Astro

wlscott

Reaction score
Ok...I finally found a place to download Astro. I've got it on my laptop now. When I mount my phone, and it show's up as a drive, where do I drop Astro so it loads onto my phone?

warrior21

Reaction score
Just go to the market and download it to your phone

OP
W

wlscott

Reaction score
It's not in the market...I downloaded it to my laptop. It's saved on my desktop of my laptop. The only way I can get apps onto my phone right now is by downloading them onto my computer, and loading them to my phone from there. I can't acess the market right now cause I'm deployed to a country where I have no service...

So when I mount my phone and the box pops up for the files on my phone, where do I drop the Astro app so that it will load onto my phone?

JCo352

Reaction score
i think you will be put in a catch 22, because you would need to put an app on your sd card, and then open a file manager such as astro to find the apk, then you would click on the app and the package installer would install it on your phone. I think the solution would be to, go to the website you found the apk of astro at, on your phone and download it straight to your phone, then when it shows in your downloads, you click on it and it will install

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I have a feeling you may be SOL. As you are no doubt aware, Astro is a file manager, meaning one could download games/apps in the for of .apk's from the net, and then install them using Astro. However I'm not aware of how to install an .apk without a file manager. You'd basically need a file manager to install a file manager. Someone else might have a better idea but if you can't even hop onto wifi anywhere then you're kinda screwed in my opinion.

See? As soon as they send these poor guys out of the country, their Droids get all FUBAR'd. What a cruel government. ;)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my phone I have something called appsinstaller that will install .apk files. I just checked it's available in the market.

It's a bit of a mystery however how come you don't see Astro. I would try a 30 second battery pull and then see if you can't see it in the Market.

JCo352

Reaction score
On my phone I have something called appsinstaller that will install .apk files. I just checked it's available in the market.

It's a bit of a mystery however how come you don't see Astro. I would try a 30 second battery pull and then see if you can't see it in the Market.

He cant use the market, he's deployed overseas and has no service.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

He cant use the market, he's deployed overseas and has no service.

Well, that does suck. How can he download an .apk file and have nothing to open it with?

pyro6128

Reaction score
As an absolute last resort (if you can't find anything easier), you could root your phone, and install a rom (or have someone make a very simple rom with nothing extra) that has astro installed on it already. Then you would have your file manager and could install any other apks you want.

OP
W

wlscott

Reaction score
Yeah, I ordered this phone while I was over here. I had it sent to me thinking I could download apps to it, and play around with it till I got home. Then I'd have it all squared away by the time I headed back to the world. All the iPhone users out here just say they download apps from iTunes to their laptops, then from their laptops to their phones and it works fine. There doesn't seem to be anything like that for the droid on the net. So...I thought if I downloaded a file manager like Astro, I'd be golden. But...nope. So far my phone is a sophisticated iPod that I can watch movies on.

And it's going to be a while before I get back to the States.

If anyone has any other ideas on how I can go about getting apps on my phone....I'm all ears.

Thanks.

pyro6128

Reaction score
go into the hacks section and tell them this. Someone there will probably be able to help you. You may be able to install things onto the phone through adb shell on your comp. If not, mention the rom solution that I posted above, I'm sure someone will be able to get something together for you quick that won't change your phone at all, except it will be rooted and have astro already installed on it. Then you'll be able to do everything you want. I run the ultimate droid 7.8 rom and that came with astro preloaded in it. Hope that helps