Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

asuscube.jpg

Are you willing to give Google TV another go? If so, the latest option for adding the Google TV platform to your TV is the Asus Cube, which is now being offered for sale by NewEgg.com for $140.

Today Asus formally announced the launch of the Asus Cube with Google TV. The 4.9-inch black box puts Google TV on users’ HDTVs through a custom cubed UI. Included with the purchase is 50GB of Asus WebStorage, a cloud-based service for storing your media content. In addition to playing live TV from your service provider (an IR repeater is included for controlling your cable or satellite box), the Cube can access a variety of streaming video services, including Amazon, HBO Go, Netflix, and YouTube. Apps can be organized into categories, such as TV & Movies, Games, Sports, Music, News, and Favorites, for easier and quicker access. Web browsing through Chrome is also supported, and a ‘Quick Guide’ feature lets users watch content picture-in-picture while web surfing.

Specifications

Ports In: HDMI In port x 1
Ports Out: HDMI Out port x 1
IR Blaster Out port x 1
Platform: Honeycomb 3.2
Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
USB 2.0 x 2
10/100 Base-T Ethernet port x 1
Dimension: 4.92" x 4.92" x 4.92"
Weight: 520g
Power input rating: 12 V DC, 2A
Power Consumption: 10W

[video=youtube;UzzsLVSBGdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UzzsLVSBGdU[/video]​

As a note, if you buy it today, you get a $10 gift card with your purchase.

Buy now @ NewEgg.com

Also, be sure to check out the Asus Cube section at GoogleTVForums.org!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe something is wrong with my math, but I find it really, really, really strange that the whole "Google TV" ecosystem is still on Honeycomb. FWIW I'm a proud owner (though infrequent user) of a Logitech Revue, which is a great device, if a bit underpowered. But for the life of me I can't figure out why Google hasn't "ported" ICS or JB to the TV platform. The only issue I can think of is that you're stuck with a landscape display, but other than that the rest of the functionality should transfer, right? As I recall, Honeycomb was orginally a stopgap OS between Froyo/Gingerbread and ICS for TABLETS, and was not specifically designed for TVs per se. I'm just totally befuddled.

And perhaps more to the point: I'm also puzzled why Asus (like Logitech, Vizio, etc.) is making these glorified cell-phones-that-don't-call as TV streaming/interactive devices. Come on guys, put in a little more HORSEPOWER!

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
for the price i am interested as i could make use of this product.
I'm a huge Asus fan, so this is not a knock on them -- or of this particular device -- but I think you'll be underwhelmed. From the brief time I've spent hanging out in the world of Revue owners, the two pervasive concerns are: (1) the hardware is minimally sufficient (e.g., light web browsing, Youtube, etc.) and much more importantly, (2) there is virtually no content beyond what other platforms and media extender devices (e.g., Boxee) are already providing. To put it in other words, the two things Revue owners wanted was TOTAL integration with the TV-watching experience (e.g., DVR management, time-shifting, remote-viewing, live onscreen information while viewing, etc.) and reasonably good access to mainstream content (basically, network and premium channels).

Again, my experience is somewhat limited but I'd say that buying a "Google TV" device is about equivalent to attaching your tablet via HDMI the TV and controlling it remotely with your phone. Maybe my expectations are too high...

-Matt