At my wits' end - slow, force closing!

cuddlefish

Reaction score
I've had my Moto Droid since the weekend it was released and haven't had any major issues with it. For some reason since this past weekend the thing has lost its darn mind.

The first thing that happened is it froze, and I had to take the battery out to do anything with it. Then it took over 5 minutes to boot back up. After it booted up, it took about 20 minutes for all my apps to be available; they turned up in increments.

Since then, it's been excruciatingly slow. All sorts of programs, even ones that are standard for the phone, force close. I can't open images texted to me, and my google sky maps app will not work. I don't know what's going on with this thing. I don't have any task killers. I have gone through and manually closed all apps though, to no avail.

What can I do to fix this thing before I snap and throw it out the window of my office building?

Thanks!

ldimick

Reaction score
I would turn off every app and then add them back in one by one. I have even had to erase and reload apps to fix some ones that were causing problems. Since it was working with the newest update I suspect it is a rogue app.

have you added a lot of data or songs to your SD lately? It could be an MP3 player that is acting up while cataloging the lists. Are you using Home++ or other replacement?

OP
C

cuddlefish

Reaction score
I would turn off every app and then add them back in one by one. I have even had to erase and reload apps to fix some ones that were causing problems. Since it was working with the newest update I suspect it is a rogue app.

have you added a lot of data or songs to your SD lately? It could be an MP3 player that is acting up while cataloging the lists. Are you using Home++ or other replacement?

Amazingly, I don't have a single song on this phone. Should I uninstall and re-install all my apps? And no, I'm not sure what Home++ is, so I don't think I have it.

Thanks for your reply!

ldimick

Reaction score
I would uninstall and reinstall them one by one. I would not be surprised that when you ghet done with all of them that the problem is gone.

Have you looked at the battery status (Settings, About phone, Battery use) for clues?

Turn off the GPS and see if that helps. Turn off any apps that might be trying to find your location (locale, Google Location) Those can eat batteries as well as slow things down.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Amazingly, I don't have a single song on this phone. Should I uninstall and re-install all my apps? And no, I'm not sure what Home++ is, so I don't think I have it.

Thanks for your reply!
delete Google Sky first.....

I've read of a few people having problems with it.

vonfink13

Reaction score
i had an app called "retro widgets" that totally screwed up my droid..very similar to what you are saying yours is doing. ..someone on the forum suggested only adding one app at a time. Give it some time and seeing how it works with the droid and then add another..it makes determining/eliminating a bad app much easier...

samiusmc

Reaction score
I would download a free app called mybackup. Back up your files. Wipe your SD card and do a factory reset.