Asus Padfone Battery Lasts 14.1 Hours in Laptop Mode While Browsing Over 3G

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus_padfone_live_1-sticker-girl.jpg

The new Asus PadFone (hybrid laptop/tablet and smartphone) seems to have some very good battery usage numbers. When you put the device in Laptop mode, which allows the device to utilize both the laptop and tablet batteries in tandem, you can get 14.1 hours of continuous 3G browsing use. Here's a summary of some of the other battery usage specs from in-lab testing:

WiFi Browsing:
  • Phone mode = 2.6 hours
  • Tablet mode = 10.7 hours
  • Laptop mode = 17 hours

3G Browsing:
  • Phone mode = 2.1 hours
  • Tablet mode = 8.9 hours
  • Laptop mode = 14.1 hours

These numbers seems pretty impressive overall, and they could end up being better in real-world testing. How many of you guys are even more excited by this device?

Source: TransformerForums via Phandroid

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Doesn't the laptop dock come with its own battery?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Doesn't the laptop dock come with its own battery?

The laptop docks for the Transformer tablets do. Its handy as hell too. I'd like to see the phone. Wonder how their UI is.

Also, ASUS, can't you cough up a few hundred bucks and have your models get airbrushed with your logos instead of using stickers.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, ASUS, can't you cough up a few hundred bucks and have your models get airbrushed with your logos instead of using stickers.

LOL. That's funny (and so true) right there!

geoff5093

Reaction score
This sounded awesome when they first talked about it, but now the specs aren't that great. To top if off only a 4.3" screen and only 2 hours of 3G surfing?

silverfang77

Reaction score
Not to mention that it's 3G only. LTE'S the thing these days.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

npro1464

Reaction score
2 hours on just browsing? On 3G! There has to be some mistake. I think even the Thunderbolt all stock with LTE and widgets galore can do better than that. I'm pretty sure even the original Blackberry Storm (known for it's piss poor battery life, amongst other things) can do better. Who the heck wants a phone you can't use if its not connected to a charger or a tablet extension?

Maybe this is why Google didn't choose Asus for the next Nexus.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This sounded awesome when they first talked about it, but now the specs aren't that great.
I kinda had the opposite reaction -- after the original announcement (CES 2011?) I was like "hmmm, looks like a clumsy tablet/phone hybrid" but then I watched the unboxing the other day, and had a fairly strong "gotta have it" impression. I have to admit seeing the form-factor as a whole changed my outlook.

On the other hand, you're right about the specs -- in particular, the phone looks pretty mediocre -- really it's just an expensive excuse to have 3G on a tablet. But if the form-factor catches on (I'm a big Transformer fan), I'm sure the specs will catch up.

-Matt