that? Did they believe in Y2K also? How about the predictions of Nostradamus? Go read a book, people.

Darkseider

Reaction score
By the time the iPhone makes it off of AT&T it will no longer be relevant. Right now Android is selling more units per quarter, starting with Q1/2010, than Apple. With the release of the Incredible and EVO 4G, Q2/2010 will be wrapped up tight as well. Granted the impending release of the new iPhone will cause some hoopla but truthfully will not make much of an impact at all on Android sales. Then by the time Q4/2010 rolls around and we see the first Cortex A-9 based handsets it is pretty much game over for Apple.

JayCizzo

Reaction score
I wish "iPhone" was a censored word on this forum. I am sick of hearing about it. No disrespect meant to the OP. I know it's a relevant story, just expressing my opinion.

Darkseider

Reaction score
I think this is good news for Android devotees. AT&T's data capacity is already strained, and they have a terrible reputation for dropped calls. iPhone exclusivity will only add to the stress (not to mention the iPad's data needs), further destroying AT&T's reputation. I happen to know someone who wants an iPhone 3G very badly, but refuses to hop onto AT&T.

This only cements Google's dominance in smartphone OS territory, as a Verizon iPhone would cannibalize sales of the Droid/Incredible, even though the new iPhone will decimate Android's sales numbers in the short term.

And that Mayan end-of-the-world thing is a load of BS. People really believe in that? Did they believe in Y2K also? How about the predictions of Nostradamus? Go read a book, people.

The new iPhone will sell well only because it is the shiny new Apple iPhad device. Most people that will be purchasing that device will be current iPhone owners. Granted they will get new customers with it but nothing to the extent of what Android will get. People are getting wise to Apple and more and more are questioning whether purchasing a device for them is a good idea. Whereas more and more people that leave the iPhone for a Droid/Inc/pick a flavor have nothing but praise for Android and the devices it runs on.

OP
aaf709

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I happen to know someone who wants an iPhone 3G very badly, but refuses to hop onto AT&T.

That reminds me of the Coke/Pepsi cola wars. Statistics prove one is more popular based on the amount drunk, but they include numbers from fast food restaurants where only brand is available.

Statistics showing how popular AT&T is includes iPhone sales. Remove the iPhone from AT&T and we may see something like an end of the world to them.

I wish "iPhone" was a censored word on this forum. I am sick of hearing about it. No disrespect meant to the OP. I know it's a relevant story, just expressing my opinion.

I hear you (as the OP). I posted this mainly because I've seen posts from people wondering on getting a phone now or waiting until the iPhone comes to Verizon (some were thinking later this year).

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
By the time the iPhone makes it off of AT&T it will no longer be relevant.

Then by the time Q4/2010 rolls around and we see the first Cortex A-9 based handsets it is pretty much game over for Apple.

I really wouldn't count Apple out of the game so easily. Like Google, they have tons of capital to buy start-ups, and a die-hard fan base that is growing. They recently purchased PA Semi, which we shouldn't underestimate. Google countered that move by purchasing Agnilux, but no one's sure what the pipeline will bring.

A huge advantage Apple has over Google is that they have absolute control over the integration of hardware and software, something Goog is not yet capable of doing. The Nexus One doesn't even come close.

Darkseider

Reaction score
By the time the iPhone makes it off of AT&T it will no longer be relevant.

Then by the time Q4/2010 rolls around and we see the first Cortex A-9 based handsets it is pretty much game over for Apple.

I really wouldn't count Apple out of the game so easily. Like Google, they have tons of capital to buy start-ups, and a die-hard fan base that is growing. They recently purchased PA Semi, which we shouldn't underestimate. Google countered that move by purchasing Agnilux, but no one's sure what the pipeline will bring.

A huge advantage Apple has over Google is that they have absolute control over the integration of hardware and software, something Goog is not yet capable of doing. The Nexus One doesn't even come close.

Umm... PA Semi? Agnilux? This is important why? All they did was buy up some talent. You do realize how ARM licensing works, right? If not here is the breakdown. ARM Holdings does not sell chips, it sells manufacturing licenses. TI, Qualcomm, PA Semi, Agnilux and just about everyone + dog that makes an ARM SoC has a manufacturing license. This means they can make and improve on the architecture however they like. So now that Apple owns PA Semi they can manufacture their own ARM SoC to use and sell to the public. No more, no less.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post, I wasn't aware of that! I think those holding off for a Verizon iPhone will now jump to the Incredible :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
perfect timing with the end of my contract for the droid! ;)

You do realize that by the time the iPhone sees the light of day on Verizon there will be TONS of Cortex A-9 based Android devices? In english.

Dual Core 800Mhz to 1Ghz, superscalar, Out of Order Processing with plenty of ROM and RAM to make anyone happy. HDMI out, 1080p ON CHIP encoding AND decoding, etc... It would be at least two to three orders of magnitude greater in processing and graphics power than the upcoming iPhone 4G. Which will be the defacto Apple iDevice until June/July 2011 which is when you will see the first Cortex A-9 handsets. Oh and one more thing. The dual core 800Mhz A-9s have the SAME power consumption of similarly clocked Cortex A-8. The reason is better power management and a smaller die size. A little food for thought, that's all.

cplus

Reaction score
2012, eh?

I wish it was indefinate. Keep the iphone off the vz network. I used to want an iPhone,>>got Droid,>>Now, I do not want an iPhone. They can keep it. I'm not any fan boy. I just have a serious Jones for good gadget and since they made me Jones so hard during their 'exclusivity' that I got an ipodtouch to sedate myself, they can keep the iphizzle now. An Oc'd and themed Droid on a good network is the fix and I can tether the touch whenever need be.

montlyfool

Reaction score
IPhone falling to the number 3

With the IPhone falling to the number 3 spot behind Android, maybe people will start hollering they want Android and drop the IPhone once they realize the potential behind it. Not enough choices with the Apple OS and phone selections, but with Android, there is more coming.:greendroid:

Google's Android operating system edged out Apple's iPhone operating system for the No. 2 spot in the U.S. consumer smartphone market in the first quarter, research firm NPD Group reported Monday. According to NPD, devices running Android accounted for 28 percent of the units sold to U.S. consumers in the first quarter of 2010.
BlackBerry devices made by Research In Motion, which use RIM's homegrown operating system, took the top spot with 36 percent of the U.S. market. Apple's iPhone, which had been in the No. 2 spot previously, fell to third place with 21 percent of the market.
NPD's figures are based on self-reported consumer surveys and they estimate the number of devices sold to consumers. The figures do not include sales of devices to business customers through enterprise contracts.
Android is an operating system that is available on several different models of phones made by different manufacturers, such as Motorola, HTC, and Samsung. Meanwhile, Apple's operating system is used only on Apple's own iPhone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Think of Android circa 2008 as Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 and Apple as Japan. It took 4 years and we all know how that ended.