Are you that guy/girl at work?

tfkennady

Reaction score
You know that person that always has the latest and greatest as far as tech geeks go? That person that hacks and mods every gadget he/she owns? The person that everyone comes to with computer/phone/game console questions?

Well I am and I find it to have benefit and some minor drawbacks; 1. When ever someone is getting rid of something old like a laptop or a hard drive etc., I'm the first person they ask if i want it.

2. You're the first person they come to when there's a problem with their electronics. Don't get me wrong I don't mind helping but I'm a big believer in that "give a man a fish/teach a man to fish" saying I'd go a step further and say "teach your self to fish" and you can really have some fun with your electronics and troubleshoot when you have problems.

Funny thing is I fix radios, satcom equipment, computers etc for a living and you'd be surprised how many people come to me for help with their stuff.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Yes, It's sad, but I am that Guy.....

Sad that I am the one that knows the most....I'm a Plumber :D

OP
T

tfkennady

Reaction score
Yes, It's sad, but I am that Guy.....

Sad that I am the one that knows the most....I'm a Plumber :D

lol... but as with any trade dealing with maintenance, troubleshooting theory is always the same.

eliassami5

Reaction score
yea thats me alright. I install stereo systems, fix computers, fix cars, troubleshoot a car problem, help transfer music from something to something else, advice on what car to buy, fix bicycles, etc, all for the people i work with. I hate accepting money for helping someone and i try to avoid it as much as possible but sometimes they wont take no for an answer. Feels good to help someone so i dont rly mind.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Yep... been that guy since high-school with the very first model of the Palm-Pilot.

I remember having a palm pilot. It was the size of my Droid1, had a black and white screen, and did nothing but calendar/calc stuff like that. Wow...now I'm feeling old... :D
But yeah, always been that guy. I maintain a network now, and I still have people bringing me there stuff to fix it. I'm about to doctor an HP laptop that the user says "is a paper weight". Nothing beats that satisfaction of taking something that someone thought was dead, and bringing it back to life.
Give a man a fish vs. teach a man to fish is a good analogy...
I prefer: Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night; set him on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Never was really "The Geek" but find myself "The advisor" on everything for friends and family.
Former ASE and ALFA Romeo Certified Master Tech I got out of the auto biz close to 20 years ago. I am now a licensed home remodeling contractor and work on bikes (motorcycles) and cars for friends that own shops when the home biz is slow. Boats, equipment (heavy and light) for my contractor buddies whatever I work on it all.
Friends are always asking what computer, phone, GPS, etc. to buy. My wife is a hotline manager for a software company but I am the one who sets up and maintains our computers and network at home.
Some friends I charge others I trade work with... Sure you want that backhoe fixed? No problem but when it's done I'll need to test it out on some stuff I need to do around the house!:)

Josefius

Reaction score
Yep... been that guy since high-school with the very first model of the Palm-Pilot.

I remember having a palm pilot. It was the size of my Droid1, had a black and white screen, and did nothing but calendar/calc stuff like that. Wow...now I'm feeling old... :D
But yeah, always been that guy. I maintain a network now, and I still have people bringing me there stuff to fix it. I'm about to doctor an HP laptop that the user says "is a paper weight". Nothing beats that satisfaction of taking something that someone thought was dead, and bringing it back to life.
I prefer: Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night; set him on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Yep, and I had NetHack on mine... spent hours exploring dungeons.

Edit:
Damn it, just downloaded it from the app store hehe.

Last edited:

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score

Yep, and I had NetHack on mine... spent hours exploring dungeons.

Edit:
Damn it, just downloaded it from the app store hehe.

Prepare to waste the day my friend. Jeez...even thinking back that far is giving me all kinds of nostalgia. Diablo2, how I hated you and loved you. kids these days dont know what they where missing out on.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm that guy as well.

I Work construction.... most job sites are going wireless now... so I had to teach one of my foreman his way around technology. LOL

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm that guy as well.

I Work construction.... most job sites are going wireless now... so I had to teach one of my foreman his way around technology. LOL

You have wireless in the field? HIRE ME!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm that guy as well. Just graduated college with an MIS degree, and THANKFULLY found a job away from home ;) Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping at times, but I've had several friends from high school that kind of drifted away and the only reason they call is for me to fix their computer.....:censored:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Yes, I am that guy. I just happen to be the site computer tech though. It comes with the territory. It also makes me $$$. You'd be surprised how many people will pay $50 for jailbreaking their iPhone or unlocking it. I work at a high school so students also bring them in. In may, one of the secretaries gave me an old Pentium 4 laptop that I put Ubuntu 10.04 on and sold for $200 on craigslist. Two weeks later, I got another laptop for free that I actually kept. Ubuntu 10.04 on it as well, but it runs very well for being a 5 year old AMD64 3200+ laptop with only 512MB ram.

Also fun with all the hot teachers (ya, hot teachers. Its weird as hell because I remember no such thing when I was in high school, yet there are at least 10 really hot ones at the high school I work at) come in for help with their phones.

At the same time though, I live somewhat close to my family and my wife's. My family expects free and prompt service since they raised me and are my family. My wife's family expects it too since they let me marry their daughter. I said they can have her back, but no dice I guess. :blink: