ASUS CES Video Teaser Shows Off New Phone with Unique Camera

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
asus-tweet-dec-2014.jpg

ASUS has taken to Facebook to jump start the marketing hype of some new smartphone they plan to unveil at CES next year. The smartphone will have an unknown unique camera setup, which looks pretty intriguing. It is definitely some form of dual-camera, which has been done before, but it will be interesting to see what ASUS does with the idea.

The slogan in their post is too cryptic to really deduce much, “see what others can’t see.” It sounds like some version of X-Ray glasses, but that would obviously be a legal and PR nightmare, assuming such a mobile technology could even exist, so it obviously isn't that. What do you think ASUS has cooked up?

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Hmmm...I'm curious. I loved my N7 aside from the few quirks and I haven't really see them put much effort into a phone much less a phone camera. I'll be watching. Maybe not buying but definitely watching.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well, they did say 2morrow in the video, and the video was very attentive to texture, angles, perspective and depth of field, so 3D video/stills is where I'm thinking this is going. I'd be interested in seeing it myself. I have an old Evo 3D and although many say it was a gimmick, I took a lot of 3D pics and video when I went to Niagara Falls this past summer. They were pretty cool. I keep that phone just for the 3D camera.

Another thing I'd like to see is the LYTRO technology making it to cell phones. By capturing thousands of slightly different angles at once, it can create 3D and allow variable focus and depth of field from the finished picture or video.