ASPHALT 5 for the DROID!!!!

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just sent a personal message to the Gameloft tech support over at their forums asking about this other version.

I will post a response here when I get one from Gameloft.

Remember anyone interested in getting this game to work should make some noise over at Gameloft's forum so they know it's not working and people are anxiously waiting aka take some resources off of iPhone app development and fix this game for android users!!

good luck. they are good in ignoring people. but let me know if you got a new version. they also should send me one too ! btw would be nice if we can change our discussion more back to the game and talking less about sd cards. i cant really imagine that the game will install on a faster one. all games available doesnt matter how huge they are dont need a class 6 card.

and really : buying a new sd card just for one game isnt really worth it. you shouldnt support gameloft´s arrogance and lazyness.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I doubt a faster SD card would make a difference. The ONE time I got the game to run, it loaded very quickly. I should reinstall it, and take a look at the logcat to see what's going on when it crashes.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
No response yet from Gameloft :( I don't think the moderator for tech support has been on at all this week.

Dave12308 you were actually able to get this game to work? Did you buy it from the app store or the Gameloft WAP store? You said it only worked the one time :(

Question: Does anyone know how to clear your phones cache? I mean when the game is installing an unzipping to install it must store these temporarily files somewhere? How would I remove them?

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i think he uses the market version cause like he said it installs to sd card and the wap version dont. i wrote gameloft also. and if they dont reply soon maybe i write up a little article about them.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yep. I am referring to the market version. When I say I got it to run ONCE, I mean I completely restored my phone to non-rooted 2.0.1 status via the SBF file; and when I installed Asphalt 5, it was the ONLY non-stock app on the phone. It launched once and I was able to play it (awesome, I might add) - After exiting from the app, I never could get it to run again. So I got my phone back to the way it was, and now Gameloft has sent me the WAP version. I am going to try it, but the download was around 40MB so I don't even know if it will install, going by the errors others are getting with this version.

I don't understand how Polarbit is perfectly capable of making an advanced 3D racer that works FINE and stores it's data on the SD card (Raging Thunder 2) yet Gameloft, who has been in this business for years, cannot get it right. I remember having this exact issue with one of their iPod Touch games, as well (cannot remember which one, I think it was the Ferrari game). They fixed that one, it seems that they won't even admit there IS a problem with Asphalt 5 on Android.

EDIT: I AM able to run the version they sent me via WAP. I couldn't install it via the phone itself, though, I had to use ADB to install it from my PC (adb install gameloft.apk /system/app)

It runs great, but uses over 50MB of my phone's memory. [sarcasm]Oh well, I wasn't doing anything with that memory anyways.[/sarcasm]

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
**Mod Edit**DF Does not allow/support/endorse any info exchange on paid apps being offered free.

I can't do that, it's a paid app so I cannot share it without violating the policies of the forum (AND the law)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
CONGRATS DAVE!!!!

Please tell me how you used your PC to install it!!! Point me to a link or something that can show me how.

Thanks in advance.

And to the newbee I already paid Gameloft, and you should to of you want this game!

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
no one SHOULD pay for this game NOW till it works CORRECTLY. i dont really like paying for unfinished beta version. so people please DONT BUY IT NOW ! dont support gameloft´s lazyness ! we will tell you if they fix the problem, and THEN you can buy it ! greets.

btw : i also want to know how this adb thingy works. i have heard about it but i dont really know how to use. please explain us.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok i tried with the ADB procedure. no luck either. it everytime told me insufficienct memory. (had 89 megs free)

@gertman just download the SDK Android SDK | Android Developers

then extract it to a folder C:\AndroidSDK.
after that set up the usb debug option in your app manager system settings on the phone.
connect the phone to the pc.
now type in CMD in windows, put the gameloft.apk into the directory "tools" in the AndroidSDK folder and type in :

cd AndroidSDK\tools and then
adb install gameloft.apk

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
MustangGT500,

Try it again with 150mb free. That is how much Gameloft said you needed during the install.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
gameloft said 150 yes. but dave needs just 50 megs or did i read something wrong ?

EDIT: I AM able to run the version they sent me via WAP. I couldn't install it via the phone itself, though, I had to use ADB to install it from my PC (adb install gameloft.apk /system/app)

It runs great, but uses over 50MB of my phone's memory. [sarcasm]Oh well, I wasn't doing anything with that memory anyways.[/sarcasm]

btw : i have a moto milestone. i can only free up 154 megs (i have no root yet). and so its not really possible to install 150 megs on the phone memory right now.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
I believe it needs 150mb to unzip while it installs. Once complete final size on the phone is 50mb. At least that is how I read it.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
Rabbi57 please expand, what are talking about?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
gameloft said 150 yes. but dave needs just 50 megs or did i read something wrong?

The game (WAP link version) takes up ~50MB once it is installed. I had ~115MB free when I installed it through ADB. I suspect that the phone would need to have around 100MB free in order to install (to store temporary files WHILE installing). I don't know exactly what the absolute minimum would be, as I just happened to have 115MB at the time and tried the adb install method out of desperation. It took about 5 minutes, but ultimately worked. Believe me, I was waiting for an error to occur.

BTW, I am NOT defending Gameloft here (for the record, NO game should have to be installed via ADB, as a matter of fact i'm not even sure if it would have worked had I not been rooted) - but for those anxious to play the game, i'm just outlining the steps that I had to take. If you purchased the version from the market, contact gameloft support and they will offer to send you a WAP link. I hope others have the same success as I did, as the game really IS worth the effort to get it working.