Are you happy with your DROID 4?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid 4' started by Kas84, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Kas84

Kas84 New Member

I love this phone so far. My only complaint about it is the battery life. I wish they put a monster battery in this thing like they did with the RAZR MAXX. Who cares that it would make the phone bigger? It would have been totally worth it to me to suck up a bigger, heavier form factor for excellent battery life. Wouldn't you agree? In this respect, I really think Motorola dropped the ball here. What are your thoughts? Does anyone feel the same way as I do? Do you have anything else that you don't like about this phone?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums
  2. chefboyardee

chefboyardee New Member

Agreed about the battery. We're getting slider phones, we obviously don't care about thinness (I don't understand that trend anyway, no phone that's been put out in the past two years made me say OMGWTFBBQ this phone is so thick I can't use it!). Hopefully someone will come out with an extended battery like they have for other non-removable devices. There's already a great "teardown" thread on one of the forums with pictures of how easy it is to remove it (I don't recommend it until it's been tested as the person who did that had issues with battery life reporting 5% after pulling the battery). So, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility. In the meantime Smart Actions helps a lot, and I purchased a few external battery packs (like the one on Woot this morning) for emergency travel use. But I do miss having extra fully-charged batteries in my pocket like I did with the D1.

Other than a few layout issues with the keyboard (location of Caps vs Shift, @ being a shift-required key) I love this phone. I miss my OG Droid but it was time for it to retire and this was a wonderful, wonderful upgrade.
  3. r314bd

r314bd New Member

I am happy with it. I upgraded from a D1 and I loved my D1 with a few exceptions - the keyboard was difficult to use, the camera was lousy and not HD, there was no 4G, the bottom lip and gold buttons were unattractive, and lags/force closes were getting to be a pretty big problem.

The D4 has taken care of all of that.
    Have you rooted? If you root your phone, install Titanium Backup, and freeze unused bloatware, you can significantly reduce the amount of background processes and consequently improve battery life. I did this and easily can get a full day of moderate use.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. chefboyardee

chefboyardee New Member

Seconded! Started doing this two days ago and noticed a significant improvement in battery life. There's a huge list in this thread
  5. ezeddiekun

ezeddiekun New Member

Love my Droid 4 here as well. And like everyone else the battery life is a let down, but I'm exchanging mine soon to get better battery life. I actually dislike slimmer phones since they feel so delicate and easy to break. The Droid 4 dimensions are near perfect in my opinion for a slider, any slimmer is bad!

6. kwyrt

kwyrt New Member

Loving my Droid 4. Came from a D2 and the D4 is an improvement in every way. Only thing I miss is Cyanogen. But it will get here eventually. It is a shame they skimped a little on the screen. It is not BAD, but it could be better. And a little bigger. Seems like quite a bit of unused real estate around the edge of the screen. I have not had a problem with battery life although I wouldn't consider myself a heavy user. Development looks like it is humming right along with root already achieved and plenty of interest from devs. I have no regrets.
  7. debdroid1a

debdroid1a New Member

Lovin my Droid4! Got it on release day.
    The keyboard is fantastic.
    The 4G is super fast.
    The screen is big enough and I'm happy with it.

I came from a D1 and it was time for a new phone. If that one ran a bit better (refresh was draining my nerves, I have little patience) I might have stayed with it longer, but I'm glad I updated.

8. RideZeLitenin

RideZeLitenin New Member

Oh yeah

I'm lovin' my new Droid 4! dancedroid Coming from an old LG Ally the difference is unbelievable. The only main gripe I have (besides battery life, but you can blame that on LTE I guess) is the Ghosting on the display. Other than that everything is just peachy
  9. renholder

renholder New Member

How's the battery life if you disable 4g at all times?
  10. Kas84

Kas84 New Member

Eh, mediocre at best. I had my 4G off since 5 PM and my battery was at 30% by midnight. Very disappointing. I'm in love with this keyboard but im seriously contemplating whether or not it would be woth it to get the Razr Maxx solely for the battery life. Maybe id get used to the virtual keyboard...idk. any thoughts/opinions? I know im not the only one here with the same concerns.....
  11. topfiveaudio

topfiveaudio New Member

Upgraded from OG to D4 and love it. I set up Motocast so now i have access to every file on my computer instantly. I spent some time with Smart Actions and have increased my battery life quite a bit. The keyboard is awesomely spaced and well lit. Once again, droid has changed my life.

12. me_droid

me_droid Member

What tweaks did you do in smart actions? I played around with it but am curious as to what you did to improve battery life.

13. RoninX

RoninX New Member

I love this phone! The keyboard is fantastic, and the performance is excellent. The screen could be better, but I can live with it. My only real concern was battery life, and it's been great. I can easily get through a day of normal (moderate) use on a single charge.
  14. dopeismarcus

dopeismarcus New Member

Upgraded from OG and I love this phone to death lol.
  15. daryls61

daryls61 Member

I am very happy with the droid 4. I wanted a slider and the keyboard is excellent. Very fast. Lots of memory available. Battery life is good if you only use 4g sparangly when those speeds are needed. Battery life was bad with my droid 1 so I just got used to having it pluged into computer at work, charging in car and I have an external charger when I am out all day.

Very nice phone.

16. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

The physical keyboard makes writing/editing much easier for me. Time and time again I've tried using Hacker's Keyboard on my girlfriend's Droid X. Mostly, it goes well but when it comes time to select some text, copy/paste or make some other key combo, enter an odd symbol, etc. my productivity grinds to a halt. For one reason or another I feel that virtual keyboards just aren't up to the task. This might change one day.
  17. snowman

snowman Member

I'm so glad I waited, and sent back the nexus, I love the D-4
  18. Hyde895

Hyde895 New Member

I'm loving every minute of it, I use a lot of the video game emulators and love being able to play most things at or near full speed without frame skipping. I keep saying this but, I love the motocast sync feature.
  19. chefboyardee

chefboyardee New Member

If you don't mind me asking, what widgets are you running? And what non-stock apps do you have installed? As I've reported in a few threads I'm extremely happy with my battery life and I'd love to get to the bottom of everyone's problems with theirs to find out where the issues are (and what apps I should avoid! ;))

Are you using live wallpapers or any widgets that could be heavily using the battery?

Also, how is your signal? Are you constantly searching for one, or do you have a solid 4-5 bars at all times?

Do you use bluetooth?
  20. LadyHottShott

LadyHottShott New Member

:hail: DROID 4 hehe

I am loving my new phone, my first smart phone.

I did a LOT of research before getting this phone - I mean months and months of research, as I didn't want to get the 'wrong' smartphone and end up hating it.

Coming from a basic phone, the Samsung Alias 2, this has opened a whole new world for me!

I love everything about the phone except two minor things, no camera button and I don't like how I can't change the text background color.

Keyboard is amazing, size is perfect, screen is awesome (I'm not one of those picky people I guess), call quality is great, 4g is FAST, battery life way above my expectations, Smart Actions are cool, and I could go on and on and on!

My favorite Smart Action is that my phone will text my hubby that I'm about to pull in our drive way when I get home from work late at night (as he works O/Ns), so he can know that I made it home safe. :)
Search tags for this page

does the droid 4 break easily

droid 4 happy

use motorola cellphone or smartphone without motocast