ASPHALT 5 for the DROID!!!!

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
yes its pretty much. but if they would save it to sd card it wouldn´t matter.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
OK I have been reading the thread all day but did not have time to respond until now.
--------------
Rabbi57: WOW that is great!!! You are the first person I have heard from besides Gamesoft themselves that has gotten Asphalt 5 to work on the Droid. Congratulations!!!
First question for you is: Do you have any other apps on your phone? Last time I tried to install the game I had somewhere close to 190mb free but it still did not work for me. :(
Second question: Do you need the 160mb free to just install the game or to also play it?
----------------
Mustang GT 500: Please tell me is Rabbi57 correct in that the Milestone has less on board RAM? This is the first of have heard of any difference between the Milestone and the Droid?
-----------------

Next I have some more general questions, excuse my ignorance:

When I go into options and look at the memory usage of my phone's internal memory this is the portion of the 256mb I am using for apps. correct?

Then what is the mb free when I use Advanced Task Killer? It's actually labeled Available Memory

So I think you know where I am going with this; do I need Advanced Task Killer to say I have at least 160mb free to install/ run Asphalt 5?

Last edited:
OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
Thought my post was running a bit long. Here is todays update from Gamesoft:

1. The Gamesoft testing team was able to duplicate the memory error we are all getting (except Rabbi57). I think this is a huge step forward :icon_ banana:

2. 'It seems there are some Android installer limitations.'

3. Gamesoft says that a user needs at least 150mb free to install (and play?) and realizes that this is an issue that needs to be fixed!!!

Now, per Mustang GT 500's advice I did tell them about Polarbit and how Raging Thunder 2 is mostly installed on the SD card is this is what prompted response number 3.

I am VERY hopeful that Gamesoft will fix this glutinous memory requirement considering Gamesoft has finally recognized it as an issue. It is just not practical to use 150mb of our very limited 256mb for one app.

Last edited:

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah but its really strange that gameloft dont answer ME
huh.gif
. i have many good contacts with important developers but gameloft is the first that dont reply me. not very nice
grin.gif
ok gameloft if you read that :

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
MustangGT500 do you know the answer to any of my questions from the above posts.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
1.) RAM is not the same like ROM. ram size is the same on droid / milestone 256 megs. ROM (app storage) is on both the same too 197 megs free, but on milestone are just 154 of them free cause of not erasable (without root) third party apps like motonav.

2.) in the task killer you see free RAM like the RAM from your pc. not the ROM (app storage).

3.) he needs just to install 160 mb free to install. cause you cant have 160 mb free AFTER install cause that would mean he haves 320 megs of total user space which we dont have.

3.) yes in options / memory usage you see how much free of the rom is. but its not 256 its 197 megs whats just free sadly. linda manager for example shows you the total rom u can use. dont know if on droid is more then 197 of total usuable rom.

for the low space prob :
like i said they should just let the main app install to phone memory and the user should download the other data over the internet to the sd card. yesterday our news team had a interview chat with hyperdevbox - the exzeus makers. and carlo from hdb told me, that it is really easy to implement the feature of saving additional data to sd card.

Last edited:
OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
So it sounds like if I want to play this game I need to root my Droid or wait until Gamesoft puts the data on the SD card. Is it simple to move apps to the SD card after after rooting?

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
I clean off a bunch of apps just to try to re-install. I have 192mb free and still no luck. :( The first time I tried I had around 185meg free and it seemed to try for a few seconds to install. Then after I deleted some more apps the error message just pops up right away.

I am using Astro Manager to try and install. Does any know how to clear out this temp memory? I have used the task killer and rebooted but it still will not "try".

Mustang GT 500 did you try to free up the required memory and see if you could get it to install?

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like if I want to play this game I need to root my Droid or wait until Gamesoft puts the data on the SD card. Is it simple to move apps to the SD card after after rooting?

The version on the marketplace DOES put the majority (~100MB) of its data on the sdcard. However, going by my own experience and the comments on the download page; NO ONE has gotten it to work. It just kicks back to the desktop after the loading progress bar gets to 100%

I got it to run ONCE on a clean 2.0.1 install with nothing else installed - but only once. I wonder if their implementation of storing the data on the sdcard is borked, and the data files get corrupted. Whatever the cause, they NEED to fix it because almost no one can get this game to run reliably.

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gertman and i maybe got a older version cause our asphalt 5 is around 50 megs and needed around 160 phone memory to install. No sd card using in this version.

jimmiem

Reaction score
This was in the market a few days ago. I was browsing all of Gameloft's apps and it had less than 50 downloads at the time. It doesn't show up in the market for me now.

OP
G

gertman

Reaction score
Yeah I never did see it in the Marketplace. Do any of you that downloaded it from there know what version it was? Mine was version 1.0

Anyway here is the latest from Gameloft:

"Unfortunately its and Android limitation. The application is downloaded --> 50MB --> The Installer launches and decompresses the application --> it uses more than 50MB space ---> The installer moves the files to the installation path final 50MB.
So virtually it uses 150MB though it only needs ~52 MB for the installed application.
We developed a second solution: you download a shorter version like 15MB and when you launch the game it asks the user to update the application and downloads the remaining 35MB for the application to run."

They will check if this option can be uploaded to the shop, currently it works with A855 but they wanted to extend it to more handsets.

-----------
I then asked if I could get this new version sent to my phone and was told this:
-----------

"They are still developing that other solution, I missunderstood the first eMail Sorry!
They are working on this idea to hopefully implement it in the future!"

-------------

Now I ask all of you that have downloaded this game and can not get it to work PLEASE post over at the Gameloft forum!!!

Technical Support

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Gotta respect a company that will willingly accept your money, without testing if their product even works before selling it.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gertman and i maybe got a older version cause our asphalt 5 is around 50 megs and needed around 160 phone memory to install. No sd card using in this version.

I don't know, I bought mine right from the Market app on my phone, and it's version 1.0.0

The app download is ~16MB, and it downloads an additional ~100MB to the /sdcard/gameloft folder.