ASUS Reveals New Water-Proof Android Tablet Called 'The TOUGH'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-tough-front.jpg

Asus recently revealed an up-coming Android tablet that we haven't really heard about previously. The 7-inch tablet will be called the ASUS TOUGH, and will be designed as a rugged-style, water-proof and dust-proof Honeycomb based Android Tablet. Initially it will be heading to the KDDI network in Japan, and there is no word if it will make it to any other markets. Here is a list of specs:
  • 7-Inch Screen with a resolution of 1280x800
  • Honeycomb 3.2
  • Water-Proof and Dust-Proof
  • Dual-core 1GHz Tegra 2 processor
  • 16GB of built-in internal storage memory
  • 5 megapixel camera rear camera (no camera on the front)
  • EVDO, Bluetooth, WiFi and GPS & WiMax
It's interesting that it has WiMax support, so it is possible we could see it show up in the States for Sprint. Although this tablet looks a bit on the heavy and beefy side, the ability to use it outdoors or in the shower, make it kind of appealing. What do you guys think? Would you want this to come to the States?

Here's a link to some additional pics of the device: Asus TOUGH Android Tablet Additional Pics

Source: TransformerForums via PhoneArena

nikecar

Reaction score
Yes, the ability to surf and shower is the most pressing need for this.

Sent from someplace, and with something that you need not worry about.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
water proof is an added feature I can understand isn't built into every device but dust proof, there is absolutely no excuse that every phone, computer, tablet is not already dust proof. If you have to advertise your product as dust proof, there is something wrong.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I totally see the need for this. I don't know how many times I've tried to read on the toilet, and nearly dropped my phone or tablet in while pulling my pants down. ;)

-Matt

ABQNM

Reaction score
Too bad there is no front camera. Was kinda looking forward to underwater Skype video calls.

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Waterproof and water resistant sometimes seems to get interchanged; I expect something that is waterproof to be able to function fully submerged under water while water resistant means I can have it under and umbrella as I walk in the rain and it will be fine... I am curious which of these applies to this device.

B-Unit

Reaction score
water proof is an added feature I can understand isn't built into every device but dust proof, there is absolutely no excuse that every phone, computer, tablet is not already dust proof. If you have to advertise your product as dust proof, there is something wrong.

The only way to 'dustproof' is the same way you waterproof, by having a fully sealed case. Most devices dont do this due to the added expense of engineering something that is airtight but still is able to cool itself.

ABQNM

Reaction score
Waterproof and water resistant sometimes seems to get interchanged; I expect something that is waterproof to be able to function fully submerged under water while water resistant means I can have it under and umbrella as I walk in the rain and it will be fine... I am curious which of these applies to this device.

If the Asus says waterproof, I am sure that is what it will be. Manufacturers are very cautious about the claim of waterproof, since if it is just water-resistant, they can have a large number of warranty claims if they call it waterproof.

KanUHearMeNow

Reaction score
I totally see the need for this. I don't know how many times I've tried to read on the toilet, and nearly dropped my phone or tablet in while pulling my pants down. ;)

-Matt
LOL. I think I just saw a TV commercial where a phone went in the toilet... or maybe it was a TV show.
Anyway, it would make for an interesting commercial.
Haven't heard about this anywhere else today... seems like Amazons new cheap $199 tablet is getting all the press. But it won't survive a toilet excursion...

combatmedic870

Reaction score

I completely agree! :icon_ banana:

I could see this device VERY popular with Soldiers! Especially if it has a solid battery. Hell....there is sand EVERYwhere when your in the middle east.dust off isnt a want there....you NEED it!!!...well when i was there you did! :)