AT&T Commercials: On VZW you can't talk and surf at the same time!

A

apeshitninja

But....yes you can, I do it at times and I tested it out just yesterday. You can talk on the phone, switch to speakerphone, return to the home screen, then launch the web browser and surf anywhere you want.

Are they flat out lying or am I missing some marketing angle they are shooting for?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But....yes you can, I do it at times and I tested it out just yesterday. You can talk on the phone, switch to speakerphone, return to the home screen, then launch the web browser and surf anywhere you want.

Are they flat out lying or am I missing some marketing angle they are shooting for?

They aren't lying. You are on WIFI. CDMA it caanot be done

dtboos

Reaction score
CDMA Networks cannot handle them both because data is sent in streams, not packets like GSM. WIFI is not going over the network so yes you can do data over WIFI, and voice over the network, but you cannot to both over the actual Cell Network if on CDMA.

Redls1bird

Reaction score
Whats funny is, if you do it this way, your actually faster than using 3G.... I dont have an iphone, never wanted one.. Can you use wifi and phone at the same time with one? Does it even have wifi capability?

savioAMG

Reaction score
Whats funny is, if you do it this way, your actually faster than using 3G.... I dont have an iphone, never wanted one.. Can you use wifi and phone at the same time with one? Does it even have wifi capability?

Yes to both of your questions.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since this exact threads pops up about once a week, maybe there should be a sticky that says "No, the AT&T ads are not lying to you. No, you did not surf the internet while talking on the phone using 3G because you were on your home's wifi"...

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
If you are willing to throw more money at the problem, just get a Verizon MiFi and now you can talk and surf at the same time! :)

Reaction score
I haven't seen the ad, but depending on how it is stated, it could be a misleading fact or lie. Talking on the phone while surfing on wifi is STILL talking on the phone and surfing. Either way, AT&T and Verizon need to cut it out, negative ads lead to so much misinformation and don't benefit anyone.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
Either way, AT&T and Verizon need to cut it out, negative ads lead to so much misinformation and don't benefit anyone.

Sure it does, it benefits them that's why they do it. A lot of people who don't know any better and who have no desire to talk and surf the web at the same time would think the iPhone is "better" because it can. Marketing is all about trumpeting features your product has in a way that makes them seem like "must haves" to the uninformed.

Besides, it's fun to see them pissing back and forth. :D