aRRgh SO I CANT USE MY D2G WITH ANOTHER US CARRIER?

ratsalad

Reaction score
Hi members, I just bought a Motorola Droid 2 Global. I had no intentions on using it with verizon though. My intentions with the phone was to buy it, unlock it and insert my SIMple Mobile sim into it and enjoy. I havn't recieved the phone yet in the mail but after doing a lot of reading here it seems like the phone is not capable of recieving signal from any other GSM carrier in the United States but verizon. Even if I unlock the phone will I be able to use it with the SIMple mobile service? I'm sure there is a work around to use it with other GSM carriers here in the United States. I hope I didn't buy this phone for nothing. It's one of the very few droid phones on the market with a keypad. G2 didn't seem as nice as this phone even though its 4G... any input would be appreciated! thanks!

pobrien904

Reaction score
Good luck....

But it wont work. I've tried mine with a t mobile sim card here in the us and nothing! Worked in germany.

Hope you have a return policy!

Why not just use Verizon?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
R

ratsalad

Reaction score
Good luck....

But it wont work. I've tried mine with a t mobile sim card here in the us and nothing! Worked in germany.

Hope you have a return policy!

Why not just use Verizon?

sucks. :icon_cussing: i bought it off of ebay for 300. now i gotta sell it back on ebay and take my old phone down on the sellers list. what a hassssle. I've read theres a hack... I would pay for the hack if only I knew who does it.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
The gsm band is locked down inside the US...no you cannot use it with any gsm service. There are other cdma cell providers, but they mostly lease towers off of verizon anyway.

A hack to enable local gsm sims? I dont know. But you should have done your research before purchasing :/

OP
R

ratsalad

Reaction score
The gsm band is locked down inside the US...no you cannot use it with any gsm service. There are other cdma cell providers, but they mostly lease towers off of verizon anyway.

A hack to enable local gsm sims? I dont know. But you should have done your research before purchasing :/

yeah the phone was GSM so i thought I would be able to use it with another GSM carrier here in the states. There is a unlock band hack that is available to purchase but the price is steep at $100. I think I'll just get the G2... hmph or milestone ?

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
I hear that verizon will unlock the phone for you, but you have to have their service for either 60 days or 6 months with no late payments. Maybe you can sign up with verizon but with their prepaid phones just get the cheapest one, but I'm not sure if the d2g will need a certain plan.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They won't unlock it in the us though..... and the milestone doesn't have as much customizeation as some of the other phones if your into rooting/roms etc.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah, you'll never be able to use it in the US except on Verizon. At least you can sell it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
R

ratsalad

Reaction score
thanks guys for the report. I was able to get a refund for the phone and I'm leaning towards the G2 now. It's a shame cause that droid 2 is a really nice phone. ive had a blackberry 8900 for several years now so this will be a huge upgrade lol dancedroid

silver6054

Reaction score
For those wanting to do this, search for droidbandunlock. Last I heard, team black hat was offering a fix for about $100. The hack could be wiped out by any future update, and only makes sense for AT&T (as t_mobile US 3g bands aren't supported by the phone, so you would have an expensive phone+hack running on EDGE)

wooddale

Reaction score
So then you couldnt use a D2 like say on US cell even though they use each others towers

silver6054

Reaction score
This is an old thread. In particular, the TBH hack is now offered for free.

The bandlock is specific to GSM, US Cellular is CDMA. You might be able to flash the phone to US Cellular, it would then no longer run on Verizon.

wooddale

Reaction score
Thanks its for a friend of mine I think he just wants a better phone were talking about a D2. What I dont think he realizes even if I could get the phone switched over he would have to get a data plan all he has now is phone text and mms.