ASUS Eee Pad Slider Likely Coming in September; Specs Fully Revealed

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 15, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

It appears from reports that ASUS may be gearing up to release the Eee Pad Slider in September. Also, the full specs have been revealed:
    • Android 3.1 installed, with a promised 3.2 upgrade later
    • QWERTY-Sliding Keyboard
    • 1280 x 800 WXGA display
    • Dual-core 1GHz NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor
    • 1GB of memory
    • 5 megapixel rear-facing camera
    • 1.2 megapixel front-facing camera
    • USB 2.0, mini-HDMI, microSD card reader
    • WiFi and Bluetooth
    It will come in 16GB and 32GB "flavors" and will probably go for $400 and $550 models respectively. Asus is also throwing in one year of "unlimited ASUS Web Storage."

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Engadget
  2. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

sweet. i might go out and get this one lol
  3. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

The concept of the tablet is nice, but the specs aren't impressive enough that I would leave my Transformer for it. Maybe if the camera was better and it had a 1.5 OMAP 4430 or 4460..then I'd get it.
  4. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

Yea the specs aren't that much of an upgrade. But the keyboard is what attracts me lol

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!
  5. gadgetrants

gadgetrants Well-Known Member

Two thoughts:

First, the spec sheets I've seen suggest it will be ~.7 inches thick. The keyboard is a major asset, but at that thickness it will be also run around 2lbs. Not a dainty thing to hold.

Second, I'm betting against $400 for 16GB, and here is my reasoning: MSRP on the Transformer is $400 plus $125-$150 for the keyboard. It's already pretty clear that the Slider will compete with Transformer sales but with the Slider at $400, the Transformer will be demolished. I'm predicting $500 for the 16GB Slider. I'd PREFER $400...just don't think we'll see that price until 3-4 months after launch.

-Matt
  6. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Since it's really just a Transformer with a built in keyboard dock, it will probably cost around the combined price of the TF+dock. So around $550. To compete like you said, they will probably drop it down to $500. I think the Transformer with the keyboard is still thinner and lighter, but I'm not sure..
  7. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

My only hope is that since this is so similar to the Transformer, their roms will be cross-compatible. I have a feeling this will have a lot more development just because of the native keyboard. Booting Ubuntu from an SDcard will probably be on faster than it was for the TF.
  8. gadgetrants

I held off getting the TF after seeing some "lemon" reports on Amazon...looked like some units had been rushed through production to meet demand. But given how much I love my Droid...I'm drooling over the Slider form-factor. If it runs Ubuntu well...that'll probably force me to be an early-adopter. :)

-Matt
  9. Detonation

Detonation New Member

But does the slider keyboard also provide extra battery like the dock? I can't seem to find anything about batter life for the slider, but I can't imagine its 16 hours like the TF+Dock. Pus it doesn't have touch pad like the TF, which is a huge minus.
  10. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

The slider keyboard may be a plus, but it does not add extra battery life or ports like the Transformer's accessory dock does. The slider keybaord does add thickness and weight. Since the negatives negate the positives, I hope the Slider is priced as an alternative configuration to the Transformer, not as a premium upgrade.
  11. gadgetrants

Thanks guys, I completely forgot about the second battery + ports. I still agree with SwiftLegend that we'll see an early-adopter price at $550 or even $600 for the 16GB. Then price should drop like a rock through Black Friday.

Of course, Asus led the Transformer with a $400 MSRP, which caused COMPLETE BANANAS. They've also been a lot slower than others (e.g,. Acer) on the recent price cuts. The issue of built-in keyboard is a real wild-card for me...I see them pricing the Slider like a Transformer+KB combo package, but it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to completely kill the Transformer and lead with the Slider at $450 (or less?). That would probably mean a price-drop to $300 for the Transformer by year-end.

Plus don't forget the Kal-El rumors. If true, that means the Tegra 2 (and maybe even TI's dual-core) will look pretty shabby come next spring.

-Matt
  12. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

The Tegra 2 already us shabby compared to the OMAP 4430 and 4460 and Sammy's Enoxys.
  13. gadgetrants

Uhoh, hating on the Tegra. ;)

Actually, the more I learn about Android, the more I discover that "multitasking" is a myth. A few thoughts:

- First, how many Android apps are multi-thread capable? None, afaik (could definitely be wrong). That means that any given app presumably runs in ONE CORE.

OK, but then: I can run several apps simultaneously across different cores, right?

- Not exactly: it looks like the device RAM is the bottleneck. If Android runs out of RAM, it caches background apps--saving their state (e.g., gmail inbox and the message you were viewing 2 apps back)--and then restoring the app+state when you return to it. You have the illusion "it was still running." This happens to me on my Droid (OK, yeah...256MB RAM?) ALL THE TIME when I go back to my browser (it reloads the page!!!). Happens a lot with my gTab (500MB RAM) too.

There are some important exceptions: we can for example run a music player (which stays persistent) while browsing or reading mail. We hear the music (while offscreen) so it's obviously still running.

But then: LOTS of "apps" (actually, services/processes) run in the background, like location sensing, phone, push services, etc. Still, I wouldn't call *that* multitasking.

What's my point? I guess it's that: All those cores sound awesome, but multitasking on an Android device isn't quite the same as it is on a PC. (Sidenote: Nvidia is claiming that another advantage of Kal-El will be battery life. If so, then my analysis is not so relevant.)

-Matt
  14. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Not hating on it. Just stating facts. BTW, I have a TF and X2...both use Tegra 2.
  15. gadgetrants

You know I was joking, right? :)

More importantly, I was hoping you'd reject my multi-core account and set the record straight!

-Matt
  16. steveninspokane

steveninspokane New Member

hmmm, looks like a laptop.
  17. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Lol, I don't pick up sarcasm too well. But I do think you're right. I also think that multitasking on Android has to be more with the amount of RAM the device has, rather than the amount of cores. It's not like a PC where it's based on both RAM and CPU.