Asus Transformer Prime...boot loader encrypted.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
tprime.jpeg

The most sought after Android Tablet is under fire for the discovery of it's encrypted bootloader. A 128-bit encryption key stands between modders and the ability to load custom ROMs of their own. HTC was going down the same road and subsequently changed their stance when angry customers hit the social media hubs, slammed the company and demanded they do something.

Appears Transformer Prime users are gearing up to do the same. The movement has been dubbed "Operation unlock bootloader" and will be staged as a social media attack on Asus. This will be interesting to see if the "attack" results in a positive outcome.

Stay tuned!

Source: XDA

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Exactly.

I think with google putting out a nexus tablet I think oems are siding with "if you want to mod get a nexus", or even some taking the route like htc where you can unlock via our website but your warranty is voided. Oems are not wanting to take the hit on a device because someone "bricked it". Especially in the tablet market, the phone market carriers can give you a clnr, fix your phone and put it in the clnr rotation.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I don't see a problem with encrypted bootloaders if there is an option to unlock it. I don't mind a website that will let me unlock if I acknowledge that my warranty is void.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a Prime and tbh I don't really see a need for an unlocked bootloader on a tablet. Asus is good with their updates, just got a firmware update this morning, and the tablet is going to be even more of a beast when it gets ICS. I guess for principle's sake it sucks that it's encrypted, but I'm happy with the Prime the way it is, and I know it's going to get better with ICS. Not really interested in custom ROM-ing the thing, but I guess thats just me.

sb1831

Reaction score
I have a Prime and tbh I don't really see a need for an unlocked bootloader on a tablet. Asus is good with their updates, just got a firmware update this morning, and the tablet is going to be even more of a beast when it gets ICS. I guess for principle's sake it sucks that it's encrypted, but I'm happy with the Prime the way it is, and I know it's going to get better with ICS. Not really interested in custom ROM-ing the thing, but I guess thats just me.

This I think the ability to root and put a ROM on a phone is nice but with ICS I don't feel a strong desire to. Not much bloat, and it's easily disabled if you don't feel like rooting. People should be able to add or remove any software they don't want but a lot of people root and then soft brick their device and try to do a warranty claim.

I do find the whole "I want stock Android and an unlocked bootloader..." to be a bit worn out. A large majority of the people that want those things, just want it so that they can put something on their device that is NOT stock android and usually performs with more issues than stock Android.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Looks like Moto is going to have a friend at the lunch table :happy3:

Insidious

Reaction score
Y U 128 bit encryption bootloader?!
Bah the more bits the more of a pain it is to crack, hopefully Asus pulls an HTC and unlocks it.

npro1464

Reaction score
I was planning on getting a Padfone (should it come out for Verizon), but if this is any indication of where Asus is heading then I guess my next phone will be a Samsung or HTC. I need an unlocked bootloader!!

sarreq

Reaction score
*facepalm* (or for the Daleks among us, *domeplunger* )

this isn't even available on a carrier, is it? why lock it down?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
ASUS posted this on Facebook this morning.

ASUS

Official statement on bootloader for the Prime coming in a bit. Hang on tight guys.

In the mean time, relax.

I posted on their page yesterday that I am the very happy owner of a Transformer and would like a Prime but will not purchase any Android device with an ENCRYPTED bootloader. They must be deleting posts like crazy because my post is gone and their are no non-official posts on the page wall. Yet they post the above. Hopefully they really are getting slammed.