AT&T Brings Back Unlimited Data Plans (with a Huge Catch)

Clamshell

Reaction score
Would have to be really good in order for me to give up my unltd. Did he give you a timeframe when this will happen?
Thx in advance!

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Wonder what AT&T is doing for people that don't have access to the U-Verse option. That service isn't available around my parts...I think one would have to go a couple states away to get it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wonder what AT&T is doing for people that don't have access to the U-Verse option. That service isn't available around my parts...I think one would have to go a couple states away to get it.
They also own DirecTV now & the OP says that service counts as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can debate semantics all you want, but throttled data is not "unlimited". The FCC and FTC agree. If the maximum bandwidth would allow me to download 300GB in a month and you throttle me so that at the throttled speed I can only download half that, then you have limited me to 50% of what would otherwise be possible. It is limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
You can debate semantics all you want, but throttled data is not "unlimited". The FCC and FTC agree. If the maximum bandwidth would allow me to download 300GB in a month and you throttle me so that at the throttled speed I can only download half that, then you have limited me to 50% of what would otherwise be possible. It is limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
FTC quote on unlimited:

“If it’s clearly disclosed, if a company advertises unlimited, but very clearly discloses their practices with regard to throttling we would not challenge that action.”

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have ATT U-verse TV and home Internet... This would cut my phone bill in half. Yeah they throttle after 22GB, but I am on a 15GB plan now with VZW and even with 4 phones on that shared plan, we rarely hit that. And ATT 3G is WAAAAAAY faster than VZW's 3G...

Does ATT offer any options where they cover an ETF charge in order to get folks to switch?

That ETF is usually the largest barrier to exit a carrier, it's why they have them, mainly...

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to tether from time to time, and I am on a tiered plan so I am able to without having to root and use an alternate app, etc...

AT&T will be always trying to block that if I were to make the switch. I don't tether much, but when I do, I usually NEED to for work or something... If I switched, I don't want to have to fight with them each time they put out an update that tries to block it, etc...

So the ATT plan, might not be for me, which sucks because it really would cut my bill in half. I am paying around $330 a month right now for everything with VZW.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
FTC quote on unlimited:

“If it’s clearly disclosed, if a company advertises unlimited, but very clearly discloses their practices with regard to throttling we would not challenge that action.”

I'm not arguing whether they can throttle or not.
All I'm saying is that it's not "unlimited".

Unlimited by definition means delivery of data at the maximum bandwidth possible over the interface. So if you artificially limit the bandwidth, as in throttling, then it isn't unlimited.

On this plan it's 22GB LTE, then you are subject to throttling.
They can call it whatever they like, but it's not "Unlimited".

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing whether they can throttle or not.
All I'm saying is that it's not "unlimited".

Unlimited by definition means delivery of data at the maximum bandwidth possible over the interface. So if you artificially limit the bandwidth, as in throttling, then it isn't unlimited.

On this plan it's 22GB LTE, then you are subject to throttling.
They can call it whatever they like, but it's not "Unlimited".
actually unlimited by definition means

not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent.

I agree why throttle, 22gb seems like a rather strangely arbitrary number to start throttling at, and honestly I'd rarely hit that, even on my vzw unlimited, unless I'm setting up a new phone or downloading a bunch of new apps I usually hit around 17gb a month, this throttling would be a non-issue. it's probably just them setting a precendent of some sor

alhadee12

Reaction score
Hmmm... I have ATT U-verse TV and home Internet... This would cut my phone bill in half. Yeah they throttle after 22GB, but I am on a 15GB plan now with VZW and even with 4 phones on that shared plan, we rarely hit that. And ATT 3G is WAAAAAAY faster than VZW's 3G...

Does ATT offer any options where they cover an ETF charge in order to get folks to switch?

That ETF is usually the largest barrier to exit a carrier, it's why they have them, mainly...
It's my understanding they don't cover them. They offer DTV costumers $300 credit per line to port over and $200 trade in credit per line.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk