Are you still happy with your Thunderbolt?

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is still a great phone, but I played around with the One X a few days ago and realized how ancient the Thunderbolt looks and performs in comparison. While technically everything I want to do on a phone is perfectly capable on the Thunderbolt, I'm itching for a quicker, better looking, and better network speed phone. I recently installed CM 7 and while it brought new life to my TB in terms of battery life and speed, I hate that now I only get LTE speeds around 2-5Mbps and that it takes a few seconds to open apps.

I will most likely check out the GS3 at a Verizon store when they come out, and most likely buy it. Unless there is more info on the RAZR MAXX HD.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
No way am I paying $600 for a phone that will be obsolete and in a drawer by the end of two years, probably less since I haven't had the TB for two years and I'm looking at a new phone.

I guess I'd rather put the rest of the family on share everything and use their upgrades than switch to Sprint, but between this, upgrade fees, and still no 4G in my area, I dunno...

kparks

Reaction score
geoff5093 said:
The Thunderbolt is still a great phone, but I played around with the One X a few days ago and realized how ancient the Thunderbolt looks and performs in comparison. While technically everything I want to do on a phone is perfectly capable on the Thunderbolt, I'm itching for a quicker, better looking, and better network speed phone. I recently installed CM 7 and while it brought new life to my TB in terms of battery life and speed, I hate that now I only get LTE speeds around 2-5Mbps and that it takes a few seconds to open apps.

I will most likely check out the GS3 at a Verizon store when they come out, and most likely buy it. Unless there is more info on the RAZR MAXX HD.

Wait and get that quad core HTC beast that's coming later this year... my s3 will be going out the door when that comes

Last edited:

pcar1947

Reaction score
Love my bolt. When I get bored with it I flash a new rom!
My daily currently is bullyden. 2 weeks ago it was ikream.
As far as battery life my daughter has a brand new s3 on sprint
and her major complaint is ......BATTERY LIFE.

Go figure!

npro1464

Reaction score
I think getting the Thunderbolt was a mistake. Although I never experienced the reboots and have had luck with battery life by flashing roms and using the rezound battery, its way too bulky and slow no matter what rom I flash. We all deep down wish we had been smart enough and waited. I still cant believe this phone is stuck on gingerbread. No ics leaks, nothing. In fact, i dont think it will ever be updated to ics. I will not make the same mistake again. My next phone will be the next nexus and ill never have to worry about not getting the new android updated os.

armeddroid

Reaction score
npro1464 said:
I think getting the Thunderbolt was a mistake. Although I never experienced the reboots and have had luck with battery life by flashing roms and using the rezound battery, its way too bulky and slow no matter what rom I flash. We all deep down wish we had been smart enough and waited. I still cant believe this phone is stuck on gingerbread. No ics leaks, nothing. In fact, i dont think it will ever be updated to ics. I will not make the same mistake again. My next phone will be the next nexus and ill never have to worry about not getting the new android updated os.

I'm thinking the same thing. Probably get the next Nexus myself.

2001400ex

Reaction score
I'm still happy with mine. I mean, ya my wife's maxx isn't pregnant and is fast. But the pentile screen annoys me. Connectivity is a huge issue as I travel and need service, so Samsung is out. Me personally, i can wait as the tbolt does everything the new phones do. I want the new HTC if they can get a big battery in a smaller design or the razr hd if they get it with the maxx battery.

But to each thier own. Some people want a pretty blue phone. Lol

kparks

Reaction score
2001400ex said:
I'm still happy with mine. I mean, ya my wife's maxx isn't pregnant and is fast. But the pentile screen annoys me. Connectivity is a huge issue as I travel and need service, so Samsung is out. Me personally, i can wait as the tbolt does everything the new phones do. I want the new HTC if they can get a big battery in a smaller design or the razr hd if they get it with the maxx battery.

But to each thier own. Some people want a pretty blue phone. Lol

Well I got the s3 and yall arnt missing much my sis is loving my old tbolt and I miss it had way better reception! I plan on getting the next HTC flagship on vzw and selling the s3 on ebay or sumn..

johnd09

Reaction score
Well I got the s3 and yall arnt missing much my sis is loving my old tbolt and I miss it had way better reception! I plan on getting the next HTC flagship on vzw and selling the s3 on ebay or sumn..

Would give final signal judgement yet. The new modems coming greatly improve lte reception(not just bars). My S3 signal now beats my thunderbolt in signal significantly on lte and is about equal on 3G/voice. The only issue I've found is hotspot doesn't work properly while plugged in, data cycles, but I have tethered about nine hours on battery without using the phone itself and I am in a place where the phone has to be in a window and turned just right to get service.

Edited to correct auto correct.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

geoff5093

Reaction score
I agree.

I bought the GS3 the day it came out, used it for 2 days, but I actually missed the Thunderbolt. Sure the GS3 looks nice, and I do love the larger screen, but the battery life was worse than my TB with the extended battery, signal seemed a bit worse, etc. I'm waiting to the next real flagship, I'm hoping the RAZR HD has the same battery as the MAXX, if so I'll probably pick that up. I would have got the One X if it was on Verizon...

tbolted

Reaction score
I swear I've posted on this thread twice now, and they didn't show up. Oh well.

A few months ago I wanted to trade my tb in on anything, I was going to pay several hundred to dump this turd and just wanted to throw it out. I'd charge it over night, unplug it in the morning, and be lucky to make it home at night before it died. If I wanted to talk on my way home I had to plug in in the car to keep it alive.

Then in May I changed jobs and moved out of the steel and concrete "office" building I was in. My tb will easily last 2-3 days on a charge now, and when I've had to go back to my old office for a few hours I can watch the battery drain. My old boss used to have to keep his LG Revo plugged in all day in order to make it home, he left that office and has seen the same thing. Funny how much that environment makes a difference.

So now I love it, and we started getting 4G a couple weeks ago off and on, it's been on full time here at my house for the last couple days now.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Still have my tbolt as a backup phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Kittysback

Reaction score
Still have mine and basically still like it. It doesnt seem as fast as it used to be but I am keeping it for now.

jimmiem

Reaction score
I bought the SGSIII full price to keep my unlimited data, which stung because I bought my TBolt full price because I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I definitely don't want to spend $600 on a new phone annually.

But the SGSIII fixes a few issues I had with the TBolt. My biggest gripe was the proximity sensor that wouldn't ever turn off the phone when I put it to my face (yes, I've used compressed air to clean it but that only works for a few days). I still can't get used to the feature actually working on my SGSIII and have to look at the screen to make sure it's off.

ICS is a marked improvement in Android and the SGSIII hardware seems like it should keep me happy for longer than a year, especially with 2GB RAM. Since it is such a popular phone I know I'll get JB, which was never going to happen with the TBolt.

I also don't care for the way the TBolt aged. It looks thoroughly worn and very rough after just a year. I feel like the SGSIII will be easier to keep looking new. The entire back is easily replaceable, and the entire front is glass. The sides are the only area that could potentially see wear. I'm just hoping they are molded in color and not painted but time will tell.

Kittysback

Reaction score
Mine still looks great.... I designed a custom skin for it and have a case on it. And a screen protector.

One gripe I have.... When Im talking on the phone, I often somehow hit something with my face and hang up on people. How does that happen and how can I make it not happen?