ASUS Eee Pad Transformer with Android 3.1 Supports Xbox360 and PS3 Controllers

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 31, 2011.

1. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    A tablet will never replace a gaming console...yea it might be more portable but come on...its a 10.1 inch screen and the display under sun wont be very good...also there's way better games on consoles

Sent from my DROID2

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Nintendo seems to think tablets and consoles will work, if current rumors are true.

3. Narsil

Narsil Silver Member

Ratings:
    +263
    Exactly how often do you play your XBox360/PS3 outside in the sun? Screen size is irrelevant when you can plug it into your TV. Your tablet may have a 10.1" screen but your XBox360/PS3 has no screen whatsoever.

That being said, I don't think tablets will "replace" consoles for a while until you can get a tablet with 200 gigs of memory (so we're talking what, late 2012 at this rate?) and quad-cores or whatever comes after them.

Remember that Sony, Microsoft, et al, make no money selling the console, sometimes selling them at losses. They make their money on the peripherals and software. I see no logical reason why Microsoft or Sony wouldn't love to give up making consoles and focus entirely on software and peripherals that work on a multitude of devices rather than only their proprietary system. It seems to me they'd make more sales.

4. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't play outside, but you know where I was going with that. But at least when you plug your console in to a tv, the screen size will surely be bigger than 10.1 inches right. That way you don't have to have your face right up at that small 10.1 inch screen.

Sent from my DROID2

5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +825
    It's always been about controlling the home media center.

Don't hold your breath. Computers have had the capability for some time but MS and Sony aren't porting their console software to PC's.

Heck, Sony won't even let you dual boot Linux anymore...do you really think they're going to load up their PS3 on Android?

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +825
    Doh no edit....Experia Experia....OK, so maybe Sony or MS will come out with phones and tablets to replace their box. But I'd be skeptical that those would be more than a game-specific purposed device.

7. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After seeing what the Sony NGP, now PS Vita, is capable of and it is still in its' infancy I have no doubt that tablets may one day replace dedicated consoles. The nVidia Tegra 3 and other quad core Cortex A9 SoCs are just the beginning. When we start seeing 12nm - 14nm processes and 8 way Cortex A9 or Cortex A15 SoCs married with the latest in mobile multi-core GPUs is when game consoles will start to fade. This won't be for at least another 3 - 5 years but it will come. It's just the natural progression of things. ARM powered devices will replace much of what we have now in the mobile and desktop space. Just look at the Kal-El tablet demo videos that surfaced today. The thing is absolutely amazing and will perform 20% - 30% better than the prototype according to all nVidia reps.

Search tags for this page

asus transformer xbox 360 controller

can i use my tablet as screen for xbox

how to boot asus transformer in usb host mode

ps3 controller on eee pad
using a playstation 3 controller on an asus transformer pad