Are you happy?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
where can I get the google voice app ? and how are you tethering to your phone?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mobius999

Reaction score
I'm more than happy. Ecstatic might be a better word. This is my 7th tablet (5 android, 2 apple) and the best of the bunch by far. I haven't even rooted or started to mess with it yet. Out of the box my wifi is running better than the previous 6.

Mirodd

Reaction score
I want to like the device, but I have encountered two things that have led to nothing but utter frustration:
1. No native HTTP proxy support (and I seriously need it for work).
2. Force close issues a plenty.

I can deal with #2, because it's not frequent enough to be annoying, but #1 is non-negotiable. I might have to return the device tomorrow.

Last edited:

kennyc

Reaction score
I want to like the device, but I have encountered two things that have led to nothing but utter frustration:

I can deal with #2, because it's not frequent enough to be annoying, but #1 is non-negotiable. I might have to return the device tomorrow.

What? You don't even have it listed on your devices. Do you have one?

What do you need HTTP Proxy for?

It doesn't have Cisco Anywhere support yet, and I could use that, but rarely if ever have a need for proxy support.

Mirodd

Reaction score

What? You don't even have it listed on your devices. Do you have one?

What do you need HTTP Proxy for?

It doesn't have Cisco Anywhere support yet, and I could use that, but rarely if ever have a need for proxy support.
I don't have it listed, you're right. I haven't updated my profile, because I am probably going to return the device. That said, I bought the device yesterday at Best Buy. As to why I need HTTP proxy support, well, let me quote someone else:

"When attempting to use the Xoom in an intranet scenario at an enterprise, or a college/university, there is no way to configure a HTTP web proxy to allow you to gain access to the internet."

Why do I need an HTTP proxy?

When on an isolated network such as at work or at school, you do not have a direct connection to the internet for security reasons. You connect to an intermediate device for HTTP access which then proxies your connection to the internet. Without the ability to specify a proxy, you have no way to connect to the public internet while on the internal secured network. Unless you have the 3G/4G (LTE when updated) plan, you're only access to the internet would be by specifying a proxy server to use.

I work at a school and I need HTTP proxy support. Android doesn't natively support it, even though Google has known about the issue since 2008. Some Android devices have it, such as the Samsung Galaxy S, but that's a Samsung customization.

To make matters worse, I owned an iPad 2, which has native HTTP proxy support; so does the iPhone. I returned the iPad because I felt limited and boxed in. I'm an Android user and the level of customization and freedom that exists on Android compared to iOS made it difficult for me to tolerate the iPad for too long. It does have a very polished, refined, simplified, and complete OS, but then you're also very limited in what you can do and how you can do it. I don't want that. I want the freedom and customization that is Android, but if I cannot get native HTTP proxy support to use the device at work, the device becomes useless to me. I want to keep it, I want to like it, but as I mentioned earlier, that issue is non-negotiable.

Last edited:

kennyc

Reaction score
Last edited:

Mirodd

Reaction score

"When attempting to use the Xoom in an intranet scenario at an enterprise, or a college/university, there is no way to configure a HTTP web proxy to allow you to gain access to the internet."

All you really had to say was you were behind a firewall and need proxy ability to get out. Thanks.

And none of these work:

http proxy for android - Google Search
I didn't know how well you understood the process, so I explained it. I wasn't trying to be pompous. Sorry if it came off that way. I will give those suggestions you linked a try (tomorrow). Hopefully one of them works, because I really want to like and keep the device, but along with two IT guys, at my job, I spent several hours with no success and left with pure frustration. We downloaded a few proxy apps, but none work, no matter what settings we tried. I'll give it one more go tomorrow, but I'm a bit discouraged at the moment. And besides, I'm not at work to test it out.

Last edited:

kennyc

Reaction score

All you really had to say was you were behind a firewall and need proxy ability to get out. Thanks.

And none of these work:

http proxy for android - Google Search
I didn't know how well you understood the process, so I explained it. I wasn't trying to be pompous. Sorry if it came off that way. I will give those suggestions you linked a try (tomorrow). Hopefully one of them works, because I really want to like and keep the device, but along with two IT guys, at my job, I spent several hours with no success and left with pure frustration. We downloaded a few proxy apps, but none work, no matter what settings we tried. I'll give it one more go tomorrow, but I'm a bit discouraged at the moment. And besides, I'm not at work to test it out.

Good luck.

I hope they get a Cisco Client soon. :(

kennyc

Reaction score
BTW I hate that Honeycomb animation when it powers up!

pmcgov87

Reaction score
Sloppy - what app do you use to remote into your laptop and have you found any limitations? I got my xoom with the hopes I could leave my laptop at home and need to find a good solution for connecting to hit while on the road (which is all the time).

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums