Are you kidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faganm24

Reaction score
I feel this might be appropriate, at least to add some humor to the thread... ;)

‪Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy‬‏ - YouTube

This was Great!!!:rofl3:

I agree. I've seen that before and it fits perfectly. Personally my OG is dragging and I can't wait to renew when by 20 months hits on September 9th. It's kind of funny because when I saw the Bionic at CES I said "It'll be out for a while before, but this might be my next phone". Now it may not be released by the time I can renew. Wow.:icon_eek:

spillner

Reaction score
This phone has better specs than my D3 and I that phone rocks. What were you guys expecting, a 1.5 quad core cpu with 2 gig of ram, 32 gig of internal storage with sd a card slot, 5G lte, holigraphic display, the ability to grant you 3 wishes and a endless supply of chocolate chip cookies? Its a phone and its gonna run amazing (hopefully).

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Agreed.

lol this was great jntdroid. Loved when the internet went out on the plane and the guy beside him said "this is bullsh**" I could completely see someone saying that.

As for being disappointed with the Bionic, I guess it's most likely that they said this, not us, they said they were delaying the Bionic to improve the device and so far from what we know is they didn't improve the device. I think that's what bothers most people. If you say you're going to improve the device, put a new screen in, put a new camera in, put your newest processor in, then you can delay it for 4-5 months and people will be more than willing and even be excited. But I can't be excited for a phone with specs from 7 months ago, just can't do it.

This is not completely true. The phone received an upgrade to include webtop (not necessarily an upgrade for most people), which upgraded RAM to 1GB (Doubled the Ram). Camera upgraded to 1080p (Again, not necessarily a feature many people will utilize because it is still miles away from a camcorder). The processor was upgraded to TI OMAP (The whole reason for the change, because of problems with Tegra 2, I know rumor). This happens to be the newest processor available as far as I can tell. I can't think of anything else that was upgraded besides the entire form factor (Etna to Targa).

You have to remember that this is literally a completely different phone. They killed the Etna and tried to bump up the Targa and just transferred the name. I wonder if the Etna had come out earlier and now the Targa was coming out if it would be bashed as much as the Bionic is right now. It would only be a minor upgrade from the Etna.

And to add to this....Moto making their own LTE chip. They must have felt it was an improvement worth delaying the phone for. That and switching to OMAP 4 might have been the biggest causes for delays.

Most folks dont know that HTC used a cpu in the EVO 4G that IMO was outdated. I feel they coulda went with a 45nm one instead of the 65nm one. That nm number gets smaller and it helps with battery life. You would think a 4.3" phone using 4G would have the components to better help with battery life. They also still use smallish batteries....1200 mAh and whatnot...

No hate for HTC tho...

But.....Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy....thanks jntdroid...lol

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Currently eligible for an "Upgrade" (using a DroidX2) this news certainly made the decision an easy one.
I was on the fence as to whether to use the upgrade on the Bionic and see what came out 2 years from now.
The DroidX2 received its GB update yesterday so..... we shall see what the next 6 months or so brings down the pike.
As for those who have patiently waited and are upgrading from a phone of 20-24 months of age - I think the Bionic will be a very nice improvement.
The technology cycle has grown very short, no matter what every 6 months is going to represent a significant change if one was to wait for the right moment to jump on the "Best" offering, they would never jump.
It's a phone, not a pacemaker.

EFGantry

Reaction score
To spend the kind of $ they are going to demand for the bionic and be locked into another 2 year contract, some of us just want something a little more than the best bits (questionable) from the last 6 months thrown together in one package.

dancedroid

Something more? Such as?

such as...the Prime, which is coming within just weeks of the Bionic - faster processor, better screen, unlocked bootloader, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Renae

Reaction score
This phone has better specs than my D3 and I that phone rocks. What were you guys expecting, a 1.5 quad core cpu with 2 gig of ram, 32 gig of internal storage with sd a card slot, 5G lte, holigraphic display, the ability to grant you 3 wishes and a endless supply of chocolate chip cookies? Its a phone and its gonna run amazing (hopefully).

I was hoping for that actually, I would really like it to have an easy bake oven.

How many of you are hardware engineers? Do you have any idea how long it takes to design something, prototype it, get software engineers to do work, and finalize a product. Unless motorola operates at warp speed, I really don't think they would have been able to do the types of "upgrades" half of you are apparently expecting. You don't just throw another processor in the phone case and magically have it work.....not only that but if it has a different number of pins/balls that means you have a lot of other redesign to do. Some things are easier, like small firmware bugs and increased ram, but major hardware upgrades wouldn't be quick. Its easy to say motorola didn't do enough, but until you are designing hardware you really don't understand.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^Agree 100%. How many of us ever designed a phone...lol

To spend the kind of $ they are going to demand for the bionic and be locked into another 2 year contract, some of us just want something a little more than the best bits (questionable) from the last 6 months thrown together in one package.

dancedroid

Something more? Such as?

such as...the Prime, which is coming within just weeks of the Bionic - faster processor, better screen, unlocked bootloader, etc, etc.

Do we have definite word that its coming that soon?

In response to the quote:

Best bits (questionable) from the last 6 months thrown together? How many other phones have that much ram? How many devices is using the 4430?

If thats the case, by the time the GS2 hits the US it should have a better screen, clocked higher, more Ram, etc...bet you wont hear folks saying the GS2 is outdated...underwhelming...

How many phones will have that Moto designed LTE chip?

I honestly dont get the outdated, underwhelmed comments...ask folks with a Droid 3 does their phone feel outdated....do they feel underwhelmed..

And someone mentioned a few pages back the screen and camera being 2 of the most important things in a phone....reading that I shouldnt have even posted in this thread...Only time I use my camera is when someone asks me to use it. Screen is a grey area. The Pentile from last year didnt bother many folks.

Last edited:

EFGantry

Reaction score
Something more? Such as?

Best bits (questionable) from the last 6 months thrown together? How many other phones have that much ram? How many devices is using the 4430?

If thats the case, by the time the GS2 hits the US it should have a better screen, clocked higher, more Ram, etc...bet you wont hear folks saying the GS2 is outdated...

I honestly dont get the outdated, underwhelmed comments...ask folks with a Droid 3 does their phone feel outdated....do they feel underwhelmed..

for me (and i think others), the underwhelmed feeling comes not so much from the specs by themselves, but the fact that Moto has been promising a "superphone", and not just incremental upgrades to already existing smartphones. yet, in my view, that's just what we're getting. if Moto had just said that it was going to being upgrading its dual core phone, and adding LTE, most of us wouldn't be so disappointed. but that's not what they did. Moto was the one who raised expectations and arguably didn't deliver.

i still think the Bionic will be a great device. as i've said in other threads, i'm a huge Moto fan and i hope the Bionic does very well, for Moto's sake. but, personally, i think Moto has been short-sighted, and has fallen short of what "could have been". like others, i'm not willing to plunk down 300 bones to be locked in for 2 years, when better phones are just weeks (not months and months) away.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they raised expectations, had a hype machine going with the Atrix, not so much the Bionic. The hype, expectation to me was generated by us, the folks in the forums.

I remember alot more ppl being underwhelmed when the Atrix specs leaked and then the Bionic from CES leaked. The Bionic was almost an after thought when the Atrix launched.

Then Moto said due to feedback from folks they were going to make enhancements. I dont take that as "YOU WONT BELIEVE IT WHEN YOU FEAST YOUR EYES UPON THE AMAZING.....INCREDIBLE.............BIONIC!!!!"

The hype was generated by us IMO.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

If thats the case, by the time the GS2 hits the US it should have a better screen, clocked higher, more Ram, etc...bet you wont hear folks saying the GS2 is outdated...

for me (and i think others), the underwhelmed feeling comes not so much from the specs by themselves, but the fact that Moto has been promising a "superphone", and not just incremental upgrades to already existing smartphones. yet, in my view, that's just what we're getting. if Moto had just said that it was going to being upgrading its dual core phone, and adding LTE, most of us wouldn't be so disappointed. but that's not what they did. Moto was the one who raised expectations and arguably didn't deliver.

i still think the Bionic will be a great device. as i've said in other threads, i'm a huge Moto fan and i hope the Bionic does very well, for Moto's sake. but, personally, i think Moto has been short-sighted, and has fallen short of what "could have been". like others, i'm not willing to plunk down 300 bones to be locked in for 2 years, when better phones are just weeks (not months and months) away.

I think the problem is the Leaks of specs and photos that turn out not to be true. That get people hyped up then when the real specs and info comes people are underwhelmed.

This is how I feel about the Specs from MotoDev. I think that part of the specs are accurate but not fully accurate.. That could be why it was pulled from the MotoDev site.

EFGantry

Reaction score
well, i disagree with you to an extent. certainly, us around here, and all the rumors, have created a lot of hype. but for me, it all goes back to Jha's announcement over a year ago that Moto was bringing a "superphone" to mkt before the end of 2010. not to resort to playground mentality, but Jha started it.

Motorola Developing 2-Gigahertz Android 'Superphone' - Mobiledia

and, just for giggles, i searched "motorola superphone", and one of the tags is a link directly to Moto's website for the Photon. so, imo, Moto has to take some responsibility for the hype machine that's been created, and whether or not they're living up to their own hype.

Android Smartphone - Motorola PHOTON 4G Superphone - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA - Experience - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

das2042

Reaction score
Preach I hope you're right. I too have my realistic expectations on this phone, but honestly I feel moto needs to wow us with something. I mean at the very least overclock the damn thing a little bit.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
well, i disagree with you to an extent. certainly, us around here, and all the rumors, have created a lot of hype. but for me, it all goes back to Jha's announcement over a year ago that Moto was bringing a "superphone" to mkt before the end of 2010. not to resort to playground mentality, but Jha started it.

Motorola Developing 2-Gigahertz Android 'Superphone' - Mobiledia

and, just for giggles, i searched "motorola superphone", and one of the tags is a link directly to Moto's website for the Photon. so, imo, Moto has to take some responsibility for the hype machine that's been created, and whether or not they're living up to their own hype.

Android Smartphone - Motorola PHOTON 4G Superphone - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA - Experience - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
Ya what the hell where is my 2ghz phone.....these guys are really messing up

Status
Not open for further replies.