Asus Comment on Twitter Sparks A Controversy; Is There Rampant Sexism in Tech?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Lol, that's too funny money. It just goes to show they will sell & sell their behinds off for attention & for another customer.

Tapped from a Galaxy Nexus using Xparent ICS

Beardface

Reaction score
lol... the reaction to this is hysterical...

She was hired for her looks. She was hired to be the nice pretty girl that catches the attention of the males in the crowd in hopes they also get drawn to the device being shown. This is in her contract, believe me, she knows exactly what she was getting into. I personally have a couple friends that have done similar things, and they know EXACTLY what they're getting into. I have taken a look at some of those contracts, they know what they're in for, and they know it isn't about their knowledge or expertise of the product being shown. They know they've been hired to be a pretty face and a hot chick in a tight outfit (or sometimes scantily clad) to be a spokesperson for the company. They're given a couple token lines and facts to memorize, which they are to repeat if asked, but for the most part, they're paid to stand there and look pretty.

The fact that people are getting up in arms because ASUS dared to comment about the looks of the girl they hired to look good. As for the commenter who said "well, what if she wasn't pretty, and they made comments about how their device was better looking than her". Well, that's a moot point, cause it would never happen, cause a girl like that would never be hired in the first place.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, just my two cents: This is making a mountain out of a molehill. I think the picture basically offered what the tweet said. I thought it was funny. I consider myself very politically correct, but at some point you just have to take the stick from your...Asus. :blink:

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to chime in on this one now that it has had time to percolate a bit. Even though in my original article I got a bit philosophical there at the end, ultimately I can see multiple sides of this issue as being valid. I will elaborate on several different perspectives (covering many sides of this interesting topic/debate) that are mulling around in my head.

One... I agree with the many folks who posted that the world has become too politically correct. It gets old having to walk one egg shells to be careful what you say, just because someone else is hyper-sensitive. We should all learn how to relax and not take things too seriously.
Two... As a male, I can see why the original tweeter made the comment. She is attractive, and that was the reason why she was hired. Just because his comment might have the potential to be construed as insensitive, doesn't make it any less true.
Three... By trying to put myself in the shoes of a woman, I can imagine that it must be tough to live in a world where you are constantly bombarded by the prevailing culture to look attractive, yet you also want to be taken seriously as an intelligent human being. It would be a pain in the arse to pulled in so many different directions.
Four... It seems silly to blame Asus for the comment of one person. Yes, technically he is a representative of Asus, but he is also a human being, and guess what... people make mistakes. (and it could be argued whether this was a mistake or not.)
Five... I also must admit that I sometimes wonder why we think we need to continue the cultural norm that "sex sells." Yes, it does. But that doesn't mean we need to use that technique. Lying to people sells too, but that doesn't mean it should be used as a sales technique. In other words, why do we have the "booth babes" at all? (Although again, I must admit that the "monkey" in me certainly likes to look at them.)
Six... Should a person be indignant about defending someone else, when that person doesn't really want or feel the need for it. In other words... the model wanted to be hired to be gawked at. She wanted the job and the money knowing what the job would entail. Perhaps she even likes to be looked at. Why should all the angry tweeters "come to the rescue" of someone who probably doesn't need rescuing.
Seven... I come back to the original question in the title of my story... Is there rampant sexism in the tech world? I have read several sources that show women in the IT world find it harder to be taken seriously, and do not make nearly as much money as men. Does that also filter down into the retail world of tech?
Eight... if we really are willing to get self-reflective and look deep in the mirror, are we missing some perspective in which we are being disrespectful to others? If we can honestly say that we have the best interests of ourselves and others at heart and are comfortable with that, then everything is okay, and this "issue" really was just an overreaction. However, is it possible, even in the tinniest way, that we might be glossing over some larger issue? If not... that's fine with me. ;)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, they could have tweeted:

"That's one sweet Apple....NOOOOOO, it's the new Asus tablet!"

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
dgstorm said:
I think I am going to chime in on this one now that it has had time to percolate a bit. Even though in my original article I got a bit philosophical there at the end, ultimately I can see multiple sides of this issue as being valid. I will elaborate on several different perspectives (covering many sides of this interesting topic/debate) that are mulling around in my head.

One... I agree with the many folks who posted that the world has become too politically correct. It gets old having to walk one egg shells to be careful what you say, just because someone else is hyper-sensitive. We should all learn how to relax and not take things too seriously.
Two... As a male, I can see why the original tweeter made the comment. She is attractive, and that was the reason why she was hired. Just because his comment might have the potential to be construed as insensitive, doesn't make it any less true.
Three... By trying to put myself in the shoes of a woman, I can imagine that it must be tough to live in a world where you are constantly bombarded by the prevailing culture to look attractive, yet you also want to be taken seriously as an intelligent human being. It would be a pain in the arse to pulled in so many different directions.
Four... It seems silly to blame Asus for the comment of one person. Yes, technically he is a representative of Asus, but he is also a human being, and guess what... people make mistakes. (and it could be argued whether this was a mistake or not.)
Five... I also must admit that I sometimes wonder why we think we need to continue the cultural norm that "sex sells." Yes, it does. But that doesn't mean we need to use that technique. Lying to people sells too, but that doesn't mean it should be used as a sales technique. In other words, why do we have the "booth babes" at all? (Although again, I must admit that the "monkey" in me certainly likes to look at them.)
Six... Should a person be indignant about defending someone else, when that person doesn't really want or feel the need for it. In other words... the model wanted to be hired to be gawked at. She wanted the job and the money knowing what the job would entail. Perhaps she even likes to be looked at. Why should all the angry tweeters "come to the rescue" of someone who probably doesn't need rescuing.
Seven... I come back to the original question in the title of my story... Is there rampant sexism in the tech world? I have read several sources that show women in the IT world find it harder to be taken seriously, and do not make nearly as much money as men. Does that also filter down into the retail world of tech?
Eight... if we really are willing to get self-reflective and look deep in the mirror, are we missing some perspective in which we are being disrespectful to others? If we can honestly say that we have the best interests of ourselves and others at heart and are comfortable with that, then everything is okay, and this "issue" really was just an overreaction. However, is it possible, even in the tinniest way, that we might be glossing over some larger issue? If not... that's fine with me. ;)

Whoa, there is a whole lot there to respond to but, from "one" woman's perspective (notice the one in quotation marks, that means my perspective and not necessarily all women), I want to respond to some... all of which is in agreement. On point #...

1) I got a chuckle out of the comment. It was funny! And almost unavoidable that eventually someone would have to say what they are thinking. I think the problem is not so much what was in that tweet but some not knowing or respecting when to draw the line. When does a comment go from being an observation, compliment, thought to being rude or disrespectful. I don't think the original post reached that level but posts that followed did, among other things.
3) I do think this is where most became offended. The assumptions made, presumed, prejudisms implied that women are not tech savvy, or the ones purchasing are where most offense is taken. As a woman with a career as a professional and the constant upward battle to be recognized, taken as seriously, and paid as much as my gender opposite does is frustrating... so "I" often times can be sensitive to comments that degrade women's intelligence, interests or abilities and it was the assumption of some tweeters and posts that women are not tech savvy or out to buy tech products that I find sexist.
5) The fact of the matter is, sex does sell. And that is across cultures, including cultures where there is no product to sell (except to be chosen as a mate). That is not going to change real soon unless you take out the testosterone in men and estrogen in women. It also is a primitive goal to ensure survival of our species. Is that a current concern? Don't think so but it is hardwired into our existence and has to prevail on some level to ensure we don't become extinct (and don't think that could never happen...any world disaster can threaten it).
6) I am sure this model is amused at the firestorm she caused and believes she does not need rescuing. I believe when people jump to the cause, they are not defending that one person but defending themselves and their own vulnerabilities. It comes from years of having to defend yourself and protect yourself from these situations crossing the line. And as a woman, I can verify that if you are subject to this type of comment in person, unless it is someone you know and trust, you know to nip it in the butt (no pun intended) because if you don't your life experience has taught you that it can easily cross the line from being safe and innocent to dangerous and disrespectful.
7) Yes, but it is not just the tech world. It is across the board. See #3 & 4.
8) I think that those who put this on the radar were not glossing over the larger issue but trying to draw attention to the larger issue. I think that does get lost on people when the original issue is not so "large"... at the same time, I do think people need to look in the mirror and recognize when their spoken comments are disrespectful and/or cause a woman to feel intimidated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Last edited:

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
As a woman, I just wanted to make a few comments.

First, I am not an uber feminist. I shave my legs, don't slut-shame, and can appreciate a nicely shaped backside. She is pretty from that angle, we can all agree on that. I don't mind it when a male thinks this to himself. What I mind is when anyone makes derogatory statements (and I feel Asus's comment was derogatory) about someone else. The tweeter didn't say she was beautiful, and so is the tech, he said, essentially, she has a nice @$$, and oh by the way the computer is nice too. There's a huge difference, to me. Vulgar language, or implied vulgarity is offensive.

I'm also irritated that everyone assumes women are technologically stupid and don't care about it. I work as the only network administrator for a mid-sized company and am damn good at my job. IT is my work and my hobby. I realize it's a mostly male dominated field, but the fact that even though I am established in tech, and still get treated like I'm inferior because I have boobs is very off putting.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your thoughtful perspective, TisMyDroid. I was hoping that our female members would share some deeper insights into this interesting topic. Sometimes, in order to look in the mirror and face ourselves, it can be very useful to get the point-of-view of someone else. In many ways we can be the mirror for each other. It seems to me that the final and overall perspective on this event lies somewhere in the middle.

Yes, it wasn't a big deal, and shouldn't have gotten so out of hand in the politically correct department, but it does expose a gender bias tendency that perhaps we should all be a bit more cognizant of. It wasn't that this particular issue was horrible, or even negative at all, but it does inspire us to ask some deeper questions. For example, why were some of the Tweeters so hypersensitive to this issue to begin with? What have they experienced in their lives that created this "allergic reaction," and what needs to be changed in the world and in ourselves to make sure that it doesn't happen again?

It's interesting how one minor little issue, can expose the raw nerve of a bigger societal issue. Ah well... I doubt that we will be able to solve it in this thread, but at least if we are talking about it, then we are thinking about it. Ideas can eventually change anything.

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

First, I am not an uber feminist. I shave my legs, don't slut-shame, and can appreciate a nicely shaped backside. She is pretty from that angle, we can all agree on that. I don't mind it when a male thinks this to himself. What I mind is when anyone makes derogatory statements (and I feel Asus's comment was derogatory) about someone else. The tweeter didn't say she was beautiful, and so is the tech, he said, essentially, she has a nice @$$, and oh by the way the computer is nice too. There's a huge difference, to me. Vulgar language, or implied vulgarity is offensive.

I'm also irritated that everyone assumes women are technologically stupid and don't care about it. I work as the only network administrator for a mid-sized company and am damn good at my job. IT is my work and my hobby. I realize it's a mostly male dominated field, but the fact that even though I am established in tech, and still get treated like I'm inferior because I have boobs is very off putting.

Well said, and quite illuminating, Laur3nNewm4n! Thank you!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is assuming that women aren't tech savvy. I DO think the majority of early adopters in tech are male. That's not sexist or derogatory, that's just fact. You'll note in the picture there's about 15 men and 2 women, including the model.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

But there's quite a difference in your situation and this one. If your company tweeted "check out our hot network administrator" with a picture of you then yes there'd be a point.

However, again this model was solely hired to be eye candy. Nothing more nothing less. You know it, i know it, asus knows it and she knows it.

To go this crazy over something that everyone knows is ridiculous. Like the model was like "whaaat? They were looking at my ass? I thought they'd appreciate my mind!" when she got wind of the comment.

Much ado about nothing and a prime example of hyper sensitivity