Arm® Cortex™ A8 processor speeds?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by JhankG, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I know our processor is underclocked to 550 mhz and we can't overclock it currently. I was just hoping someone knew what our processor is capable of in regards to speed and what speeds would be realistic considering the increased heat and decreased battery performance that occurs when overclocking. Is anyone knowledgeable on this subject?
  2. bernal125

bernal125 New Member

Don't quote be on this but I read on a forum that a devoleper of a overclock app had said that thedroid can run safely at 1ghz
  3. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

bernal, i HIGHLY doubt that's true. keep dreaming though. 600 MHz will probably be the top out being stable.
  4. JhankG

JhankG New Member

So if 600 mhz is the top stable speed, will there be any noticeable increase in performance? I have no idea how much of a difference 50 mhz makes in a phone.

I just found this quote regarding the processor:

"According to ARM, the Cortex-A8's long pipeline will enable high clock rates—potentially exceeding 1 GHz in a 65 nm process."

Even if it is possible to get up to 1ghz, I would have to assume that it would create a lot more heat and really kill the battery. I know the Droid's processor is underclocked from 600 to 550 mhz, so I guess Motorola didn't think 50 mhz would make that much of a difference or that the decrease in performance was well worth the gain in battery performance.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  5. Elysian

Elysian New Member

The processor is the same as the Pre, and people have been running it at 600 since it was first rooted... It really shortens the life of the processor, to under 1 year, they just aren't meant to run that high... The Pre only runs at 500 stock(and 550 for a short period during boot-up). 600 was what the Pre was limited to by the OS(it could overclock right out of the box).
  6. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I didn't even think about it shortening the processor's life. Do you know if Pre owners were able to tell much of a difference by they were running at 600mhz?
  7. Quickster357

Quickster357 New Member

as Winston25, an employee of motorola who worked on the phone, said on HoFo whilst everyone was arguing about the underclocking "you will not notice a difference from 550Mhz to 600Mhz."
  8. jkayner

jkayner New Member

the pre is not running at 600. It is at 500.
  9. JhankG

JhankG New Member

We are talking about Pre owners who are overclocking it to 600mhz...
  10. Varking

Varking New Member

When we can get a nice over-clocking app in the Market, I will clock at at higher speeds and report back my results. I don't intend by any means to leave the phone clocked at those for more than 12 hours at a time, but that should be more then enough time to properly get a feel and see if there is any difference.
  11. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 New Member

Its not overclocking if you set the Processor to its original clock speed since the Pre was underclock to 500mhz. The droid, Pre, N900 and Iphone 3gs has the same processor. The Iphone and N900 are running on the original clock speed of 600mhz while the droid and Pre are underclocked.
  12. Accomodator

Accomodator New Member

Ummmm the Iphone 3gs runs at 412 mhz....... or so I read.
  13. Guchi

Guchi New Member

The ARM CortexTM-A8 processor is the first applications processor based on the ARMv7 architecture and is the highest performance, most power-efficient processor available from ARM. With the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz, the Cortex-A8 processor can meet the requirements for power-optimized mobile devices needing operation in less than 300mW; and performance-optimized consumer applications requiring 2000 Dhrystone MIPS.
  14. blu1080

blu1080 New Member

15. victorythagr8

victorythagr8 New Member

Naw that is what the iphone 3g runs on.
  16. Elysian

Elysian New Member

The difference was decently noticeable on the Pre, but mainly because the OS is so unoptimized and sluggish to begin with, so any bump will be noticeable. I don't think you'd see the same change with the Droid, it's so much faster overall, it's not even funny.
  17. Elysian

Elysian New Member

The iPhone processor is a Samsung unit, with the same ARCHITECTURE, not the same processor, and it has a better video portion. The TI OMAP3430 was made to run at a MAX of 600. The iPhone's processor is made to operate all the time at 600, heat becomes a major issue with the OMAP3430 at 600(as I found myself on my Pre, it became a portable space heater, even got warm enough to mess with the screen).
  18. rushmore

rushmore Member

Folks, the N900 has the same exact chipset and scales to 600mhz with no problems (I own one and the device goes to 600mhz playing Duke Nukem, MAME and Quake). The chipset can run at 1ghz (but unstable). The talk about Droid being unstable at 600mhz must be due to other issues and not the actual scaling to 600mhz.
  19. 640k

640k Active Member

I've read this page. I think it's safe to assume that the 650 MHz and the 1100 MHz are two DIFFERENT CPUs. If you look towards the end of the page, they're listed individually.

The processor in the DROID may max out at 650 MHz, but 650 MHz will be its max.
  20. Berzerker

Berzerker New Member

The OMAP3430 (the Droid's) runs stock at 600mhz, with the droid @ stock underclocked to 550mhz. The OMAP3440 runs stock at 800MHz, while newer models, such as OMAP4 will have speeds upwards of 1GHz and higher. It's not recommended to clock the Droid past 600mhz, even though it's not possible for now.
Search tags for this page
1ghz cortex a8 processor overclocked to
arm a8 overclock

arm cortex a8 overclock

arm cortex a8 processor clocked at 550mhz
cortex a 8 overclock
cortex a8 clock

cortex a8 overclock

how overclock processors cortex a8
how to overclock arm a8 cortex
overclock arm cortex a8

overclock cortex a8