Asurion Problem

Boardwalk30

Reaction score
My Droid (original) that i bought in Feb of 2010 had its screen die in late October. I recieved a replacement (payed the $89) in early November. Approximately 2 weeks after that, the power button went out. It required me to physically exert a large amount of pressure onto it in order for it to react at all. It also was noticeably depressed into the phone. I didnt call Asurion because i was pretty busy with school and work and simply didnt see that i had to, because i knew i had a 1 year warranty on the replacement phone. Well earlier this week i had an emergency appendectomy and have been lying around for the past few days. I finally feel well enough to do some stuff today, so i decided to call Asurion. After endless amounts of button pressing and holding, i finally got on the line with a representative. I stated my problem, also stating many a times that i never dropped this one or exposed it to any sort of water, and it had no visual defects (except the gold paint chipped off the camera button, which happens from being in a pocket even with a case on...) and she said she was going to check on my families plan. After 2~ minutes of waiting, she came back saying that the button problem was listed under the category of "Physical Damage" and that if i had not had it happen in the first 7 days, it was not covered, so if i wanted a replacement i would need to pay another $89 deductible. Ive looked a few times on the forums and many people filed this same problem and got a free replacement. I'm trying to figure out what to do from here. That makes no sense that a part of the phone such as the power button would be covered for 7 days, as it is literally the most used part of the phone other than the screen.

Does anybody have any idea on what i should do? Or, has anybody had this same/similar problem and had a same/similar conversation with Asurion?

phillyphill39

Reaction score
why did you call asurion the 2nd time? just call verizon tell them that your power button doesnt work properly and you cant turn the phone on or off and they should send you a replacement phone. and then state that if it is phyiscally/liquid damaged then they will charge you.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moved to General Discussion. This is not a tech issue or bug, I think you'll get better response here.

OP
B

Boardwalk30

Reaction score
why did you call asurion the 2nd time? just call verizon tell them that your power button doesnt work properly and you cant turn the phone on or off and they should send you a replacement phone. and then state that if it is phyiscally/liquid damaged then they will charge you.

I called my local verizon store and they told me that i had to file it through Asurion (i told them it was a replacement phone). Should i perhaps call back and then have them send me a replacement and have it be under Motorola's Warranty (they told me when my first phone broke that if I hadnt dropped it so many times (scratches/dents, etc.) that i could have gotten a replacement free through Motorola's warranty program, but that if I sent it in and they found it was considered to be my fault that they'd charge me the $600 un-subsidized price)?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the 1st time the phone died you should have called verizon because that would have been covered by the 12 month warranty that comes with all phones with no deductible charge.

But since you already replaced it with asurion verizon will not replace it because they did not issue the phone you currently have. In other words you screwed yourself and the only option you have is to pay the 89 dollar deductible.

keep in mind after this replacement the insurance will be dropped off the phone for 12 months. Part of Asurion's policy is if you make 2 claims within a 12 month period they will not cover you for the next 12 months.

livetoskateaz

Reaction score
i would have called motorolla personally because i broke the screen on my d1 and called assurion, they were out of d1 and wanted to send me an ally...a huge downgrade...so i said no thanks called verizon and they said all you can do is call assurion and have them send a replacement i explained the situation and they said wait it out and hopefully they can send you a droid1 well after 2 weeks they still wanted to send an lg ally i said no and i basically took it upon myself to call motorola and within ten minutes they said no problem and sent me a drand new droid1!!!
CALL MOTOROLLA!!!

OP
B

Boardwalk30

Reaction score
the 1st time the phone died you should have called verizon because that would have been covered by the 12 month warranty that comes with all phones with no deductible charge.

But since you already replaced it with asurion verizon will not replace it because they did not issue the phone you currently have. In other words you screwed yourself and the only option you have is to pay the 89 dollar deductible.

keep in mind after this replacement the insurance will be dropped off the phone for 12 months. Part of Asurion's policy is if you make 2 claims within a 12 month period they will not cover you for the next 12 months.

When my first one broke, i attempted to have it replaced through Motorola's replacement program, but the verizon rep told me that the Motorola warrant only covered software issues, and not physical damage (i.e. dropping the phone). I will follow livetoskateaz's idea of calling motorola up on this case too, and explain my situation, because it's bogus that they sent me a refurb that is starting to have problems like this, and gave it a bogus warranty of 7 days.