Asus Officially Launches the Transformer Prime - Coming December for $499

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-transformer-primefull-shot.jpg

Asus has officially unveiled their new Transformer Prime! Previously we heard rumors that the device would be delayed until December because it would be coming fresh with Ice Cream Sandwich. Unfortunately, it is true that it will be coming in December, but it will first ship with Honeycomb. However, they did indicate that they were working to get ICS on it as soon as possible. This new tablet has been spoken of in great detail before, but since it is such a flagship product, the specs and features bear repeating:
  • Ultra-thin at .33-inches (8.3mm) and it weights only 586g
  • Two-different color choices in the brushed-metallic design: Amethyst Gray and Champagne Gold
  • Upgraded the camera = 8MP rear camera with F2.4 aperture and recording of 1080p video
  • 1.3MP front camera
  • 10.1-inch IPS+ display with a 178 degree viewing angle
  • Gorilla Glass
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
  • HDMI, and micro USB
  • Expected battery life = 12 hours without keyboard dock, or 18 hours with it
The tablet will come in either a 32GB for $499, or a 64GB for $599, and the keyboard dock will be available for $149. This seems like the most powerful and feature-rich Android tablet in the world. Which of you guys plan on getting this one?

Source: TransformerForums via ASUS Announces the Eee Pad Transformer Prime - Full press release

patriot95

Reaction score
The OG Transformer STILL doesn't get all the lvoe it deserves. It is still the #1 Android tablet in my book. This Transformer Prime is going to be an absolute beast. I'll see how the update to ICS with my OG Transformer goes. Once it is updated I might try to sell it off for a new Prime. Question: Did they state whether or not the new Prime will work with the original laptop dock? I know originally they said they would make all future tablets compatible... but I want to make sure!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Gonna sell my Xoom to get it... Probably...

I'll give my daughter the Xoom and buy this in february with my tax return once this dropped in price.

Wife will probable want the Xoom though :D

UN-L3ASH3D bionic with th3ory. Posting straight from me to you!!

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Oh great, $750 for a high powered Android tablet and keyboard that isn't even close to the power of a $500 notebook. I still consider these a toy. They run low powered apps instead of real powerful programs. Hey, if I could afford it, I would love to have a $750 toy like this, but with a budget, I would take a real Win 7 notebook over even the highest powered Android tablet. It is a very nice product, but IMO not worth it unless one has money to waste.

patriot95

Reaction score
Oh great, $750 for a high powered Android tablet and keyboard that isn't even close to the power of a $500 notebook. I still consider these a toy. They run low powered apps instead of real powerful programs. Hey, if I could afford it, I would love to have a $750 toy like this, but with a budget, I would take a real Win 7 notebook over even the highest powered Android tablet. It is a very nice product, but IMO not worth it unless one has money to waste.

Sorry, but you fit your username. Lol. Clearly you don't have a use for a tablet. The point is to have a tablet that is great with the opportunity to do anything a netbook an do. That's a PLUS. The point is the tablet can stand alone. Some people have a use for it and some people don't.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Sorry, but you fit your username. Lol. Clearly you don't have a use for a tablet. The point is to have a tablet that is great with the opportunity to do anything a netbook an do. That's a PLUS. The point is the tablet can stand alone. Some people have a use for it and some people don't.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

Let's not start offending people please. And actually, a tablet can't do anything a netbook can.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have the IPad, and I have to admit I have little use for it between my laptop and Droid. I do like it for reading books, and the WSJ.

Although I will admit the Transformer is a really nice option in lieu of a netbook. My laptop runs super hot, so the Transformer for surfing would be cool - and I'm a big fan of widgets and some of the handier apps. There's also a weird kind of feeling with it being really enjoyable to interact with.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
you forgot this!
The Transformer Prime is the world’s first tablet to feature NVIDIA’s next-generation quad-core Tegra® 3 processor. With the quad-core CPU, 12-core GeForce® GPU and vSMP technology, the Transformer Prime delivers an optimum user experience featuring smooth multitasking capabilities, lightning fast app loading, a rich and fluid web experience, full 1080P HD video for realistic media playback or recording and of course, incredible gaming performance that allows you to experience games in an entirely new way.

oh yea....
i dont care about quad core...
the gpu alone...its what dreams are made of....*eyes water*

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Let's not start offending people please. And actually, a tablet can't do anything a netbook can.

your right, compared to most of those garbage intel atom cpus and on board graphics, if what Nvidia is saying this tegra 3 can do it will blow some of those netbooks apart. the cpu is more efficient, if the GPU really is as powerful as they say it will run better games, and with the detachable keyboard you can have a full keyboard.

overall it sounds like a lighter more efficient alternative, and if you wait a few months it will probably drop sharply in price like the current tablets have.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
you forgot this!
The Transformer Prime is the world’s first tablet to feature NVIDIA’s next-generation quad-core Tegra® 3 processor. With the quad-core CPU, 12-core GeForce® GPU and vSMP technology, the Transformer Prime delivers an optimum user experience featuring smooth multitasking capabilities, lightning fast app loading, a rich and fluid web experience, full 1080P HD video for realistic media playback or recording and of course, incredible gaming performance that allows you to experience games in an entirely new way.

oh yea....
i dont care about quad core...
the gpu alone...its what dreams are made of....*eyes water*

the gpu, without the cpu, would be garbage... it most certainly needs all four of those cores backing it up.

watch the original glowball demo

djembeman

Reaction score
yes it's

Yes, it's pretty expensive. Almost to the point I'd consider getting a Macbook Air instead. But, it is new technology and priced comparably to other similar products. Me and my wife could eat for a couple of months for what this costs, so I'm not going to be jumping in and getting one so quickly.