AT&T Emphatically Declares it Will Not Support Unlocked Bootloaders Now or Ever

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-legal-threats.jpg

Although this likely comes as no shock to anyone in the mobile world, AT&T has issued a public statement categorically denying support for unlocked bootloaders on any of their devices from now on. Technically, this is nothing new. AT&T has never officially supported unlocked bootloaders on their devices. In this instance, this was a direct response to someone's question regarding the bootloader of the new Moto X. Here was their response.

To ensure a safe and consistent experience on your wireless device, we do not support unlocked bootloaders.

Ultimately the folks who want to flash ROMs on their devices will find a way to get them unlocked and won't really care about support from AT&T. Still, it's worth noting that AT&T is so draconian about it. It's a debate that seems to go on ad infinitum.

Source: MotoXForum via AndroidPolice

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have fun with that AT&T. That'll last for about two minutes until the devs find a work around.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
att-legal-threats.jpg

Although this likely comes as no shock to anyone in the mobile world, AT&T has issued a public statement categorically denying support for unlocked bootloaders on any of their devices from now on. Technically, this is nothing new. AT&T has never officially supported unlocked bootloaders on their devices. In this instance, this was a direct response to someone's question regarding the bootloader of the new Moto X. Here was their response.

Ultimately the folks who want to flash ROMs on their devices will find a way to get them unlocked and won't really care about support from AT&T. Still, it's worth noting that AT&T is so draconian about it. It's a debate that seems to go on ad infinitum.

Source: MotoXForum via AndroidPolice

Eh, same thing vzw says. 1) Difference is at&t do not go through the trouble (as of right now) getting oems to go through the extras to make unlocking the device harder. 2) I can buy the T-mobile version and put it on AT&T. 3) I can buy a GE version and put it on At&T. So it really isnt a big deal.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Dear AT&T and VZW, please accept this invitation to my home for dinner. I'd like to discuss how you can lock my phone down harder and add a bunch more fee's to my bill!!

28mkac2.jpg

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Dear AT&T and VZW, please accept this invitation to my home for dinner. I'd like to discuss how you can lock my phone down harder and add a bunch more fee's to my bill!!

28mkac2.jpg

lmao, thats a good one!!

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
these carriers just don't get it, generally, you have to try pretty hard to brick a device with an unlocked bootloader.
they should all have a process to unlock it should we choose, and if they want to void the warranty at that point, so be it.
we paid for the phone so we should be able to do what we want with it, if that includes unlocking and voiding the warranty, that's our choice to make.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
these carriers just don't get it, generally, you have to try pretty hard to brick a device with an unlocked bootloader.
they should all have a process to unlock it should we choose, and if they want to void the warranty at that point, so be it.
we paid for the phone so we should be able to do what we want with it, if that includes unlocking and voiding the warranty, that's our choice to make.

Totally agree. That would prevent them having to take a loss when someone bricks the phone by doing something wrong. However, another reason is to prevent people from being able to use the phone as a hot spot without paying for it. Another however, that should be their right if they are on a data plan, but not if on an unlimited plan.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

They do in the form of G.E/developer devices and nexus. I think that is the closest we are going to get.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Totally agree. That would prevent them having to take a loss when someone bricks the phone by doing something wrong. However, another reason is to prevent people from being able to use the phone as a hot spot without paying for it. Another however, that should be their right if they are on a data plan, but not if on an unlimited plan.

the hotspot seems to be a loosing battle for them either way, i think that's why they are pushing the tiered data, so you have a limit hacked or not.
i pay for the hotspot even though i have unlimited. i could easily hack the hotspot, but think its only right to pay considering the hundreds of gigs i use a month.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
They do in the form of G.E/developer devices and nexus. I think that is the closest we are going to get.

yea, it would just be nice if you could simply open your account online and do it, seems to me it would be beneficial to all parties.

on a side note, i wouldn't be surprised if some time in the near future they encode something into the phone that transmits a modified status to your account and voids the warranty instantly. with as hard as they are trying to keep it locked down, just seems like the most logical next step.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Give me locked bootloader that's the fun part of getting a phone on Verizon...hehe

Actually my unlimited is really fun...lol but I love when the developers crack it or bypass it ...

I do feel they could find a way to keep them unlocked and cause less issues across the claims and all ...and somehow hotspot should not be an issue bc either way there will always be a work around ...

N2 tap'd HD

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea, it would just be nice if you could simply open your account online and do it, seems to me it would be beneficial to all parties.

I think we could get there in the near future.

Google Reportedly in Talks With Verizon to Offer Google Play Music All Access in Your Monthly Bill ? Droid Life

First (some) carriers allowed for apps to be added to carrier bills

We have this.

I believe eventually we may get to a point where carrier allow for devices such as tablets and phones can be added to your bill. But I think that will take time and the fact you have to pay full price for the device (vs subsidized) in the grand scheme of thing it will not matter unless carrier are willing to allow subsidies for google edition devices which I do not see happening.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6

28mkac2.jpg

:D:D:D:D

Might wanna be careful about where you post that pic. Back asswards as this country is getting you might get jailed.

Yellowhammer

Reaction score
HEADLINE: Yellowhammer Emphatically Declares he Will Not Support AT&T Now or Ever

boidsonly

Reaction score
If I ever thought about returning to ATT, their childish response killed that thought. Never again, ATT...