Are you still happy with your Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'HTC ThunderBolt' started by geoff5093, Jun 18, 2012.

1. armeddroid

armeddroid New Member

I'm thinking the same thing. Probably get the next Nexus myself.
  2. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

I'm still happy with mine. I mean, ya my wife's maxx isn't pregnant and is fast. But the pentile screen annoys me. Connectivity is a huge issue as I travel and need service, so Samsung is out. Me personally, i can wait as the tbolt does everything the new phones do. I want the new HTC if they can get a big battery in a smaller design or the razr hd if they get it with the maxx battery.

But to each thier own. Some people want a pretty blue phone. Lol
  3. kparks

kparks Active Member

Well I got the s3 and yall arnt missing much my sis is loving my old tbolt and I miss it had way better reception! I plan on getting the next HTC flagship on vzw and selling the s3 on ebay or sumn..
  4. johnd09

johnd09 New Member

Would give final signal judgement yet. The new modems coming greatly improve lte reception(not just bars). My S3 signal now beats my thunderbolt in signal significantly on lte and is about equal on 3G/voice. The only issue I've found is hotspot doesn't work properly while plugged in, data cycles, but I have tethered about nine hours on battery without using the phone itself and I am in a place where the phone has to be in a window and turned just right to get service.

Edited to correct auto correct.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
  5. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I agree.

I bought the GS3 the day it came out, used it for 2 days, but I actually missed the Thunderbolt. Sure the GS3 looks nice, and I do love the larger screen, but the battery life was worse than my TB with the extended battery, signal seemed a bit worse, etc. I'm waiting to the next real flagship, I'm hoping the RAZR HD has the same battery as the MAXX, if so I'll probably pick that up. I would have got the One X if it was on Verizon...
  6. tbolted

tbolted Member

I swear I've posted on this thread twice now, and they didn't show up. Oh well.

A few months ago I wanted to trade my tb in on anything, I was going to pay several hundred to dump this turd and just wanted to throw it out. I'd charge it over night, unplug it in the morning, and be lucky to make it home at night before it died. If I wanted to talk on my way home I had to plug in in the car to keep it alive.

Then in May I changed jobs and moved out of the steel and concrete "office" building I was in. My tb will easily last 2-3 days on a charge now, and when I've had to go back to my old office for a few hours I can watch the battery drain. My old boss used to have to keep his LG Revo plugged in all day in order to make it home, he left that office and has seen the same thing. Funny how much that environment makes a difference.

So now I love it, and we started getting 4G a couple weeks ago off and on, it's been on full time here at my house for the last couple days now.
  7. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Still have my tbolt as a backup phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Kittysback

Kittysback New Member

Still have mine and basically still like it. It doesnt seem as fast as it used to be but I am keeping it for now.
  9. jimmiem

jimmiem New Member

I bought the SGSIII full price to keep my unlimited data, which stung because I bought my TBolt full price because I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. I definitely don't want to spend $600 on a new phone annually.

But the SGSIII fixes a few issues I had with the TBolt. My biggest gripe was the proximity sensor that wouldn't ever turn off the phone when I put it to my face (yes, I've used compressed air to clean it but that only works for a few days). I still can't get used to the feature actually working on my SGSIII and have to look at the screen to make sure it's off.

ICS is a marked improvement in Android and the SGSIII hardware seems like it should keep me happy for longer than a year, especially with 2GB RAM. Since it is such a popular phone I know I'll get JB, which was never going to happen with the TBolt.

I also don't care for the way the TBolt aged. It looks thoroughly worn and very rough after just a year. I feel like the SGSIII will be easier to keep looking new. The entire back is easily replaceable, and the entire front is glass. The sides are the only area that could potentially see wear. I'm just hoping they are molded in color and not painted but time will tell.
  10. Kittysback

Kittysback New Member

Mine still looks great.... I designed a custom skin for it and have a case on it. And a screen protector.

One gripe I have.... When Im talking on the phone, I often somehow hit something with my face and hang up on people. How does that happen and how can I make it not happen?
  11. jimmiem

jimmiem New Member

Compressed air to the earpiece area of the phone will fix your proximity sensor... For a little while anyway.
  12. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Lmao I have that same exact problem! I always thought it was the goofy roms I flash on my phone. Oh well, I got in the habit on hitting the lock screen button to make sure the displays off while I'm on the phone.

Yeah the phone does what i need it to. I just wish to god we could get ICS already. I'm tired of sense and cm7 roms. The only stupid phone that can't be updated cause of tthe radios. It really pisses me off. This will be the last phone i worry aboyt this crap with. Only 10 more months then here I come prepaid Nexus!!
  13. UNC

UNC New Member

The TB sucks.

My battery life has been crappy since i got it, the phone is heavy, the screen is not scratch resistant at all... Needless to say, I will not be buying HTC again. I'm actually leaning towards iPhone 5 unless the Razr HS comes thru.
  14. HTC1

HTC1 New Member

I have an s3 which I am talking back cuz I got a brand new thunderbolt handed to me

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Droid Forums
  15. kparks

kparks Active Member

Well the tb screen is gorilla glass.. and I've personally did the key test on mine and no scratches I still used a screen protector tho... ur talking about a phone that's over 1 year old and that was on par for what was released at the time and it was the 1st lte phone and that caused the battery to be pretty bad and the tech was not there to make extremely thin phones yet and to put a bigger battery would of made the bolt huge but everything has came a long way processors being #1 and if your not having any hardware problems I don't see why u should not consider htc again.. That htc coming for vzw this fall/winter will blow everything away.. and the razr hd is already outdated in my opinion they could of released that phone last year the tech was there aside from the processor... if u can Wait I would at least play with it at the store
  16. sincitygrrrl1

sincitygrrrl1 New Member

I've been pretty happy with my TB until recently. For some unknown reason at random times people can't hear me on a call, so as we are saying hello hello hello, I have to switch to speaker phone quick before they hang up. After the call, I reboot it & it seems to be ok for awhile. But I never know when it's going to happen. I left a voice mail for my boss but all he heard was dead air. When I didn't show up for work for 2 days he figured I was calling in sick.

My screen was perfect for a year, then little scratches started showing. I don't use a screen protector, never needed one on my OG Droid. I keep my phone in a holster, but that is what seems to have scratched it in the same place over and over before I noticed it.

But all in all, it's been a good phone. I never had all the problems that some people had with the rebooting and yeah the battery life could have been better but I got the dock so when at my desk at work I pop it in the dock so I didn't get upset as some people did.

Contract up in November & I'll see if anything out there "grabs" be but if not I'll stick with the TB until I find something that I just have to have.
  17. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Sounds like your proximity sensor is out and you are hitting the mute button.
  18. katatonic

katatonic New Member

I couldn't hate my thunderbolt more. Nothing but problems from day one. Although I am kind of glad my upgrade isn't until November, because I am holding my breath that the galaxy note 2 comes to Verizon. I know one things for sure. I will never buy another HTC handset.
  19. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Besides the battery issue, which can be fixed, and the proximity sensor, what else is wrong with the phone? It was by far the first to be stable with 4g. The only software issue was the reboots that lasted for about a month. For being cutting edge, I think the phone is good. And mine is up in November too, can't wait for the razor hd or the new HTC . I personally won't go to Samsung until the get the ratios figured out. Connectivity is a big deal to me.
  20. kevins686

kevins686 New Member

After riding trains all last week for work and having the phone die before I got back (there are no cigarette lighter outlets on a locomotive), I finally talked Verizon into letting me take an early upgrade. So two days ago, I got a Razr Maxx. Unplugged it yesterday at 8am, finally plugged it in again at about 3am this morning, with 50% still showing on the meter. The only kicker is, I gave up my unlimited data and moved to a 4GB/month allowance for about what I was paying before. BUT, since I was never exceeding 2GB/month, I don't think this is going to be much of a sacrifice.

Aside from the horrid battery life, the Thunderbolt was actually a pretty nice phone. I never had much of a problem with the random reboots that so many people seem to have, and I really liked the UI. But no matter what tweaks I made, or how conservatively I used the phone, I was never able to eke out more than maybe 6 hours before I was in the yellow - and that was with the 1620mA Rezound battery. To me, there is no excuse for releasing a phone that can't get you through at least most of the day on a single charge, with moderate use.